Stop trying to mount already! [solved-ish]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

Stop trying to mount already! [solved-ish]

Post by scrognoid »

A USB drive apparently went bad. It keeps trying to mount, over and over, popping up "cannot read superblock" in new popups. I am happy to reformat the whole thing if I could get it to stop trying to mount. I can only stop it by pulling the drive.

Is there a way to get the system to stop trying to mount the bad USB drive so I can try to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Stop trying to mount already!

Post by JerryF »

Try running Gparted. It will unmount disks other that the system you're currently on.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scrognoid »

The popups continued. gparted did not offer the device to select.
LM 21.3 Cinnamon; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

What Desktop environment? In Mate and Cinnamon the settings for auto-mount of external media are in your File manager preferences.

In XFCE there is a separate 'Removable Drives & Media' settings module.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
scrognoid
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scrognoid »

Thanks. Good to know.
Perhaps by accident, I got control of the drive by launching gparted after the drive was inserted and spewing error popup. Deleted the partition; couldn't reformat; tried Windows; did a slow format. The things still squawks when insert. Must be hardware failure. Seeking warranty replacement.

Return to “Storage”