Forum rules
Before you post please read this
waykat
Level 1
Level 1

Clone Mint 18.3 Partition from dual old boot HD to new Virgin HD

Post by waykat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:33 am

Hi All.

I'm an escapee from the dark M$ side to the new clear light Linux side and really enjoying Mint and learning more each and every day.

I'm actively using Mint 18.3 for work very successfully on a networked machine in the office and loving it, I also run dual boot on my Toshiba Satellite Pro R50-B laptop for out in the field on a and have reached a point where I no longer need to revert back to Windows on the laptop.

The 1TB hard drive in the laptop is a bit small so I went out and purchased a genuine 2TB Toshiba laptop sata drive to replace it with, I have watched hours of YouTube videos about cloning Hard drives but they all seem to deal with cloning drive to drive.

I don't want to clone drive to drive because I don't want the windows partition, what I want to do is to clone my current Linux Mint 18.3 partition from current 1TB dual boot drive to the new 2TB virgin drive that I have purchase and only run Linux mint 18.3 ( which I will then upgrade to Linux Mint 19 )

At the moment the 1TB Hard Drive in the laptop has just about run out of room with a very careful balancing act going on trying to keep 1GB free and using an external USB to save work on.

I purchased a USB 3, 2-1/2" enclosure to put the new 2TB 2-1/2" drive into thinking that it will make it easier to do the partition clone from the original laptop drive "partition" to the new virgin 2TB 2-1/2" Hard drive, the plan the nwas to just take out the original 1TB 2-1/2" drive and replace it with the new 2TB 2-1/2" Hard drive.

I plugged the USB 3, 2-1/2" enclosure with the new 2TB 2-1/2" drive in it into my main machine & created the new 2TB GPT partition and that all went well no problems there, I then unplugged plugged the USB 3, 2-1/2" enclosure with the new 2TB 2-1/2" drive in it from my main machine and plugged it into the UBS 3 port on my laptop with a Clonezilla bootable CD in the CD/DVD drive and proceeded to boot up in Clonezilla, that booted up fine into Clonezilla

I went through the procedure of doing a source partition clone from the Linux mint 18.3 partition on the original laptop hard drive to the new 2TB hard drive & that all seemed to go ok, I made sure that the Bios in my laptop was set to boot from USB and tested this with with a Linux mint bootable USB that I had made earlier & that booted fine.

When Clonezilla had finished & the laptop had successfully shut down I re powered up the laptop expecting it to boot from the newly created 2TB GPT partition with my freshly cloned Linux Mint 18.3 partition from thew original laptop drive BUT I was solely disappointed.

I have spent hours more reading, researching and watching Youtube videos but cannot find an answer, short of starting all over again with a whole new fresh install ( which I was trying to avoid ) I am not sure of what else to do.

I have taken screen shots of my partition make up but are not sure how to upload them I have had a brief look at the forums image upload page and have seen the 98k restriction

Any help or suggestions at this stage would be really appreciated.

Regards
Wayne.
Melb, Aust

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Clone Mint 18.3 Partition from dual old boot HD to new Virgin HD

Post by AndyMH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:05 am

When Clonezilla had finished & the laptop had successfully shut down I re powered up the laptop expecting it to boot from the newly created 2TB GPT partition with my freshly cloned Linux Mint 18.3 partition from thew original laptop drive BUT I was solely disappointed.
What happened, did it boot, did you have both win and mint?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

waykat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by waykat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:02 am

Hi AndyMH

No sadly when I rebooted it, the laptop didn't recognise the 2-1/2" 2TB Hard drive and it just booted the usual grub menu of the old 1TB hard drive.

I have since done even more research and have found this link (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=228540) & are following it to a T

I completely deleted and erased the 2TB that I spent so much time last night creating and have re-created it using the instructions in the above link, when it is finished writing the data to the newly created partition on the new 2TB Hard drive and I have followed all the rest of the instructions contained at the above link I will report back hopefully my success but I am keeping an open mind because there's a lot further to go & a lot more work to be done yet so fingers crossed but I am not getting my hope to high.

"if" this doesn't work and short of someone coming up with a different answer then i'll just go through the time consuming ordeal of installing Linux mint 19.1 from scratch then all the apps and copy over my data.

Regards
Wayne.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:30 am

Have to say when I recently cloned a 320G HDD to a 240G SSD all I did was shrink the partitions down with gparted until the total was less than 240G and then used Macrium Reflect to clone the drive. Straightforward and no problems.
"if" this doesn't work and short of someone coming up with a different answer then i'll just go through the time consuming ordeal of installing Linux mint 19.1 from scratch then all the apps and copy over my data.
If you end up doing this, this is where timeshift and backintime come to your rescue. Neither are installed by default in 18.3 so install from sw mgr. Timeshift insists on storing snapshots on an ext4 formatted drive, backintime doesn't care. 'Out of the box' timeshift defaults to backing up / but not /home, backintime is the opposite, so complementary. Use both to take snapshots of your old drive to an external drive. Install mint on your new drive, re-install backintime and timeshift, use both to restore. Both are file level backup utilities using rsync as opposed to the likes of clonezilla and macrium reflect being partition image backup utilities.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 am

I don't want to clone drive to drive because I don't want the windows partition, what I want to do is to clone my current Linux Mint 18.3 partition from current 1TB dual boot drive to the new 2TB virgin drive that I have purchase and only run Linux mint 18.3 ( which I will then upgrade to Linux Mint 19 )
waykat, It may save you some time by going ahead and doing a clean install now of 19.1 on the 2TB drive after backing up your data. The recommended procedure of upgrading from one release series (18) to another (19) is to do a clean install.

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:35 pm

I recently replaced my HDD with a new SSD in my laptop. See my post
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=290781&p=1612402#p1612402
I recommend a fresh install to your new drive. Probably save you a lot of time and headaches!
Using Timeshift between versions, 18.3 to 19.x is not recommended. If you like Mint 18.3 the ISO is still available at
https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=31, then you can use Timeshift.
In all cases back up your data! Then restore it to your new drive.
Hope this helps!
Edit
I still have my old HDD as it was before replacing it. I can connect it to my PC with a USB using a USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP – SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD - Hard Drive Adapter Cable . if I need to. If I don't use it in a year I'll probably repurpose it.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 am

Using Timeshift between versions, 18.3 to 19.x is not recommended
Agreed, this is okay if you stick with 18.3, if you try it 18.3 to 19.x you are likely to break your system.
USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable
These are not expensive and worth every penny, highly recommended and make life so much easier when cloning drives.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:06 am

Whatever approach a user takes to moving data to a new disk, the very first step is to make a separate backup of all important files and data. Do that whether attempting a clone, a partial clone, or a clean install.

Once the important data and files are backed up, then decide what method to take in moving from one disk to another.

A complete clone from one disk to another of the same size, should be fool-proof with a product like Clonezilla. To me, making a partial clone of one drive and inserting that to another is probably more complex and less certain than a clean install of the OS and restore of data and files from the backup to the new target disk. If the target disk is larger, then you are still left with re-configuring partitions to accommodate the additional size.

Doing a clean install, especially to a different sized target disk, will allow the user to control exactly how the new drive is setup with respect to partitions and size.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Mounting Partitions”