Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Teddy
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot resize when creating a partition for Linux Mint using Mac Disk Utility

Post by Teddy »

Hi Folks,
Hope you can help! I'm stuck at home with an old MacBook Air (2011) which is much improved when I use Mint via bootable USB. I'm a beginner when it comes to both Linux and partitioning hard drives, but I want to dual boot by installing Mint on part of my SDD. However, I have a problem creating the partition. I have a mid-2011 MacBook Air running High Sierra. 128GB SDD, showing 121GB total size and 80Gb available space. When I use Disk Utility to create a partition, either the field for choosing size is greyed out altogether, showing just 0.075Gb (if I select MS-DOS FAT), or it allows me to change the size to ...e.g 32Gb but then as soon as I try to create the partition, it reverts back to 0.075Gb (when I use APFS or MacOS Extended), does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I've posted a video here to explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtPoiQPJCI

P.S> I've already created a backup on TimeMachine for safety.

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot resize when creating a partition for Linux Mint using Mac Disk Utility

Post by powerwagon75 »

Hi Teddy,

Good that you've already backed up your info. I believe you need to shrink your existing partition to create free space first, then create the linux partition(s) as FAT. Mac has "containered" the whole hard drive space-- so reduce its size first to give free space for you to work with.
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.2
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Teddy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot resize when creating a partition for Linux Mint using Mac Disk Utility

Post by Teddy »

I've managed to delete unused partitions, but Disk Utility will not allow me to resize my main SDD, the container, or the partition that sits within the container. So my SDD is split like this, and none of them I can reduce in size, and neither can I add a partition greater than 0.075Gb.

SDD
|_Container Disk 1
_|_Macintosh HD
Last edited by Teddy on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Search on line for some guidance on setting up dual boot. Find search results that talk about disabling Journaling. I didn't take good notes when I did my a couple years ago, but I believe you need to get in to terminal, on your MAC, and disable Journaling, before you can re-size. You re-enable it after all resizing/partition making is done.

ps.. have you tried starting the laptop in recovery mode? I don't believe you can resize the partition (or volume) while you're using it.
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Teddy,

In Disk Utility, did you click on "view", and select show all? Was just curious because your video doesn't show much in they way of containers/volumes/etc.

Give this a watch: https://youtu.be/EcRlrGpKGh8

And some light reading: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/d ... l14027/mac
(Hope these offer you a little insight.)

Disregard what I wrote in my earlier post about the journaling issues. Don't think it applies in your case, as it appears you have Apple File System (APFS), and as such, it needs to be a little treated differently than conventional methods.
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Teddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teddy »

Thank you sir...appreciated. I'll take a look at the videos. I did select view all in the top left.(so am pretty sure I'm seeing all drives and sub drives). My Mac just doesn't seem to want to resize at all but I could be doing something wrong...I'll check out more Vids and hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”