NTFS Partition not getting write access with MintDisk

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sometimes fstab can be confusing, especially with UUID identification of the hard drives.
But if this disk is not present at all, including as a comment, then mintDisk should mount it as r/w
Something that has caused a lot of trouble for some people is that their partitions were screwed up.
Are the partitions on the disk created by Windows?
Also, Vista has the same NTFS as XP but something called Transactional NTFS is introduced an I don't know if that brings problems
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

CapnShiner wrote:
Husse wrote:Sometimes fstab can be confusing, especially with UUID identification of the hard drives.
But if this disk is not present at all, including as a comment, then mintDisk should mount it as r/w
Something that has caused a lot of trouble for some people is that their partitions were screwed up.
Are the partitions on the disk created by Windows?
Also, Vista has the same NTFS as XP but something called Transactional NTFS is introduced an I don't know if that brings problems
The partitions on that HD were created by Windows. It's a 200gb drive with 3 partitions. They are all NTFS. The first partition is 40gb and originally had WinXP on it but I quick-formatted it and installed Vista Ultimate. The other two partitions are 80gb each and are extended partitions containing nothing but video files (anime, if you must know). Nothing should have changed with the partition table, that I'm aware of. I'm thinking of reporting a bug to Clem.
Did you try to use automatix2? I found the utility that can be installed using automatix very helping. It solved some problems I had.
Husse

Post by Husse »

In the worst case it's because of Vista - worst because we'll get problems.
I'll report this to Clem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Want me to give that a try?
Yes, most definitely! If the problems disappear we know it has to do with Vista. Let's just hope Vista didn't do something to the partition table.....
You see mintDisk uses ntfs-3g when mounting - unless you've changed that - please check! Before the formatting - could save some work if it has been changed :)
Square Bottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Square Bottle »

Same problem here. External USB hard drive, single NTFS partition, formatted by XP. But really, if they're valid NTFS drives, should it matter anyway if they're made by Vista or not?

I've tried the Automatix2 solution already because normally I'm a fan of Automatix, but for me, it actually made things worse (not mounted at all). Being lazy and having all my stuff on another drive anyway I simply reinstalled Linux Mint on the computer so that I'd at least have read access.

Not a big deal. I'll hold off for a day or two before formatting to XFS or something (I've been switched to Linux for a long time now, but never felt the need to reformat that drive). :3
Square Bottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Square Bottle »

Update: I went ahead and formatted the drive. It's now XFS, and the reason why I'm posting this here is because it still mounts as read only. Thus, are we sure that this is an NTFS-specific issue? Or that NTFS is even relevant? Just a thought. I will try ext3 and ReiserFS as well just for the sake of being thorough. Edit: Indeed, ext3 and reiserfs are mounted as read only as well. And for the record, I've been using gparted. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok - if you are not using fat or ntfs mintDisk is not involved - can you post your fstab and tell us which disk is the USB one if that's not obvious
Here is an example of an internal partition (not different from disk) that's R/W

Code: Select all

/dev/sda6  /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
An external would be slightly different
Square Bottle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Square Bottle »

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=e429b3ed-c5a1-4b52-b88c-6686bc661f7a /               xfs     defaults        0       1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=9474b46e-a86a-4537-9e23-f490a83ed253 /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
# /dev/sda2
UUID=05a9f07f-4367-46ba-b6ee-f58aea39de22 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
Hmm, well, I don't see it on there at all, unless I'm overlooking something. It's formatted as ReiserFS right now. But the icon is on the desktop, and when I try to put anything on the disk it does give me the "read only" message, so it knows its there and there must be something telling it to be RO.
Husse

Post by Husse »

What's /dev/sda3 ?
It's xfs and in your previous post you said you used xfs
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Rename /usr/bin/os-prober to /usr/bin/os-prober.bak
Then reboot and mow the ntfs drives will be mounted with mintDisk.

Return to “Storage”