How Do You Make A Bootable Windows 10 Flashdrive in Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Heat84

How Do You Make A Bootable Windows 10 Flashdrive in Mint?

Post by Heat84 »

I was trying to put Windows 10 on a flash drive, which I did with no problem except it won't boot. First I tried USB Image Writer and then UNetbootin. Finally I tried BalenaEtcher-1.5.109-x64 which told me that the ISO image was missing a partition table which would render it unbootable.

Why won't the ISO boot? Why is it missing a partition table? I downloaded another ISO(a different rip of a different version of Windows 10) and got the same "Missing Partition Table" error massage.
I don't have access to a working Windows partition because of this, so I have to do it in Mint. :(

:?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
londoner
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How Do You Make A Bootable Windows 10 Flashdrive in Mint?

Post by londoner »

Windows 10 will not boot from a USB made from tools like the Mint Image Writer.
The easiest way is to use Ventoy. Download from ventoy.net which points to https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/releases.
Then I suggest you watch this video made by Leo Chavez, the lead host of the mintCast podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXMGpV8_Dc
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

It seems several have been successful using WoeUSB to make a bootable Windows USB on Linux. I have yet to make it work though. Easiest for me has been to use Windows USB creation tool on a Windows machine.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

This works fine with Linux give it a try and tell us. Where sdx your USB. This command will delete everything in the USB.

Code: Select all

sudo dd status=progress  bs=4096 if=/location_of_the.iso of=/dev/sdx ; sync
Heat84

Post by Heat84 »

I was able to do it on a Windows machine (that I forgot I had access to) with Rufus. Why is making a bootable Windows USB too complicated for Linux? What about a bootable Windows DVD? Can Linux handle that?

Thanks for the help though.

Edit:I'm not sure if this constitutes solving the issue. I did it, but not in Linux. WoeUSB has me intrigued, so I'll play with that one day soon.
Taylor07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Taylor07 »

It seems WoeUSB is impossible to install now. Unsatisfiable dependencies. I searched for a while and can't find them. Any other suggestions?
It can't be that hard to create a damn Windows USB stick on linux.

Return to “Storage”