[Solved] HDD not automounting with fstab

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jake_UK
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] HDD not automounting with fstab

Post by Jake_UK »

Hi,

I used the 'Edit mount options...' tool in the Disks app to generate the fsab entry for an NTFS HDD that gets shared between my (brand new) Mint 20 and Win 10 dual boots. Unfortunately, although it's set it up just fine for reading, writing, etc. I need to manually click on the icon to actually mount it first - it's not getting automounted through etc/fstab as it should.

Can anyone spot the error? Also, is the LABEL part redundant as it's the same as the mount point?

Code: Select all

/dev/disk/by-uuid/3336C4347970C4EA LABEL=1TB-HDD /mnt/1TB-HDD auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
TIA!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: HDD not automounting with fstab

Post by gittiest personITW »

Just to check - have you ticked the box for that drive in Disks that says 'Mount at System Startup'?
If so, can you post back with all the settings you have for that drive.
Yes, take out the LABEL info.
Jake_UK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HDD not automounting with fstab

Post by Jake_UK »

'Mount at system startup' and 'Show in user interface' ticked, 'Require additional authorisation to mount' unticked.

I tidied up the line to the below and somehow it appears to have done something as it now automounts as expected, not sure what the difference/issue was though!

Code: Select all

UUID=2C12845812842942 /mnt/1TB-HDD auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Return to “Storage”