unnecessary error message: unable to mount (Sony) walkman

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rawimage

unnecessary error message: unable to mount (Sony) walkman

Post by rawimage »

hi everyone,

whenever I connect my Sony Walkman NW-A45 to my PC (Linux Mint Mate 20 - Kernel: 5.4.0-56), an error message pops up: "unable to mount walkman - unable to open MTP device "001,007" (please see screenshot). A fraction of a second later, both "walkman" and "SD card" are correctly mounted - and file transfer/copy & paste between Sony and PC works perfectly. The Sony also sync with Clementine no problem.

As on the screenshot, for some reason, the file system lists both cards as well as a third one - I don't know why, it never happened on Cinnamon (which I replaced with Mate as the latter seems to be running way better on my old laptop). It feels like Mint is trying to mount a third memory card...I tried installing "mtp-tools", "go-mtpfs", and "jmptpfs", to no avail. In the Sony settings, there's no option to switch from "mtp" to (first thing that comes to my mind) "ptp", or the like.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this annoying error message? thanks.
Attachments
Sony.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: unnecessary error message: unable to mount (Sony) walkman

Post by Flemur »

rawimage wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:24 pmIs there anything I can do to get rid of this annoying error message? thanks.
If you do an internet search on linux "unable to mount walkman" you'll get some posts in this forum.

FWIW, when I attach an LG Android phone, the file-browser shows one name mounted, then briefly shows two names, then shows only the second one, which works fine for transferring files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
rawimage

Re: unnecessary error message: unable to mount (Sony) walkman

Post by rawimage »

same with my Android smartphone, except that it doesn't seem to apply to the Sony walkman at issue...

i searched the forum again (and other forums) and couldn't find a solution. Any idea?

Return to “Storage”