Expand root partition to include Windows 'shrunk space'

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GaryAtHome
Level 1
Level 1

Expand root partition to include Windows 'shrunk space'

Post by GaryAtHome »

HI, and thanks in advance for your time,
Got tired of Windows, so I tried Mint, (32 bit Xfce now 18.3 dual boot, on a 2006 Dell desktop with an sdb just for timeshift). Made a 200gb partition for Mint on sda. I am finally at the point where Windows is only used 4-5 times a year, and my Mint is getting full. Shrunk windows, but now I am at the point where the FEAR sets in.
After 5+- years of Mint experience, I still consider myself a newbie. I think it is because Windows needs WEEKS per year of research and repair and Mint maybe a day or two.
If somebody could walk me through the steps to include 'unallocated' into 'root', I would be forever grateful. I just can't mentally afford to "TRY" something. Wife is dealing with cancer and I don't have the time to start from scratch.
Won't let me add a pic, soooo..Left partition is small 'unallocated', then Windows then 'unallocated'(my target for inclusion), followed by root then swap.
Thanks again, Gary
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Expand root partition to include Windows 'shrunk space'

Post by LanceM »

Being as 18.3 expires spring 2021, I'd advise a clean install of 20 or 20.1 (to be released soon).
Failing to convince you to do that, you can launch Disks from the menu and post a picture of the layout, it would be a start to advising you how. You can not easily move root or expand it to the left.
Last edited by LanceM on Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaryAtHome
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GaryAtHome »

Thank you, I was hoping to avoid that. I don't really trust that Timeskip will aid me in that.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Timeskip? That's a new one on me.
GaryAtHome
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GaryAtHome »

Ooops....TimeSHIFT. Sorry
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Timeshift won't work when doing a clean install. You might look at it this way come spring; support will be over for 18.3 and you'll need to face that. So back to my advice and do a clean install. Also you never posted my request in the first post for your layout. Also you can undoubtedly gain some space by following the cleanup steps here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
GaryAtHome
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GaryAtHome »

Hi again,
I am sorry, I missed the request for the layout. Not being rude, just reading too fast I guess. I tried, in the first post, to att a pic but it would not let me. I tried to describe it in the last line. I will try again...nope 'board attachment quota reached'.
Left partition is small 'unallocated', then Windows then 'unallocated'(my target for inclusion), followed by root then swap.

Had more thoughts, regarding upgrade. I agree with you, but I am kinda hoping for another upgrade tool. It started popping up on my update page about a year and a half ago. Using that I was able to upgrade, in place, from 17-17.3, then 17.3-18.1, then 18.2 and finally 18.3. I THINK I used Timeshift for SOMETHING, but honestly don't remember.
I appreciate your input, but please don't kill yourself. I already feel guilty just asking for help. I am USUALLY the helper.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

So it would be very difficult to fix. I've used gparted during a live session and a portable drive with Ext4 file system on it. Then copied and pasted them into it and then put them back. All this is not for a newbie. I still think the best for you is clean install. Yes something is wrong with the upload. I'm contacting an admin about it.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

The admin fixed the upload problem.
GaryAtHome
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GaryAtHome »

Sorry to bother you again, but you got me thinking too much. My machine is 32 bit, so 19 is my upgrade limit. But first I need the space. You seem rather knowledgeable, so input on my logic is appreciated. My outline:

1. Make my sdb bootable.
2. Create 150gb partition, mount at root
3. Create 2gb partition, linux-swap
4. Copy my sda root to sdb root
5. update grub2 with 'GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false', then reboot to sdb, HOPEFULLY
6. Make my partition changes on sda, copy sdb root to sda and repeat step 5 while on sdb

IN MY MIND, the only issue may be 'double grubbing', which I think will work itself out after I revert sdb back to Timeshift storage for Mint Upgade.
Hopefully not wishful thinking, nor wasting your time.
Gary
Attachments
gparted.jpg
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Afraid not. Logical partitions and dual boot is not my cup of tea. Perhaps someone else can assist you. Good luck, sorting it out.

Return to “Storage”