Unable to mount USB Flash Drive after using it as swap memory [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Unable to mount USB Flash Drive after using it as swap memory [SOLVED]

Post by WadeWayne »

I'm unable to mount my USB flash drive after using it as swap memory.

I'm still able to use it as swap memory, but unable to mount it.
How do I mount it :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unable to mount USB Flash Drive after using it as swap memory

Post by ajgreeny »

I thought it was impossible to use a USB drive as swap, but aside from that uncertainty, I suspect you may need to create a new filesystem, probably fat using command mkfs.fat or more easily perhaps using gparted.

If you simply need to use it as a mass-storage device you can also use mkusb, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb which is also used to create bootable USB devices with which you can, for example, install a Linux distro iso image file.
WadeWayne
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Unable to mount USB Flash Drive after using it as swap memory

Post by WadeWayne »

ajgreeny wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:39 pm I thought it was impossible to use a USB drive as swap, but aside from that uncertainty, I suspect you may need to create a new filesystem, probably fat using command mkfs.fat or more easily perhaps using gparted.

If you simply need to use it as a mass-storage device you can also use mkusb, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb which is also used to create bootable USB devices with which you can, for example, install a Linux distro iso image file.

:D sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1 worked!
Thanks, ajgreeny! :)
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3
DE: Cinnamon 4.4.8

Return to “Storage”