Can't mount SDHC Card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BeyondBirthday08

Can't mount SDHC Card

Post by BeyondBirthday08 »

So i have a 32GB SDHC Card that i use on my Nintendo 3DS and it works just fine on my 3DS, my sister's notebook with Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon and also worked on my windows 10 that i had installed on my notebook, i had installed Mint 20 Ulyana and it couldn't mount my SD card it would just say that "Unable to mount location" "Can't mount file", i thought i had broken something in my installation of Mint so i did a clean install of Mint Cinnamon the same my sister is using on her notebook but when i tried using the SD it gives me the same error, i ran the command "sudo udisksctl mount -b /dev/mmcblk0" and got the following output:

Code: Select all

Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/mmcblk0 is not a mountable filesystem.
, do i have to format the card or something? i inserted a 2GB sd card to check if it would give me error aswell but it works so far the only card that won't mount is my 32gb, any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't mount SD Card

Post by ricardogroetaers »

BeyondBirthday08 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:47 pm So i have a 32GB SDHC Card ....
Card is SDHC type, not SD type.
It could be incompatibility of your notebook's card reader with the card model. But you declare that your Windows 10, on the same notebook, recognizes the card.

Is your Windows 10 with disabled quick start? Disable it.
Did you format your SDHC in Windows 10?
Is exfat support installed on your Mint 20? Install.

Does the "Disks" program recognize your card?
If you recognize, post a picture.

I am not the first person to report this problem on Ubuntu/Mint 20. I cannot reproduce the phenomenon, I do not have this card model or Mint 20.
BeyondBirthday08

Re: Can't mount SD Card

I no longer have windows 10 on my notebook i only have mint 20 Cinnamon now, when i got the card i did format it on windows 10, not sure if exfat is installed i'll check that out, disks only show my hard drive and the CD/DVD Drive.

EDIT: Exfat support is already installed
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can't mount SDHC Card

Post by deck_luck »

While the SD Card is accessible, please run the following commands:

sudo lsblk -f 
sudo file -sl /dev/mmcblk0
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
BeyondBirthday08

Update: so yesterday i put the sd on my sisters notebook to backup the data and format it, when i put the card on her pc i tried copying files to the desktop but it gave me an error and then just stopped being able to read the card aswell it said the card had an unrecognized disk label, and my phone said the disk had to be formatted, the only device that could read it was my 3DS for some reason, so i made a backup with an FTP homebrew from it to my pc, now i tried formatting it on my pc using gparted and it said i had to create a partition table so i tried doing that, it would attempt to create the partition but wasn't doing anything so i decided to format it on my phone, it worked my phone can read the card but now my notebook can't read any card i put on it including this one, card reads fine on my sister's notebook though, i ran the

lspci -v
command and got the following output of the 3 SD card reader related things that showed up:

02:00.1 SD Host controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 SDXC/MMC Card Reader (rev 10) (prog-if 01)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] BCM57765/57785 SDXC/MMC Card Reader
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	Memory at c0400000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci
	Kernel modules: sdhci_pci

02:00.2 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 MS Card Reader (rev 10)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] BCM57765/57785 MS Card Reader
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
	Memory at c0410000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]

02:00.3 System peripheral: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM57765/57785 xD-Picture Card Reader (rev 10)
	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] BCM57765/57785 xD-Picture Card Reader
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
	Memory at c0420000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]
Could this be a driver issue?
BeyondBirthday08

Update: Turns out it's not reading the card on my sister's notebook, it's the same as mine except it reads it some times, and sometimes it says it can't mount the card because it can't read the superblock, but on my phone and my 3ds it works fine, i'm beginning to think that mint 20 is somehow causing the issue and might have corrupted my card on my attempts of getting it to read, any ideas?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

How old is the card? It may be that it's reach its limit of reads/writes.
BeyondBirthday08

It's fairly new, i bought it at around august last year
arnoldloudly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arnoldloudly »

Partly to keep the thread alive, but also because i have spent many [so many] hours on many OS's and sacrificed several memory cards of varying descriptions, I am going to throw in my 2 cents of purely practical, I-know-cos-I-did-it-loads* knowledge of Mint vs sd cards.

*in spite of this admission, I am certain someone will feel I should read more books or something.

My Mint [Cinnamon. naturally] laptop - via gpart, discs [handy af] and a smattering of others - does a bloody good job with storage - 99% hassle-free. But it's so moody dealing with sdcards/some thumb drives. So it's not you, probably. Besides trying another distro likely more foriegn, my main advice is, sadly, that keeping Win [7>] around to use the disc management tools pay's off and provide's a benchmark by which to judge how you & linux are jiving. While I rarely boot it now, I got it on a partition somewhere, and when Mint meets and hates a new card - with no care for branding - I occasionally have to reformat in Win before it'll work in Mint.

A good quality card reader/adapter is essential to rule out the problem's caused by some pound-shop rubbish, and an eye on the cards age/use history will save you many headaches, as will a bit of knowledge. Knowing some term cmds, like that in the above answers, is not just satisfying, but is it's own reward way sooner than you'd expect, and it goes double for partitions and formatting.

Before I go away [..feint clapping..]... I have used several distro's, arch and debian based: They all got quirks. One or two are really good. However, Mint 2022 is an amazing all round experience, and it replaced Win easily for me back on 17.x. Handling sd cards and thumb drive is a rare inconsistency.

I will dispel one myth. Mint won't/maybe can't? KILL cards. Unless you tell it very specifically to do that, or be dumb by pulling [Yes I have] the card mid write, etc. It may refuse to read contents and/or display labels/ID's/part.data. Or refuse to mount a card it swear's had a successful format 10 mins ago.
It may deny the cards existence - but it doesn't do murder.

Return to “Storage”