Mount NTFS partition problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KapitanPL

Mount NTFS partition problem

Post by KapitanPL »

Hi guys,

I have strange problem and I do not know what more to try/google.

My common setup on dual boot PC's is to have a "share" partition between the two OS to store data. Usually FAT32 or NTFS. This time I wanted to use NTFS.

Everything works fine if I mount it manually:

Code: Select all

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda6 /home/tpnsvo/share
If I add the fstab entry, I am unable to use/access the disk. I add to fstab what I see after

mount | grep sda6
my fstab entry:

/dev/sda6 /home/tpnsvo/share    ntfs-3g   rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0
How do I find out what is wrong?

How do I know what is wrong? "/home/tpnsvo/share" is empty (even though there are files) and GParted Shows warning (roughly translated I use localized Linux)
"Can not read the content of the filesystem.... possibly package missing ntfs-3g..." (Obviously tne ntfs-3g is installed as manual mount works, but fails as fstab entry.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mount NTFS partition problem

Post by AndyMH »

This is what my fstab entry looks like for my shared ntfs partition on a dual boot system:

# mount point for windows D:
UUID=1A7C80714BFAF6B2 /home/andy/data           ntfs    windows_names,auto,users,uid=1000,gid=1000,noatime        0       2
You get the UUID by typing blkid in a terminal. Replace ntfs-3g with ntfs. Don't know where you got user_id from, but 0 would assign ownership to root which I suspect is not what you want. The first user is assigned uid=1000 which is normally you.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

Thank you AndyMH. As far as I know both ntfs and ntfs-3g works in fstab.
But I tried your solution, it does not work.

I have mounted ntfs drives milion times before. There is something strange. And I need to find out what.

If I try to setup the fstab entry via disk manager, it still does not work. No idea how to mount the partition via fstab.

And if I let thunar to mount it (by clicking on the partition it mounts just fine...
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

"Solved"
by using

UUID=6EA64D11A64CDB6B /mnt/share ntfs rw,auto,user,fmask=133,dmask=022,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0 
And one of the problems is that mounting to /home/my_name does not work. So simlinking... Still, if anyone understands this better and can advise me how to mount to /home/tpnsvo/share I would appreciate that.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

/mnt/share will be owned by root unless you've chowned it back to you. You should be able to mount in /home/tpnsvo/share, just make sure the folder exists, as you can see from my previous I'm mounting in /home/andy/data. Maybe it doesn't like share, try a different folder in home?

Note - I've got windows_names in the fstab options to stop linux writing files to ntfs with characters not allowed in windows filenames.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

Thanks Andy,

I have seen the windows_names. But can you find a reason why I can not fstab mount in user home folder?
But I can in location owned by root?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

No idea, try a different folder other than share.
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

Seems the problem is encrypted home folder.
Therefore when mounting via fstab the folder is encrypted and can not access its content to mount to folder inside it.

People use different things. Like mount scripts on login. I believe my solution with symlink is as good.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

KapitanPL wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 am Seems the problem is encrypted home folder.
Now you tell me!!! The contents of fstab are read on boot before you login.
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

I forgot that I selected to encrypt home. :D (Work PC, on my private I usualy don't do it)
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

KapitanPL wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 am This time I wanted to use NTFS.
Invoking the file system mount in "/home/your username/", will be difficult.
If you want to mount in the standard (or almost standard) location, please post the output of the commands:
cat /etc/fstab
lsblk -fi
id
KapitanPL

Post by KapitanPL »

Thank you, mountint to "standard" location worked just fine.

Return to “Storage”