Disk error on SD video cards being used in trail camera

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Disk error on SD video cards being used in trail camera

Post by wpshooter »

When using an ImageMate Sandisk SD card in one of my trail cameras I received the following error message when running Linux Mint mate disk check on the SD card:

Error repairing filesystem on /dev/sdc1: Process reported exit code 1
fsck.fat4.1 (2017-01-24)
(udisks-error-quark,0)

Does this error message only mean that the FAT of the SD card is corrupt or could it mean that there are actual surface defects on the SD card ?
Also, what does the (2017-01-24) after fsck.fat4.1 mean ? Is this the manufacture date of this SD card ?

Further, I have other Sandisk SD cards (in particular) a extreme version which is 90 mb/s as opposed to the 120 mb/s of the ImageMate SD and I have not experienced any of these problems with the 90 mb/s SD card. Could it be that the trail camera is not compatible with the faster 120 mb/s card ?

And yes, I have called the trail camera maker about this problem but it is impossible to get a definitive answer as to exactly what speed SD cards are compatible with their cameras from them - Browning.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Disk error on SD video cards being used in trail camera

Post by AndyMH »

For some reason some camera SD cards do not play well with linux. The 32GB SD card from my pentax cannot be read in mint with the SD card in the SD slot in my thinkpad T430. But plug the SD into a SD to USB adapter and plug it into a usb port and all is well? Reformat the card to fat32 in linux and the camera insists on reformatting it? Doesn't solve your problem, but you are not alone.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”