Pendrive problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stefano_IT

Pendrive problem

Post by Stefano_IT »

Hello everyone, sorry for my english (translated with google)

I need help with a usb pen that doesn't mount,hope this is the right forum section.

The Kingston USB pen 16 GB was NTFS formatted, maybe I removed it without unmount it first and later it gave problems.
Inserting it back into the PC a message appeared in English indicating a problem and suggesting to use Scandisk on a Windows system.
I turned on an old PC with Windows, used Scandisk and everything was solved, I saw my files and I immediately saved them.
After saving I decided to format the pendrive for safety, I did the formatting in NTFS again
Formatting was successful and it seemed that the problem was fixed for good.
Evidently, however, something has been damaged in the pendrive because it soon returned unusable, if I insert it it appears on the desktop (in light gray) but in no way it is mounted. (not even using Windows, I can't scandisk anymore because it doesn't mount)

On Linux Mint an error message appears and says it is impossible to mount.
I've tried using Mint's disk utility and also Gparted but can't do anything if it doesn't mount.

I can return it and get a replacement or a refund (I bought it on Amazon) but there was a lot of sensitive data on the USB stick (including passwords) I have already recovered them but before returning it I would like to do a true secure cancellation.

Using lsusb it is seen
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0951: 1666 Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 G3 / G4 / SE9 G2

with sudo fdisk -l I get:
Disk / dev / sdb: 14.45 GiB, 15502147584 bytes, 30277632 sectors
Disk model: DataTraveler 3.0
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical / physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I / O size (minimum / optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x2be22005

There is no unit associated with this usb pen, is it possible to try something?
I am not interested in recovering the data (I have already done so)
I just want to be able to access the pen to do a secure erase and later return it.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stefano_IT

Re: Pendrive problem

Post by Stefano_IT »

I add more information: in Linux Mint "disks" it is seen but it is not possible to mount it, it says "read only"
However, this type of pen has no physical protection against writing (there are no levers to move)

Return to “Storage”