Automounted External Freecom Drive Owned By Root

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Automounted External Freecom Drive Owned By Root

Post by jvaes »

The same over here.
An USB external Freecom 640Gb ntfs-drive with 2 partitions was and still is connected to the back of my PC since the installation of Mint v20.1 . What ever I change in Disks -> mounting options or fstab --- the ownership of partition 1 remains on root.
And adding its mount in fstab is very dependend on what you do in Disks-mounting options. Which, by the way, changes settings in fstab in sometimes an unpredictable way.
Partition 1 with owner root is slower and demands my password to umount.
Partition 2 with owner user is faster and asks nothing.
How to change the ownership of partition 1 into user too?

This is a copy of what happens in the terminal:

Code: Select all

intel@intel:~$ umount /dev/sdd2
intel@intel:~$ umount /dev/sdd1
umount: /media/intel/Freecom: umount failed: Operation not permitted.
intel@intel:~$
Attachments
freecom.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Automounted External Drive Owned By Root

Post by AndyMH »

If you are trying to mount an ntfs partition the options in fstab need to include uid=1000,gid=1000 otherwise it will be read only.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

Reading nor writing to the ntfs system is not the problem as both are allowed and functioning in Mint.
The problem is easy dismounting as being no root I have to use sudo. And why only partition 2 is no root from installation on?
On my PC there is only one user active after logging in with the password. So next question: who is that other user?

Below the content of fstab where Freecom is added by Disks

# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=eaa43f5d-6b29-491c-838e-1f9088475342 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=f29ac587-45ee-41ea-afd8-4c7cac0d6e1e none            swap    sw              0       0
# Freecom usb drive 
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Freecom_Mobile_Drive_XXS_3397174AACFF-0:0-part1 /media/intel/Freecom auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
Attachments
Freecom umount.png
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Unmount the partition:

sudo umount /media/intel/Freecom
Then change this:
/dev/sdd1 /media/intel/Freecom auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0
To this:
/dev/sdd1 /media/intel/Freecom auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,user,x-gvfs-show 0
user == gives an ordinary user the ability to mount and unmount a partition without sudo.

Note: According to the output of blkid you have no /dev/sdd1 sooooo.....
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

I first deleted the noauto option and got even more problems. Went to the internet and searched for fstab+noauto. Many sites found. How noauto works is a bit hard to understand as it should prohibiting mounting at boot (I think). Still facing problems after a reboot I decided to add the noauto option back. Do not why but now it works. Not the root but I as user am the owner of all rights on the Freecom.
And for some reason the Freecom entry in fstab is gone. Disks and fstab communicate a lot and often change settings into one another I do not understand why. Have to say that I also do not understand why sometimes a second folder /media/user/Freecom1 with data is active and the /media/user/Freecom is still there but empty. Just deleting the empty folder Freecom solves that problem. After an umount-mount all folders are in /media/intel/Freecom again and Freecom1 is gone.
All works so I will now stay away from it 8)
However. One question remains: what is the function/impact of the "User Session Defaults" button in Disks mounting option?
Attachments
owner.png
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Automounted External Freecom Drive Owned By Root

Post by karlchen »

<mod>
Split from the other similar thread, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=344652
Thread hijacking is not appreciated. And it makes answering and replying confusing. Whose answers are addressed to whom?
</mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Automounted External Freecom Drive Owned By Root

Post by AndyMH »

However. One question remains: what is the function/impact of the "User Session Defaults" button in Disks mounting option?
No idea, stopped using disks to modify fstab a long time ago. Much better to edit fstab manually, that way you know what you are doing.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”