SOLVED How to change Partions Linux Mint 20.1 Toughbook CF30

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Fiber Guy
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED How to change Partions Linux Mint 20.1 Toughbook CF30

Post by The Fiber Guy »

When I installed Linux Mint 20.1 on my Toughbook CF 30 Mark 3 I had Mint create a single installation.

The Partitions are;
Partition 1 - Filesystem 537MB FAT
Partiton 2 - Extended Partition 500GB
Partition 5 - File System 500GB ext4
Freespace 1.1MB

My Toughbook has 4gb of Ram.
The Swap File showes;
NAME TYPE SIZE USED PRIO
/swapfile file 2G 0B -2

And free -h shows total used free shared buff/cache available
Mem: 3.7Gi 1.0Gi 1.4Gi 104Mi 1.2Gi 2.3Gi
Swap: 2.0Gi 0B 2.0Gi

I believe I would like to increase the swap file size and prepare for Timeslip backup (maybe using btsfs).

I have read that one should consider have partitons for Home and others.Plus I believe that I can run gparted from the iso of Mint 20.1 to change partitions on the install drive just so long as I don't decrease the partition where all the programs reside.

If I want to add a second hard drive how should it be partitoned?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to change Partions Linux Mint 20.1 Toughbook CF30

Post by Moonstone Man »

The Fiber Guy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm My Toughbook has 4gb of Ram.
You might be unaware of this so I'll mention it. The Linux kernel has a built-in module called zram, and with 4GB of RAM, you might benefit enormously from it because it can effectively double your 4GB to closer to 8GB by using compression, and it should also noticeably increase performance. In particular, it might help to negate the need for more swap space.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... /zram.html
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/05/14 ... able-zram/

You might want to check it out, do a little research and decide if it's suitable for you.
The Fiber Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Fiber Guy »

Cool will look into and report back. Thank you
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

The Fiber Guy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm ...
I believe I would like to increase the swap file size and prepare for Timeslip backup (maybe using btsfs).
I believe you can use BTRFS (vs. RSYNC) in Timeshift only on a partition that's formatted as BTRFS.
The Fiber Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Fiber Guy »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm
The Fiber Guy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm My Toughbook has 4gb of Ram.
You might be unaware of this so I'll mention it. The Linux kernel has a built-in module called zram, and with 4GB of RAM, you might benefit enormously from it because it can effectively double your 4GB to closer to 8GB by using compression, and it should also noticeably increase performance. In particular, it might help to negate the need for more swap space.

You might want to check it out, do a little research and decide if it's suitable for you.
Hi Kadaitcha Man. Zram sounds like the way I would like to go. Besides the Toughbook CF 30 I have a Ubuntu 20.04 Machine with 8gb of RAM and this machine is for a testing isolated install of Magento 2.4.2.

Do you have any suggestions for the conf files for my two machines and the adjustment to the conf files for swap?

The Ubuntu machine takes a while to boot and become active because it is loading a LAMP with Elasticsearch. I think zram should help. I run Magento through the Browser since this Machine is not a dedicated server but a sandbox for learning how to use and deploy Magento.

Thank you for this suggestion.
The Fiber Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Fiber Guy »

JerryF wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:46 pm
The Fiber Guy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm ...
I believe you can use BTRFS (vs. RSYNC) in Timeshift only on a partition that's formatted as BTRFS.
In order to do this would I have to use gparted from the Live Ubuntu ISO? How big of a BTRFS partion should I make and if I have a second hard drive how should I partition it since my plan for that drive is to have a clone of my main hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

The Fiber Guy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 am and if I have a second hard drive how should I partition it since my plan for that drive is to have a clone of my main hard drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You don't understand clone = make an identical copy of the source drive. So it doesn't matter how it was partitioned beforehand, it will get overwritten. Also you can't have two identical bootable drives in the system at the same time - it confuses BIOS on which system to boot.

What you want is an drive/partition image backup utility so you can take images of your partitions and store them as files on another drive. foxclone is one, clonezilla is another.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Storage”