Disk Activity on System Tray

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KeithOfOhio
Level 1
Level 1

Disk Activity on System Tray

Post by KeithOfOhio »

Have a computer which lacks any indicator of hard disk activity. It takes from 10-100 seconds for applications to launch on my Dell Inspirion quad-core under Linux Mint 2.0 with Cinnamon 4.8.6 laptop. I run only basic office applications on this stand alone system. With no indicator to see "something" is happening, I am tempted to launch again and again. I miss having an LED that blinked when there was disk activity. Prior to upgrading from Windows 10 on this computer, I used a system tray program which indicated both reading and writing was going on with the solitary hard drive. Looked all over and have not found an equivalent program for Linux Mint/Cinnamon which will put some form of indicator of hard disk activity on the system tray. Can not imagine this not being a standard feature; if not, at least available as an add-on program. Found reference to DiskLED and Activity programs; but, could not download/install either and understand both are defunct.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Disk Activity on System Tray

Post by LanceM »

There is an included Applet named Multi-Core-System Monitor. To enable it:
Right click panel>Applets>Download>Refresh cache>scroll to the applet>click down arrow ti its right>back to manage tab>click the applet and go down at bottom and click the +
Done!
KeithOfOhio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithOfOhio »

>>>There is an included Applet named Multi-Core-System Monitor. To enable it:

You did not detail where to go; so, I went to system-settings-> and FOUND NO SUCH ITEM; Went system-setting->applets-> and also FOUND NO SUCH ITEM. I am not a master linux user; so, are there applet menus elsewhere? This renders the rest of your offer not possible.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

KeithOfOhio wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:48 pm >>>There is an included Applet named Multi-Core-System Monitor. To enable it:

You did not detail where to go; so, I went to system-settings-> and FOUND NO SUCH ITEM; Went system-setting->applets-> and also FOUND NO SUCH ITEM. I am not a master linux user; so, are there applet menus elsewhere? This renders the rest of your offer not possible.
I recommend an Applet called "Disk Read and Write Speed"
To download it
Do the following

Start>System Settings>Applets
Click the Downloads tab
Applets.png
Click the Down Arrow to download it
Then click Manage tab, Select the downloaded applet, then press +
Applets2.png
Right click the applet on the taskbar, select "Disk" to select the disk or partition you want to monitor.
Applets3.png
Applets3.png (45.08 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
Selecting "Configure" will allow you to change settings for the applet.
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
KeithOfOhio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KeithOfOhio »

My Dell started failing; so, upgraded to a more modern HP. Found the applet, installed it, and found it TOO LIMITED to be of any use. It would only show one of many partitions on my disk. I continue to look for something that will show ANY activity happening ON the disk REGARDLESS of where on that disk. Guess I am just an old fuddy duddy living in the age of legacy where we watched for security breeches by noting activity NOT expected. Today, privacy has been LOST!!! I did install the Multi Core System Monitor applet which shows CPU, Mem, Net, and Disk activity. Since ONLY the CPU and Mem work, I disabled the Net and DIsk portions not wanting to waste CPU time on non-reporting features. Thanks for trying...
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Instead of a panel app you can display a simple conky (read about on this forum)
conky.jpg
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Storage”