ssd optimization?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sbooder
Level 1
Level 1

ssd optimization?

Post by sbooder »

Hi all,
my first question on the forum is...Which is the best way to optimize my ssd (Evo 860 500GB) in mint please?

Is it terminal commands, or app?

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers,
Simon.
LanceM

Re: ssd optimization?

Post by LanceM »

You don't need to optimize it. TRIM is already enabled for weekly run. You can verify this with the command:

Code: Select all

systemctl status fstrim.timer
sbooder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbooder »

LanceM wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 am You don't need to optimize it. TRIM is already enabled for weekly run. You can verify this with the command:

Code: Select all

systemctl status fstrim.timer
Nice! Thanks very much.
Cheers,
Simon.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

@sbooder Your best bet is to follow Pjotr: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/ssd.html
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

I disagree with the set TRIM to daily because leaving a week forces the SSD firmware to use clean different cells instead of the same one over and over. That way different areas of the SSD get used. Modern SSDs are incredibly durable and near impossible to wear out. A pretty good reference here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_ ... iodic_TRIM
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

The endurance on your 860 Evo 500GB is 300 TBW. This equates to about 168GB per day for 5 years.
Math 300 TB = 307200 GB and 5 years is 1825 days, so 307200/1825 = 168GB/Day. A busy day of streaming movies, updating the system and general activities will likely be less than 10GB/day. Your SSD would be good for about 84 years! Of course people doing a lot of big file transfers continually would shorten that time frame accordingly.

Return to “Storage”