How should I re-partition disk after installation with encryption?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mxbdk
Level 1
Level 1

How should I re-partition disk after installation with encryption?

Post by mxbdk »

Hello. My problem is that I've installed Mint earlier, but I need to increase swap size right now. How should I do this, if I've chosen encryption of whole disk?
P. S. Linux Mint 20.2 with Cinnamon, RAM 3.8 GiB, HDD 160 GB. Currently Swap is 976 MiB.
Screenshot from 2021-07-12 19-09-12.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-12 19-08-58.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-12 19-08-18.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How should I re-partition disk after installation with encryption?

Post by AndyMH »

Basically, if you are new to linux, avoid encryption. It adds a layer of complexity that when things go wrong can be impossible to recover. There are better encryption solutions such as veracrypt.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
mxbdk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mxbdk »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 amavoid encryption
Yes, I agree. But still a question, how can I do this because by Swap is full for 100%. I've read about "thumb" rule that says I should have at least 1.5 * RAM size as Swap memory. The main problem I have is that I do not want to re-install OS at all, because I have some heavy things downloaded and configured :( I do not really understand this partition tool because, you're right, I'm newbie in Linux and I'm tired of running from my laptop on windows to Linux PC to test few things. :?
AndyMH wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 amwhen things go wrong can be impossible to recover
Sorry if I misunderstood, but you wanted to say that it isn't possible to make changes in this case?
ikariGendou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ikariGendou »

I agree that encryption will make it harder on a beginner user. But it already happened, so that does not solve it for you.

I found an article for Ubuntu. I assume it may work for Mint: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Resiz ... Partitions
Seems a bit old though: Last edited 2015-06-17 02:10:08

Keep in mind you may erase or lose data by mistake. Consider doing a backup of your most important data before altering the partitions. Your last resort would be to start from scratch. New partitions. New Linux Mint. Google and research a bit more before giving up!

I am new to the forum, not so new to Linux. Send me a polite direct message if I break any rules.
I/G

Return to “Storage”