Deleted and Converted My Backup Drive By Mistake...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Deleted and Converted My Backup Drive By Mistake...

Post by pixEd »

When preparing for a dual boot on a new drive I wiped my main USB backup drive when in diskpart on Windows using diskpart. I cleaned and converted it to GPT as a result it has a EFI partition and one Microsoft reserved partition and apparently 1000GB (it's a 1TB drive) worth of unallocated space. I tried using Testdisk in WIndows 10 but all it found was the two partitions I just mentioned. Before it was just a standard NFTS format drive with 2.4MB at the end of the partition. It always had the flags boot and esp in Gparted. Is there anyway to get my data back? I havn't used it since, from what I've read I should be able to get the previous partition table and restore everythinbg but I'm hesitent to do anything incase I screw it up even more. Any advice would be great!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Deleted and Converted My Backup Drive By Mistake...

Post by Pierre »

you can use that TestDisk on an Linux Live Media,
but, you should use the Advanced / Deep Search option .. which will take ages to achieve anuthing:-
like overnight, for example, to "find" any missing partitions / files.

you can also try using:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Ba ... Home.shtml
OR
https://www.lazesoft.com/recover-data-f ... ition.html
and
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manage ... overy.html
which will all need an Windows System to utilise.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
pixEd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pixEd »

Should I create partiions similar to how it was previously or just tell Tesk Disk to look for a NFTS partiton?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You should not do anything that writes to that disk. Every write action has the potential to destroy some of your data. So, no creating partitions.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

pixEd wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:26 pm Should I create partiions similar to how it was previously or just tell Tesk Disk to look for a NFTS partiton?
It doesn't look for partitions, it tries to recover files, and from memory, it doesn't recover the filenames.

photorec is another utility that does similar things.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

While this will not help you now, in the future, you may want to consider having duplicate backups. That way, if your backup drive goes pear shaped, you will still have another one.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Storage”