Delete a file without logging in into desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trdprsn
Level 1
Level 1

Delete a file without logging in into desktop

Post by trdprsn »

So i downloaded an mp3 file which crashes my desktop and sends me back to the login screen similar to this: viewtopic.php?t=356580&p=2063693
however, the problem here is that the file is on the desktop, so i cannot enter it, is there a way for me to delete that file from my desktop and not have to reinstall? or is there ay solution to this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Delete a file without logging in into desktop

Post by motoryzen »

trdprsn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 pm So i downloaded an mp3 file which crashes my desktop and sends me back to the login screen similar to this: viewtopic.php?t=356580&p=2063693
however, the problem here is that the file is on the desktop, so i cannot enter it, is there a way for me to delete that file from my desktop and not have to reinstall? or is there ay solution to this problem?
Try booting from a that distro's installation thumb drive with that distro's-installed storage drive still connected...access that linux-installed storage drive from the Live environment and see if you can nuke that file that way.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

Easier, but a little more advanced: on the login screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in on the TTY.

Code: Select all

cd Desktop ## make folder Desktop the current folder
ls               ## list files to see name of offending file
rm "<name of file>"
Type "exit" to log back out, hit Alt+F1 to return to the login screen (if it is not there, then try Alt+F7).
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

trdprsn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:14 pm So i downloaded an mp3 file which crashes my desktop and sends me back to the login screen similar to this: viewtopic.php?t=356580&p=2063693
How does this file crash the desktop - Is it a sound effect that you have added?
Is there anything linked to this mp3?
It sounds like it is a little more than a file that has been dragged to the desktop? Yes - it is a question with the intonation going higher towards the end of the sentence.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Post by deck_luck »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:20 am ...
Yes - it is a question with the intonation going higher towards the end of the sentence.
:lol: @gittiest personITW
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
trdprsn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trdprsn »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:20 am
How does this file crash the desktop - Is it a sound effect that you have added?
Is there anything linked to this mp3?
It sounds like it is a little more than a file that has been dragged to the desktop? Yes - it is a question with the intonation going higher towards the end of the sentence.
I wish i could say otherwise but no, it is just a plain mp3file that i was going to use as a sound effect for a game AND even worse it is just a less than one second long bonk sound effect
trdprsn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trdprsn »

vanadium wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 am Easier, but a little more advanced: on the login screen, hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 and log in on the TTY.

cd Desktop ## make folder Desktop the current folder
ls               ## list files to see name of offending file
rm "<name of file>"
Type "exit" to log back out, hit Alt+F1 to return to the login screen (if it is not there, then try Alt+F7).
I did what you said and The file is gone, BUT even before deleting the file the login screen has been in a loop where i see it for a spit second, it goes away and then up again and deleting the file had no effect, the only other thing i have done is using a bootable flash drive to enter desktop last night and see if i could delete it from there, (It wouldn't let me access it) now the file ain't there, but i cannot login using GUI
trdprsn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trdprsn »

motoryzen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:23 pm
Try booting from a that distro's installation thumb drive with that distro's-installed storage drive still connected...access that linux-installed storage drive from the Live environment and see if you can nuke that file that way.
It would not let me access the ssd where the file is stored
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

trdprsn. How so? What error message did it give?

How did you try to access it?? gui from within Nemo file manager OR..did you try to navigate via terminal commands?
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

trdprsn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 pm I did what you said and The file is gone, BUT even before deleting the file the login screen has been in a loop where i see it for a spit second, it goes away and then up again and deleting the file had no effect, the only other thing i have done is using a bootable flash drive to enter desktop last night and see if i could delete it from there, (It wouldn't let me access it) now the file ain't there, but i cannot login using GUI
Then there surely is more going on that just that file. You may have run GUI apps as root. A usual suspect may be the wrecked permissions of .Xauthority. Make sure it is owned by you and has permissions 600. It is possibly owned by root at this moment.
trdprsn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trdprsn »

vanadium wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 am
trdprsn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:13 pm I did what you said and The file is gone, BUT even before deleting the file the login screen has been in a loop where i see it for a spit second, it goes away and then up again and deleting the file had no effect, the only other thing i have done is using a bootable flash drive to enter desktop last night and see if i could delete it from there, (It wouldn't let me access it) now the file ain't there, but i cannot login using GUI
Then there surely is more going on that just that file. You may have run GUI apps as root. A usual suspect may be the wrecked permissions of .Xauthority. Make sure it is owned by you and has permissions 600. It is possibly owned by root at this moment.
How do i check that? also an update on that one i log in with the terminal and removing the file if after i enter ctrl+alt+f3 and then go back to the login screen with ctrl+alt+f7 i can log in and go into my desktop no problem, the problem still is that an mp3 file keeps crashing my system it crashed when i tried to browse the files in the download folder in desktop but i deleted it no problem using terminal, i got my desktop and install back basically but i still wonder what exactly is going on and if i will ever be able to edit mp3 files i this install, I don't remember if i mentioned it but last thing i did was install audacity which i already uninstalled with terminal.
i looked around on the login loop problem by itself and it said to delete a Xauthority file and so i did but it changed nothing
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Can you run the following in Terminal.
Copy/paste into your reply. Highlight each output and press the </> icon above the reply box.

dmesg | grep -i "error\|warn\|fail"

inxi -Fxz
Have you tried a Timeshift restore? I know that, unless the defaults have been changed, it shouldn't have backed up /home, but you might have a more fundamental problem.
Probably create a snapshot first, then restore an earlier one. If no difference, might as well come back to the one you just created.

Return to “Storage”