Replace 1 existing hdd with 2 new hdd using RAID1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Replace 1 existing hdd with 2 new hdd using RAID1

Post by Moonraker »

I have an existing Mint install (20.2/5.07) that has a 1TB SSD for boot/run and a 1TB drive for file storage (music, docs, etc).

I recently got 2 new identical 1TB SSDs, and I'd like to replace the single boot/run SSD with the 2 new ones configured as RAID1 (simple disk mirroring).

I've looked at Raider but it seems mostly for creating a new RAID array by adding a drive, not splitting an existing drive into a mirrored pair. After a little thought, here's what I came up with...would this work?

1) Take one of the new drives and add it to the system.

2) Use Raider to convert both drives into an array. Now I have a RAID1 array using the original drive and one of the new drives.

3) Unmount the original drive or remove it from the array and replace it with the 2nd new drive.

4) Run Raider again.

If I understand all this right, this should give me a RAID1 array of the original drive, but using the 2 new drives, right?

Bonus Question: Raider uses mdadm, which isn't installed on my box. Should I install mdadm before or after adding the first new drive? (step 1 above)

Also, maybe remove the extra storage drive first for the sake of simplicity, so the system starts out with just two drives? Then add the extra storage drive back in after the RAID is up and running?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The future isn't what it used to be.
Moonraker
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Replace 1 existing hdd with 2 new hdd using RAID1

Post by Moonraker »

Well, using Raider seems to be a no go; after installing one of the new drives and running raider, I get this:

Code: Select all

sudo raider -R1 sda sdc
-----------------------------------------------------------
 :: raider version 0.13.2 started
 :: Option: Single disk to RAID 1 (MIRRORING)
 :: Distro name and version: Linux Mint 20.2
 :: Distro edition: Linux Mint 20.2 (uma)
 :: Test Status (in lab): Not tested
 :: Advice: Use raider at your own risk (and send back your result)!
 :: Disks selected (2):
 :: /dev/sda: Western Digital Model: WDS100T2G0A-00JH30 Serial: 2042B9802209 (1T)
 :: /dev/sdc: SHGS31-1000GS-2 Model: SHGS31-1000GS-2 Serial: FS0BN93231010BU09 (1T)
 :: /dev/sda partition table type: GPT/GUID
 :: Found a UEFI-GRUB system!
 :: FATAL ERROR: Raider does not support UEFI systems yet!
 :: ** This will be supported in raider version 0.20 **
 :: Consider to boot in BIOS mode. This way raider is able to run
Not sure about booting into "BIOS mode"...not sure how to do that or what the process is. I mean, I know how to get to the BIOS screen, but then what? Are they saying I should disable UEFI, or...?

Honestly, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be best just to remove my current boot disk and install the two new drives, then install a new Mint instance as I normally would.

Is there any option for installing Mint as a RAID setup or is that something I'd have to do after I installed Mint?
The future isn't what it used to be.

Return to “Storage”