Linux UDF DVD Automount - Help.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
louarnold
Level 2
Level 2

Linux UDF DVD Automount - Help.

Post by louarnold »

Follow-up to Linux Mint Forum > Hardware Support > [SOLVED - mostly] How to auto-mount a UDF DVD - fstab & permissions help pls.
This is done on an IBM/PC with Mint 20.2
See the end for my request. Thks.

I continued with this follow-up because things have begun to get clear. The problem is still unable to mount the DVD even after discovering thst mount parameters can be changed. The error message still seems to indicate that there is a permission problem.

Here is the error message:
"Unable to mount cdrom. mount:/media/cdrom no such file or directory"

Checking under File System > /media, the directory *does not* exist. The mounting parameters must then be changed.

Select> Mint main mainu >System Settings Control Centre > Disks. This brings up the Disks window. At the left, select the CD/DVD drive. The right hand pane shows the features of the drive, DVD, and mounting.
Model: ASUS...
Media: DVD-R Disc
Size: 207 MB
Serial: E6D....
--
Device: /dev/sr0 (read-Only)
Contents: Unknown

Now in the right hand pane, select the g"Unable to mount cdrom. mount:/media/cdrom no such file or directory"ear button, bottom left of white pane. This opens the list showing mounting options. Select "Edit Mount Options". The Mount Options dialig box opens to display some mounting details.
-----------
Mount Options dialog box:
User Session Defaults: Off/dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0 UDF,iso9660 nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0

Mount options:
- Mount at system startup: deselected.
- Show in user interface: selected.
- Require additional authorization to mount: deselected
- Display Name: blank
- Icon nName: blank
- Symbolic Icon Name: blank
- next field: "nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show"

Mount point: /media/cdrom
Identify As: /dev/dvd (system selected from drop down list)
...Matches the given device
Filesystem Type: UDF,iso9660
Buttons: Cancel and OK
----------
The above are the selections and entries that I made, except that Mint selected the Identify AS entry. Dropdown options for this entry are:
/dev/sr0
/dev/cdrom
/dev/cdrw
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ASUS_DRW-24F1st_b_E6...
/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:12.0-ata-4
/dev/dvd
/dev/dvdrw
Notes:
1) The Mount Point entry changes as these options are selected.
2) There is no Idedntify As option that allows amount point of /media/xxx
3) Selecting /dev/sro as Identify As, selects /dev/sr0 as mount point

After clicking OK, I was asked to Authenticate the changes. I then inserted the DVD into the drive and then closed the door.
The Disks/CD/DVD pane updated to its last values, above. The Mount Options dislog box also did not change.
- Require additional authorization to mount: deselected
- Display Name: blank
- Icon nName: blank
- Symbolic Icon Name: blank
- next field: "nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show"

The LHS of the File Explorer now showed a name "sr0". Clicking on that name caused a similar error message: "Unable to mount sr0. mount:/mnt/sr0 no such file or directory"
Creating a folder under /mnt/sr0 provides a folder of root:root drwxr-xr-x
and retrying causes the message: "Unable to mount sr0. mount:/mnt/sr0: operation permitted for root only"
Note that the fstab file as the added line:
"/dev/sr0 /mnt/sr0 UDF,iso9660 nosuid,nodev,nofail,noauto,x-gvfs-show 0 0"

This looks like a permissions problem to me: creating that sr0 folder under root did not alter the error message. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Storage”