Remote access to Synology NAS

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Legion99
Level 1
Level 1

Remote access to Synology NAS

Post by Legion99 »

I have a Synology NAS DS918+. I can access it locally fine. I FSTAB auto mount the required shares when my machine boots and I have normal access through NEMO.

If I am away, Synology have a remote access ability through QuickConnect. Set up an account with Synology and use http: //QuickConnect.to/AccountName to log into the account on the NAS. This can be done through any browser and / or an app for mobiles. Synology have other apps for local access, but they are not relevant for this.

What I would like to do is have a desktop shortcut to access the NAS through NEMO. So, it would need to be aimed at http: //QuickConnect.to/AccountName but allow the login protocol to either pop up or be integral to the shortcut. The goal being, when I am remote with interwebs access I can click on the short cut and connect and load the relevant share in the Nemo window.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Remote access to Synology NAS

Post by AndyMH »

DS216 user here, so a lot more downmarket from you. Good idea! Suspect you are more likely to get an answer if you ask Synology tech support. I've found them reasonably good in the past. If you do can you post back. I think it is a lot more complicated than it sounds. As well as fstab, I have a launcher on the desktop with nemo smb://diskstation.local, you could have a play around with nemo smb://QuickConnect.to/AccountName and see what happens.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Legion99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Remote access to Synology NAS

Post by Legion99 »

Locally I have the two NAS shares automounted at boot on the nav menu in Nemo. I also have a shortcut on the desktop for both, so a click and it opens the 'folder'. Remotely you're probably correct. I have used Synology help before and cannot recommend them highly enough, but this is more of a 'what if?' rather than an actual problem with the NAS. I might wander over to the Synology forums and see if anyone there has thought of this. I'll report back if they have.

Return to “Storage”