Internal drives showing up as removable drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Internal drives showing up as removable drives

Post by TinMan1325 »

These are my drives:
1. Samsung NVME 1TB for Linux Mint, my main drive. (Everything is fine with this one)
2. Samsung SSD 500 GB, I have Linux Mint on it right now but I'll be putting Windows on it
3. Western Digital 16 TB HDD, used for backup
4. Western Digital 10 TB HDD, used for backup

My main issues are with # 3 and 4 HDDs. On Windows my backup drives would always start up when I turned my computer on and after a certain amount of time, they would wind down if not being used. And they never showed as removable drives like a thumb drive would

But on Linux I have to click on them in order for them to be read by my computer (and the little triangle icon thing pops up beside them). For example, if I start Deluge right away, I will get an error on my torrents. I first have to select the HDDs, then I can open Deluge. And I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think they wind down ever

Is there a way to have them start up automatically, wind down after a certain amount of time when not in use, and not have them show up as removable drives?

Thanks

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-110-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2603 date: 02/09/2022 

Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 25.02 TiB used: 23.01 TiB (92.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
  speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: 2B2QEXE7 scheme: GPT 
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: BB6Q scheme: GPT 
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD161KRYZ-01AGBB0 
  size: 14.55 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> 
  rev: 1H01 scheme: GPT 
  ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD101FZBX-00ATAA0 
  size: 9.10 TiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> 
  rev: 1A01 scheme: GPT 
  ID-5: /dev/sdd type: USB model: USB DISK 2.0 size: 3.73 GiB 
  serial: <filter> rev: PMAP scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 95.81 GiB (10.5%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2 
https://i.imgur.com/WN6R9am.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Internal drives showing up as removable drives

Post by AndyMH »

TinMan1325 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:25 pm Is there a way to have them start up automatically, wind down after a certain amount of time when not in use, and not have them show up as removable drives?
Mount them via fstab and in a location of your choosing, e.g. /mnt or wherever you want. They show up as removable because mint will be automounting them in /media.

What format are the partitions on those drives, the mounting options are different between linux, e.g. ext4, or win, e.g. ntfs?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm Mount them via fstab and in a location of your choosing, e.g. /mnt or wherever you want. They show up as removable because mint will be automounting them in /media.

What format are the partitions on those drives, the mounting options are different between linux, e.g. ext4, or win, e.g. ntfs?
I have no idea how to do that. I looked in Software Manager and there is nothing called fstab

They are in NTFS
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

I also use Deluge and in regards to torrents I basically mount my hard drives to /media/2TB_HDD (or /media/4TB_HDD etc) etc and use fstab (i.e. "/etc/fstab") to mount them by UUID so this way when I reboot computer, and it boots up it will always keep specific hard drives mounted to specific locations. hence, the location you set in Deluge will always work now and you don't have to worry about anything changing.

basically create the proper folders in the '/media/' folder first (i.e. for example... "sudo mkdir /media/2TB_HDD") before doing the following...

for example my fstab file (which I put the following at the bottom of the file basically) looks similar to...

UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/2TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/4TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/5TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
NOTE: you can find your UUID in the 'Disks' program on Mint by left clicking the hard drive and on that screen will show the UUID and you can simply use the mouse to select the UUID and right click and select copy and then paste it into the fstab file etc. or, which is probably a bit easier, "blkid" from terminal. NOTE: if you ever wipe the hard drive and say change from NTFS to EXT4 using Gparted etc, it will likely give you a new UUID for that hard drive, so make sure to take note of this!

NOTE: yours will have to be tweaked a bit to suit NTFS though as my example is using EXT4. but taking a quick look at what I used to use when I was on NTFS, I think the exact command (although you need to tweak a little to your specific setup) I used is...

UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
also, I noticed Deluge etc can have issues finishing torrents on NTFS hard drives but once I changed them over to EXT4 that issue completely disappeared. because when they were on NTFS there was almost always a small amount of data that was not truly finished after it claimed it was 100% done as then I would run a re-check on the torrent data and it would then find a small amount that was corrupt/not finished and at this point it would redownload a small amount and at this point it would then finish and work as expected. but since I changed basically all of my hard drives over to EXT4 that issue has not occurred even once and works as expected. so if your not planning on using Windows on that hard drive, I suggest you change it over to EXT4. plus, as a bonus... EXT4 gives you maximum hard drive speed unlike NTFS which runs slower on file transfers on Linux, unlike EXT4 which gives you full speed.

so basically what AndyMH said is pretty much the gist of things ;)
TinMan1325 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:31 pm I have no idea how to do that. I looked in Software Manager and there is nothing called fstab
He means... "/etc/fstab" specifically. or to make it a little easier to modify it...

sudo xed /etc/fstab
then add in the proper text at the bottom of the file and save it and you can then reboot etc.

NOTE: make a backup of that 'fstab' file first before modifying it!!! as it's insurance in case you mess up anything. like "sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-orig" (will copy the original fstab file to a file named 'fstab-orig'). this way if something gets out of whack with the modified file (which you will be directly modifying the 'fstab' file) you can simply delete it and rename the 'fstab-orig' back to 'fstab' and it will be back to it's original unmodified state.

p.s. on a side note... given your BIOS is very recent, which I assume your CPU is quite recent to(?), it might be a good idea to use a newer kernel than 5.4... Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels. select "5.13". you can use 5.14 kernel to but it's not as straight forward to setup as 5.13 is. but if you want 5.14 kernel... "sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d". if your not sure, I would probably try 5.13 first. but at the same time if there is no obvious issues for you on your current 5.4, you might be okay enough as is. just some thoughts ;) ; I don't know the details on the AMD side of things but given what one OP suggests around here on the Intel side of things that a newer kernel is recommended if your on a Intel 8th gen or newer CPU.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:17 am I also use Deluge and in regards to torrents I basically mount my hard drives to /media/2TB_HDD (or /media/4TB_HDD etc) etc and use fstab (i.e. "/etc/fstab") to mount them by UUID so this way when I reboot computer, and it boots up it will always keep specific hard drives mounted to specific locations. hence, the location you set in Deluge will always work now and you don't have to worry about anything changing.

basically create the proper folders in the '/media/' folder first (i.e. for example... "sudo mkdir /media/2TB_HDD") before doing the following...

for example my fstab file (which I put the following at the bottom of the file basically) looks similar to...

UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/2TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/4TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/5TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0
NOTE: you can find your UUID in the 'Disks' program on Mint by left clicking the hard drive and on that screen will show the UUID and you can simply use the mouse to select the UUID and right click and select copy and then paste it into the fstab file etc. or, which is probably a bit easier, "blkid" from terminal. NOTE: if you ever wipe the hard drive and say change from NTFS to EXT4 using Gparted etc, it will likely give you a new UUID for that hard drive, so make sure to take note of this!

NOTE: yours will have to be tweaked a bit to suit NTFS though as my example is using EXT4. but taking a quick look at what I used to use when I was on NTFS, I think the exact command (although you need to tweak a little to your specific setup) I used is...

UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
also, I noticed Deluge etc can have issues finishing torrents on NTFS hard drives but once I changed them over to EXT4 that issue completely disappeared. because when they were on NTFS there was almost always a small amount of data that was not truly finished after it claimed it was 100% done as then I would run a re-check on the torrent data and it would then find a small amount that was corrupt/not finished and at this point it would redownload a small amount and at this point it would then finish and work as expected. but since I changed basically all of my hard drives over to EXT4 that issue has not occurred even once and works as expected. so if your not planning on using Windows on that hard drive, I suggest you change it over to EXT4. plus, as a bonus... EXT4 gives you maximum hard drive speed unlike NTFS which runs slower on file transfers on Linux, unlike EXT4 which gives you full speed.

so basically what AndyMH said is pretty much the gist of things ;)
TinMan1325 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:31 pm I have no idea how to do that. I looked in Software Manager and there is nothing called fstab
He means... "/etc/fstab" specifically. or to make it a little easier to modify it...

sudo xed /etc/fstab
then add in the proper text at the bottom of the file and save it and you can then reboot etc.

NOTE: make a backup of that 'fstab' file first before modifying it!!! as it's insurance in case you mess up anything. like "sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab-orig" (will copy the original fstab file to a file named 'fstab-orig'). this way if something gets out of whack with the modified file (which you will be directly modifying the 'fstab' file) you can simply delete it and rename the 'fstab-orig' back to 'fstab' and it will be back to it's original unmodified state.

p.s. on a side note... given your BIOS is very recent, which I assume your CPU is quite recent to(?), it might be a good idea to use a newer kernel than 5.4... Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels. select "5.13". you can use 5.14 kernel to but it's not as straight forward to setup as 5.13 is. but if you want 5.14 kernel... "sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d". if your not sure, I would probably try 5.13 first. but at the same time if there is no obvious issues for you on your current 5.4, you might be okay enough as is. just some thoughts ;) ; I don't know the details on the AMD side of things but given what one OP suggests around here on the Intel side of things that a newer kernel is recommended if your on a Intel 8th gen or newer CPU.
Well I tried to follow your instructions and I don't know what the heck happened after that lol. I rebooted and all of a sudden I got a black screen and it said something like tty1 at the top of the screen, it was weird. And I'm not entirely sure how I got out of it either. I am so lost :cry:

Thanks, I've updated to 5.13.0-41. Does that update change what's available in the Software Manager? I'm looking for 3 different things, none of which I can find and I know they used to be because I downloaded them earlier today (I just did a fresh install and that's why I was looking for them again)
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 am Well I tried to follow your instructions and I don't know what the heck happened after that lol. I rebooted and all of a sudden I got a black screen and it said something like tty1 at the top of the screen, it was weird. And I'm not entirely sure how I got out of it either. I am so lost :cry:
Yeah, that can happen if something is out of whack and stop it from booting to the desktop like it's supposed to. but you can reverse it by simply replacing the modified 'fstab' file with the 'fstab-orig' file like I mentioned (i.e. delete the 'fstab' file. rename the 'fstab-orig' to 'fstab', then reboot and you can resume normal function).

but since you did a fresh install you basically need to tweak that 'fstab' file properly with the correct UUID. but lets just say you got your hard drive/SSD Linux Mint is on and one additional hard drive you want to setup on Deluge, for example (I personally have three setup like this (like 2TB_HDD/4TB_HDD/5TB_HDD etc), and that will work to)...

1)sudo mkdir /media/2TB_HDD
2)blkid (then find the UUID for the hard drive you want to mount on that "2TB_HDD" from above)
3)sudo xed /etc/fstab
4)Assuming your still using NTFS, enter the following at the bottom of the fstab file (except replace "*enter your UUID here*" with whatever yours is to the particular hard drive you want to use) and don't delete anything that's originally in the fstab file...

UUID=*enter your UUID here* /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
5)save the fstab file, then reboot (there is a way to mount it without rebooting, which is... "sudo mount -a")
6)once that's working, you can then tweak your Deluge configuration accordingly and it should remain working ;)

p.s. if your going to use EXT4 instead then you need to swap out the ntfs-3g etc stuff with the proper EXT4 lines I mentioned before basically (i.e. UUID=*alot of numbers/letters here* /media/2TB_HDD ext4 defaults,nofail,noatime 0 0 )
TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:26 amThanks, I've updated to 5.13.0-41. Does that update change what's available in the Software Manager? I'm looking for 3 different things, none of which I can find and I know they used to be because I downloaded them earlier today (I just did a fresh install and that's why I was looking for them again)
The 'Software Manager' will still function like usual with finding updates. you will just get 5.13 series kernel updates now instead of the default 5.4 series. but once you confirm 5.13 works okay for you, I would remove the 5.4 series kernel which you can do from the 'Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels' section on '5.4 > Remove Kernels...'.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 am

UUID=*enter your UUID here* /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
Yeah this is what I did before and what made my computer go haywire, except I used /mnt instead of /media because another person said it being in /media is what's making it show up as a removable drive. It's an internal HDD
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:57 pm
ThaCrip wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 am

Yeah this is what I did before and what made my computer go haywire, except I used /mnt instead of /media because another person said it being in /media is what's making it show up as a removable drive. It's an internal HDD
Just to check the obvious... did you swap out the "*enter your UUID here*" with your real UUID of the hard drive you want to use and make the proper folder entry before doing that, right? (and put it at the bottom without deleting anything else in the original fstab file)

so it will probably look something like (assuming your still using NTFS and you got to use your own UUID which you find from "blkid" from terminal)...

UUID=d92v4f84-571b-4b3e-a2a6-d2b1bd83nf4e /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
once you save the fstab file you can try 'sudo mount -a' which should mount things however you set it in the fstab. but I do see others online suggesting other stuff to but I can't really comment too much on that since what I posted above I personally used a while ago when I was using NTFS, but I have since changed all of my internal HDD's to EXT4 since, so I used a different command at that point.

but if your going to use "/mnt" you will have to set that up first before editing the fstab file. like 'sudo mkdir /mnt/2TB_HDD' etc since this will make a folder in there so the fstab can mount the hard drive to that specific location which will then work fine with Deluge etc.

but like I say, unless your going to use that hard drive on Windows, it would be best to wipe the drive and use EXT4 (which is easy enough to do with GParted) as that's what I am currently using without any issues at all.

p.s. I have personally used 'media' for a rather long time now without issue with Deluge and I also have three internal HDD's, which is what Deluge is using. but what I said here should get the gist of things across. but in regards to /mnt vs /media... while mine are automatically mounted at boot in the 'media' location, I can still manually 'unmount' them through the file manager (I am on Mint v20.3-Xfce) from right clicking it and select 'unmount'. but it's not a problem for me since that probably won't occur. but it's your call as I never tried another location so far besides the 'media' location so I cant comment too much outside of this location. but looking online it appears people have used "/mnt/FolderNameHere". so you should be okay. but if you do create that folder first before editing the fstab.
Last edited by ThaCrip on Mon May 23, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:15 pm Just to check the obvious... did you swap out the "*enter your UUID here*" with your real UUID of the hard drive you want to use and make the proper folder entry before doing that, right? (and put it at the bottom without deleting anything else in the original fstab file)

so it will probably look something like (assuming your still using NTFS and you got to use your own UUID which you find from "blkid" from terminal)...

UUID=d92v4f84-571b-4b3e-a2a6-d2b1bd83nf4e /media/2TB_HDD ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
I just tried it again and got the same issue
This is what I put

UUID=33A8EC710255C197 /mnt/16\ TB\ Volume ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
I still use Windows 7 from time to time so that's why I want to keep it in NTFS

I don't want them in /media because another person told me the reason they're being shown as removable drives is because they're in /media. He said to put them in /mnt to solve that issue
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:35 pm I just tried it again and got the same issue
This is what I put

UUID=33A8EC710255C197 /mnt/16\ TB\ Volume ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
I still use Windows 7 from time to time so that's why I want to keep it in NTFS

I don't want them in /media because another person told me the reason they're being shown as removable drives is because they're in /media. He said to put them in /mnt to solve that issue
I see/understand. ill also probably switch my 'media' to 'mnt' in the future since it seems that's a bit more proper in how you set it up. but anyways, since you showed me what you did, try this instead...

sudo mkdir /mnt/16TB
which will create a folder in 'mnt' named '16TB' and then to mount a single hard drive to that location you would set the following in the '/etc/fstab' file...

UUID=33A8EC710255C197 /mnt/16TB ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
to test that after saving that info to the fstab issue... "sudo mount -a" (without the ") and see what happens.

NOTE: you have to have a separate line for EACH hard drive you want to use! ; because in my example here that's ONE hard drive.

on a side note... if you have a space in your folder naming I think in order to fix that so it works you would have to do something like...

UUID=33A8EC710255C197 "/mnt/16 TB" ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
but it's just easier to make sure there is no spaces on the naming of your folders ;)

either way, check the "/mnt" location to see the precise name of your folder you created before doing the fstab modifications.

p.s. there is a way currently to create a updated Windows 7 ISO so it's up to date as of April 2022 (it's too large to fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD though) and one can supposedly get 'windows updates' to, but I won't get into this for now. but I did try the basic ISO a while ago with success, except when I did it, at the time May 2021 was the newest it was on and the ISO of that came out to 5,353,363,456 bytes, so a bit shy of 5.4GB as the original unmodified ISO I started with was 3,320,903,680 bytes, so a little over 3.3GB. I generally don't use Win7 but on the rare occasion I need it, that's nice to have since it's alot more updated than the basic Win7 SP1 64bit Pro ISO one normally uses.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:53 pm I see/understand. ill also probably switch my 'media' to 'mnt' in the future since it seems that's a bit more proper in how you set it up. but anyways, since you showed me what you did, try this instead...

sudo mkdir /mnt/16TB
which will create a folder in 'mnt' named '16TB' and then to mount a single hard drive to that location you would set the following in the '/etc/fstab' file...

UUID=33A8EC710255C197 /mnt/16TB ntfs-3g defaults,nofail,noatime,windows_names,uid=1000,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0
to test that after saving that info to the fstab issue... "sudo mount -a" (without the ") and see what happens.
My drive is called "16 TB Volume" though, so shouldn't the folder I create in /mnt also be called that?
I've attached an image to show what the name looks like, on the left hand side of the window it shows "16 TB Volume"
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-23 21-24-17.png
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 pm My drive is called "16 TB Volume" though, so shouldn't the folder I create in /mnt also be called that?
I've attached an image to show what the name looks like, on the left hand side of the window it shows "16 TB Volume"
No, that does not matter. because the "UUID" basically tells Mint what physical hard drive specifically to mount to the "/mnt/16TB" location (assuming you did what I said in my previous post). so when you go to access that "/mnt/16TB" location it will always direct you to that specific 16TB hard drive or when you access the "16TB" in your file manager it will take you to that hard drive.

so as long as your using the correct UUID for that 16TB hard drive it should work.

basically whatever you name that folder (i.e. /mnt/16TB ; specifically the "16TB" part) is what it will show up as in your file manager. so that WD 16TB hard drive you have will probably be accessible as '16TB' in the file manager once you set it up like I was saying. if you want it to show up as a different name, just tweak that folder name it creates accordingly. like on my setup I have it automount three hard drives through fstab and I created folders named 2TB_Hitachi/4TB_Seagate/5TB_HGST etc. so I had to make three separate lines in the fstab with each unique UUID to their respective folders, like...

UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/2TB_Hitachi etc etc
UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/4TB_Seagate etc etc
UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/5TB_HGST etc etc

then when I open file manager you can see "2TB_Hitachi" etc there and I simply click those to access the hard drive. so if you plan on getting more hard drives in the future it's probably a good idea to name it a bit more detailed so it will be easier for you to keep track of things down the road. but it's your call on how you want to name things.

currently I am only using torrents on one hard drive but I can easily put it on another without issue through Deluge if I need to without having to tweak anything further since whatever hard drive I save to will always be accessible at the same location given I mounted all of my additional internal hard drives with the fstab file.

but if you hover the mouse pointer over that "16 TB Volume" under 'Devices' (assuming you have not applied the /mnt/16TB stuff yet) it will probably show something like "/media/16 TB Volume" and even have "/dev/sdb1" (or the like) there. because if one tries to mount by say "/dev/sdb1" (or the like) that might work initially but eventually could fail because it seems that changes randomly upon boot up (like what might be "/dev/sdb1" now could potentially change to "/dev/sdc1" etc after powers on/off/reboots of your computer) where as a UUID will never change (unless you wipe the hard drive etc at which point it will change), which is why it's safe to use for Deluge etc as when you set your torrent location to say "/mnt/16TB/TorrentShareHere" it will always use that same 16TB hard drive in the folder named 'TorrentShareHere' with the general torrent data inside of that.

so basically, given your screen shot, I see the "Devices > 16 TB Volume" to access your hard drive in the file manager currently, but if you do what I said in my previous post, it will likely show "Devices > 16TB" instead.

p.s. like I mentioned in my previous post, while it's possible it might not effect you, I had issues with torrents often claiming to be 100% complete only to not truly be complete after forcing a re-check of the downloaded torrent data there would be a small amount that would need to be re-downloaded at which point once that completed, the torrent would truly be 100% without any issues (if I recall correctly I think it was mainly in regard to rar files as a single file might not have had this issue). but once I switched over to EXT4 (instead of NTFS) that issue completely disappeared. note: I know you can't change to EXT4 given you said you need Windows 7 to access it, so you got to stay on NTFS for now. but just something to keep a eye on ;)
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 am
TinMan1325 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:27 pm My drive is called "16 TB Volume" though, so shouldn't the folder I create in /mnt also be called that?
No, that does not matter. because the "UUID" basically tells Mint what physical hard drive specifically to mount to the "/mnt/16TB" location (assuming you did what I said in my previous post). so when you go to access that "/mnt/16TB" location it will always direct you to that specific 16TB hard drive or when you access the "16TB" in your file manager it will take you to that hard drive.

so as long as your using the correct UUID for that 16TB hard drive it should work.

basically whatever you name that folder (i.e. /mnt/16TB ; specifically the "16TB" part) is what it will show up as in your file manager. so that WD 16TB hard drive you have will probably be accessible as '16TB' in the file manager once you set it up like I was saying. if you want it to show up as a different name, just tweak that folder name it creates accordingly. like on my setup I have it automount three hard drives through fstab and I created folders named 2TB_Hitachi/4TB_Seagate/5TB_HGST etc. so I had to make three separate lines in the fstab with each unique UUID to their respective folders, like...

UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/2TB_Hitachi etc etc
UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/4TB_Seagate etc etc
UUID=blah-blah-blah /media/5TB_HGST etc etc

then when I open file manager you can see "2TB_Hitachi" etc there and I simply click those to access the hard drive. so if you plan on getting more hard drives in the future it's probably a good idea to name it a bit more detailed so it will be easier for you to keep track of things down the road. but it's your call on how you want to name things.

currently I am only using torrents on one hard drive but I can easily put it on another without issue through Deluge if I need to without having to tweak anything further since whatever hard drive I save to will always be accessible at the same location given I mounted all of my additional internal hard drives with the fstab file.

but if you hover the mouse pointer over that "16 TB Volume" under 'Devices' (assuming you have not applied the /mnt/16TB stuff yet) it will probably show something like "/media/16 TB Volume" and even have "/dev/sdb1" (or the like) there. because if one tries to mount by say "/dev/sdb1" (or the like) that might work initially but eventually could fail because it seems that changes randomly upon boot up (like what might be "/dev/sdb1" now could potentially change to "/dev/sdc1" etc after powers on/off/reboots of your computer) where as a UUID will never change (unless you wipe the hard drive etc at which point it will change), which is why it's safe to use for Deluge etc as when you set your torrent location to say "/mnt/16TB/TorrentShareHere" it will always use that same 16TB hard drive in the folder named 'TorrentShareHere' with the general torrent data inside of that.

p.s. like I mentioned in my previous post, while it's possible it might not effect you, I had issues with torrents often claiming to be 100% complete only to not truly be complete after forcing a re-check of the downloaded torrent data there would be a small amount that would need to be re-downloaded at which point once that completed, the torrent would truly be 100% without any issues (if I recall correctly I think it was mainly in regard to rar files as a single file might not have had this issue). but once I switched over to EXT4 (instead of NTFS) that issue completely disappeared. note: I already realize you can't change to EXT4 given you said you need Windows 7 to access it, so you got to stay on NTFS for now. but just something to keep a eye on ;)
Well I got it mounted to /mnt/16TB now. Thanks for having the patience to walk me through this. My goodness this is so much easier to do on Windows

Unfortunately it's still showing up as a removable drive though. But Deluge recognises it, so that's good
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:31 am Well I got it mounted to /mnt/16TB now. Thanks for having the patience to walk me through this. My goodness this is so much easier to do on Windows
Glad you got it going as I knew I was going to have to tinker with this sort of stuff when I switched over to Linux in Jan 2019 as I knew the location of the hard drive can change in it's default state so I had to figure out a way to make sure the torrent program (Deluge etc) will always be able to find it at a specific location, which boiled down to searching online (as sometimes issues ain't that difficult to figure out while others can be). but I guess if someone is using the boot drive (the one Linux Mint loads from) to store their torrents, off the top of my head, this probably won't be a issue with torrents. but I tend to use a SSD for general usage where as pretty much all of my large files go to my regular hard drives.

hell, even when I did switch over to Linux in Jan 2019 I waited about a full year (so probably around Jan 2020 or so) before switching my NTFS hard drives to EXT4 as I just had to be sure I was going to commit more long term to Linux. because switching back to Windows now would be a big chore. but for the limited amount of Windows software I do use (ImgBurn/Foobar2000/KProbe/EAC etc), works on Mint through Wine etc and the small amount of games I replay work on Mint to through Lutris/Wine etc.

but yeah, Windows tends to be easier in general (like if someone is doing much beyond the very basics, they will probably have to learn stuff on some level on Linux). so it's like switching over to Linux will likely require a fair amount of tinkering, at least in some cases, to get things up to a certain standard, which can be a immediate turn off for many people. but it does seem ridiculous that to get torrents working properly on an additional hard drive that we have to do this as you would think there might be some sort of way to generally lock a hard drive to a specific location automatically right from the get go etc. because while basic function works well enough in the default state, torrents basically won't if your using an additional hard drive.

p.s. I tend to keep a text file with all of my Linux tweaks since remembering everything is not easy. so when I do clean installs of Mint in the future I just re-check my text file with all of my configuration stuff that I might have forgotten how to do. because while I remember some stuff a good portion of it I do not. it's the only reason I still knew the NTFS command for the fstab file as I had to check it as I kept it for potential future use 'just in case', but I don't plan on going back to Windows for the foreseeable future as even on the small chance I might use it from time-to-time I can usually load it in a virtual machine on Mint. or if I need it on my machine, ill put it on my backup desktop computer (which Windows 7 is the newest it can run as it can't run any Windows newer than Windows 7 on it as while Win10 32bit installs, it's unstable and the 64bit version (which is more typical) simply refuses to install due to lack of nx-bit. but about the only time I am really forced to use Win7 is if I got to update songs on a Zune 30GB player I got which I generally don't use since I got other devices that are better in general at this point. but I got Mint v20.3-Xfce on all three of my computers (two desktops/one laptop). Windows 10 will run on 2 out of the 3 computers I got but it only runs well on one of them, my primary computer.
TinMan1325 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:31 am Unfortunately it's still showing up as a removable drive though. But Deluge recognises it, so that's good
Thanks for the info as based on this ill likely not bother changing my "/media" location. but... I wonder what happens if you 'reboot', does it still appear as 'removable'?

p.s. please put "[SOLVED]" in the topic so it lets others know your issue is fixed, assuming your issue is fixed.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:19 am Thanks for the info as based on this ill likely not bother changing my "/media" location. but... I wonder what happens if you 'reboot', does it still appear as 'removable'?
I just found if I go into "Disks", there is an option called "Show in user interface". When that's unchecked, it no longer shows the HDD as a removable drive... but it no longer shows up on the file manager side bar either...

I'm not sure if the HDD will auto boot when I start my computer up. I'll have to check later, Deluge is checking a 819 GB torrent right now
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-05-24 03-55-20.png
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

TinMan1325 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:03 am I just found if I go into "Disks", there is an option called "Show in user interface". When that's unchecked, it no longer shows the HDD as a removable drive... but it no longer shows up on the file manager side bar either...
Bookmark it. Go to /mnt/16TB then at that top of the file manager select Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. It will show up on the side panel.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

altair4 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:04 amBookmark it. Go to /mnt/16TB then at that top of the file manager select Bookmarks > Add Bookmark. It will show up on the side panel.
Yes that works. Thank you
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

Does anyone know if Linux has an option like this?
https://i.stack.imgur.com/4Gqw7.png

Turn off hard disk after
                                    Specify how long your hard drive is inactive before the disk turns off
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

TinMan1325 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:14 pm Does anyone know if Linux has an option like this?
https://i.stack.imgur.com/4Gqw7.png

Turn off hard disk after
                                    Specify how long your hard drive is inactive before the disk turns off
I never looked into it. but when I was on windows that was one of the first things I disabled after a clean install as I am of the opinion that leaving a hard drive running all of the time when a computer is on is better than always powering it up and down fairly often (although I am sure this is still up for debate on which is better). so in this regard I like Linux's default where hard drives just stay running when the computer is powered on and I leave my primary PC on pretty much all of the time ;)

p.s. my primary PC has generally been running all of the time (the motherboard is 10 years old this month and counting which makes it the longest I ever owned a primary PC as my previous main PC (basically the motherboard etc) was 6 years and 2 months old before I upgraded. I currently have this board, which I initially retired in May 2012 and brought it back into use in Jan 2019 since I put it in a old case as I got a quality cheap PSU to revive it etc as it makes for a decent backup computer) and I had no hard drive issues so far and I have had hard drives in it in the past that were older than the computer and ran for years. even my handful of hard drives active in my primary PC (2TB/4TB/5TB) have years of power on hours by now. my older hard drives have years on them to but for a while now I just tend to use them as external storage as I slide them into a USB 3 docking station occasionally for data backup. on a side note... I have only had pretty much two hard drives fail on me (40GB IBM (referred to as the 'deathstar')/80GB Maxtor). but the oldest desktop hard drive I have of 1TB or larger would be my Samsung 1TB (off the top of my head... I am not sure how old this is but I would guesstimate around 2009 as I know it's older than 2012 for sure) and it still works but I just use that for occasional data backup in the USB 3 docking station. in fact, in terms of hard drives I owned of 1TB or larger in my life... 1TB Samsung/2TB Samsung/2TB Hitachi/4TB Seagate/5TB HGST. all still work and are standard 3.5" desktop drives. the oldest 3.5" SATA desktop hard drive I own would be a Western Digital 250GB which I bought when I built my previous main PC in March 2006 and it still works as it's currently what I am running on my backup computer which is still on the same motherboard (ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe(basically a higher end board in 2005, maybe early 2006)) it was on originally.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

ThaCrip wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:52 am I never looked into it. but when I was on windows that was one of the first things I disabled after a clean install as I am of the opinion that leaving a hard drive running all of the time when a computer is on is better than always powering it up and down fairly often (although I am sure this is still up for debate on which is better). so in this regard I like Linux's default where hard drives just stay running when the computer is powered on and I leave my primary PC on pretty much all of the time ;)
Both HDDs I have are used for back up and I rarely use them, plus sound is definitely an issue with one of them so being able to turn them off would really be nice

Return to “Storage”