my HDD is mounted with a different name [solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nabe_33
Level 1
Level 1

my HDD is mounted with a different name [solved]

Post by nabe_33 »

ok I have this little problem that I discovered just now and I didn't notice it.
basically my hard drive is mounting with a different name (adding "1" at the end), something I noticed because it broke my whole samba configuration and thunar shortcuts, I attached a picture so you can see what I mean.
Captura de pantalla_2022-06-24_19-36-02.png
the only relevant changes I've made lately is updating the kernel yesterday (which actually gave me some problems) so I assume maybe that's the problem, but I decided to post it in case someone had a solution or knew of another cause.
Now when I tried to restart the computer it kept shutting down infinitely and I had to force it to shut down, so maybe I have problems with the kernel?
Anyway if the problem is the kernel I can wait for a new update but I would like to know if that really is the problem.
I don't know much about this I'm sorry so I don't want to jump to conclusions without asking, for now I corrected the samba and thunar configuration and everything works correctly, but I don't know if it will change again at any time without me knowing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: my HDD is mounted with a different name

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can boot from all the installed kernels. In grub advanced options choose the kernel you want to boot from. You can boot from your working kernel.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
O-rion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by O-rion »

Did you have a crash when that happened?
This usually happens to me when there is a crash and a hdd is not properly unmounted.

I then unmount all extra hdds that are shown.
Then go to /media/username
enter that as an admin
and delete leftover mountpoints. (Don't delete media/USERNAME itself, only what's left over in it)
After that the hdd in question will show again like it always did.

When no extra hdd is mounted your /media/USERNAME should not have any dirs or files in it.
Linux Mint 20.1 MATE
nabe_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nabe_33 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:13 am You can boot from all the installed kernels. In grub advanced options choose the kernel you want to boot from. You can boot from your working kernel.
I see, I will keep it in mind I did not try to log in with my previous kernel.
O-rion wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:55 am Did you have a crash when that happened?
This usually happens to me when there is a crash and a hdd is not properly unmounted.

I then unmount all extra hdds that are shown.
Then go to /media/username
enter that as an admin
and delete leftover mountpoints. (Don't delete media/USERNAME itself, only what's left over in it)
After that the hdd in question will show again like it always did.

When no extra hdd is mounted your /media/USERNAME should not have any dirs or files in it.
that worked thank you
actually nothing has failed, I just realized that samba did not allow me to access a specific folder on that disk and this was the reason when I investigated it, the reason is simply that had changed the address of the folder.

Return to “Storage”