Restoring Partition Table

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Semmelknödel
Level 1
Level 1

Restoring Partition Table

Post by Semmelknödel »

Hello

I have a problem with my venerable Windows 7 maschine. Bootdisk no longer booted, the troubleshooting tools on the Windows-Installation disks diagnosed a problem with the partition table but were unable to fix it.

I fired up Linux Cinnamon Live. Under Linux I can see the disk and use it normally for data manipulation. I have copied my stuff to an external disk and want to restore my maschine as it was. However, Gparted warned me that restoring would erase all data on the disk.

I found another tool named "Disks" on the CD. It shows the disks partitions like this

Recovery Partition 1 13 GB
System Partition 3 480 GB
Free Space 1.9 MB

Disks offers a command "Restore Partition Image". Will using this command also destroy all data on the disk by restoring?
Last edited by LockBot on Fri May 05, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Semmelknödel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Restoring Partition Table

Post by Semmelknödel »

I am very sorry, I was stupid. Could solve the problem via WIndows command prompt during setup.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Restoring Partition Table

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You'd better post back sudo parted -l and/or sudo fidsk -l result.
Semmelknödel wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:49 am Disks offers a command "Restore Partition Image". Will using this command also destroy all data on the disk by restoring?
Disk offer that option on selected partition clicking on gears icon down side. That operation only afects selected partition. Also Disks has an option to restore disk image if right-click on top hamburger icon. In both cases you will need a previous image file (disk or partition) to restore.

I don't know what you mean with copied my stuff to and external disk but I doubt you have made a disk/partition image.

A good tool to restore partition table after bad manipulation or mistake with partitioning tools is testdisk (preinstalled on Linux Mint Live).

Of course the way to solve Windows booting problems is from Windows recovery environment, Windows recovery disk or Windows installation media.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Storage”