NAS and modem data usage.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JustCallBen
Level 1
Level 1

NAS and modem data usage.

Post by JustCallBen »

I have a WD "MyCloud" EX2 attached to my router. My modem attaches to the same router.

When I boot LM 20.3, there is an amazing amount of data transfer prior to and during the desktop loading. This morning I rebooted and cold booted a few times to check on this behavior.

I monitor data flow using Download and upload speed v1.6.5. It shows current up/down speeds in the tray and total up/down cumulative totals on right click.

When the modem is on, the system will download over 1GB and upload 100MB while loading the desktop. When the modem is off, there is much less data transfer (100kB or so) but now the NAS doesn't mount. Turning on the modem after desktop load allows the NAS to mount correctly. Further, that massive data transfer doesn't occur.

I have no idea why this is happening; it can't be good. I wish it to stop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Level 6
Level 6

Re: NAS and modem data usage.

Post by 1000 »

Are you saying that your system is synchronizing with the NAS and you don't know why?

If you don't know, I use such an application

Code: Select all

lsof -i :0-65535
Only Info: I can not check " ping " with lsof.

But when the system boots up, I can only check the internet transfer in another way.
internet
router
├── the first computer- is started
└── the second computer - has in web browser router settings and its transfer.
I can check also what applications are launched at system startup
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=342944&p=1973411&h ... b#p1973411
and also graphic environment settings, there are usually additional applications which use "$HOME"/.config/autostart/
JustCallBen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JustCallBen »

I believe I found the root cause of the issue but I have no idea why the behavior existed.

In researching the issue of a very long boot process (3 to 4 minutes to login screen), I discovered that tracker was indexing the NAS which is not necessary for normal operation and very much not desired.

I cleared the tracker log file, limited its size and run time and this particular issue seems to be solved. It did not, however, significantly reduce my boot time.

I don't want to stray off topic here but I may need to tear down the OS and start anew.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

It did not, however, significantly reduce my boot time.
You can check viewtopic.php?p=2256987#p2256987
and viewtopic.php?f=18&t=326506&p=1857069#p1857069
JustCallBen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JustCallBen »

Thanks but those suggestions do not appear relevant.

I am not a gamer and my system is fast but there seems to be some anomaly in the install affecting the boot process. I have a much slower machine with Mint 19 and it boots in 40 seconds.

Return to “Storage”