How do you update the sata ahci controller drivers ?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boston555
Level 1
Level 1

How do you update the sata ahci controller drivers ?

Post by Boston555 »

I'm having some issues with a new SSD (Western Digital Black SN770) mounted on the m.2 slot of my motherboard (SleepyPK) which is part of my Laptop (Acer Aspire A315-42-R39T).

From what I understand, the motherboard only supports up to gen3 nvme. The new SN770 is a gen4 nvme (but backwards compatible). So it should be performing at the max of gen3 but test results on KDiskMark show otherwise (see below).

I reached out to support on the Acer forums and was asked if I have updated my sata/ahci controller drivers. Unfortunately I don't know how to check/do that.

Can someone help me with this?
Bench1.png
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do you update the sata ahci controller drivers ?

Post by rene »

Boston555 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:46 pm I reached out to support on the Acer forums and was asked if I have updated my sata/ahci controller drivers.
By which query you know to ignore the idiot that posed it since you have an NVMe drive, not a SATA one (and AHCI is a protocol that only concerns SATA).

The speed you should expect depends on how many PCIe lanes are routed to the M.2 slot which I couldn't for your system find on a quick google search but which I believe is often just 2 for laptops. PCIe 3.0 does 1GB/s per lane which would then make for 2GB/s max -- which is something your WD SN770 should be able to do for both read and write it seems.

The RND4K number seems to nicely comply but the SEQ1M does not, and the write speeds are for that drive pathetic even. I do not in fact know KDiskMark and can as such not say whether or not it's a software/display issue. Note that certainly if you're testing your "live" root system with for example KDE's indexer running amok at the same time that this wouldn't necessarily be unexpected. Is the drive an extra or your system drive? If latter I'd boot a Mint Live/Installer USB and use "Disks" from it (IIRC that it in fact has a benchmark) to double-check.

If the numbers are real definitely something's up. While admittedly not sure if that would matter or not, in that case make sure you don't have e.g. Intel RST mode set in your BIOS -- or alike. Look through it.
Boston555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boston555 »

rene wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:43 pm By which query you know to ignore the idiot that posed it since you have an NVMe drive, not a SATA one (and AHCI is a protocol that only concerns SATA).

The speed you should expect depends on how many PCIe lanes are routed to the M.2 slot which I couldn't for your system find on a quick google search but which I believe is often just 2 for laptops. PCIe 3.0 does 1GB/s per lane which would then make for 2GB/s max -- which is something your WD SN770 should be able to do for both read and write it seems.

The RND4K number seems to nicely comply but the SEQ1M does not, and the write speeds are for that drive pathetic even. I do not in fact know KDiskMark and can as such not say whether or not it's a software/display issue. Note that certainly if you're testing your "live" root system with for example KDE's indexer running amok at the same time that this wouldn't necessarily be unexpected. Is the drive an extra or your system drive? If latter I'd boot a Mint Live/Installer USB and use "Disks" from it (IIRC that it in fact has a benchmark) to double-check.

If the numbers are real definitely something's up. While admittedly not sure if that would matter or not, in that case make sure you don't have e.g. Intel RST mode set in your BIOS -- or alike. Look through it.
Ha. I'm learning by the minute with all this.
Thank you, your reply is very enlightening.

Knowing this now, I'm not sure why they recommended I look at sata/ahci stuff. Strange.

I am testing my live root system. I'll try and run a test via a live mint usb and see what's what. '

There's nothing in BIOS that relates to any of this unfortunately.
Boston555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boston555 »

rene wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:43 pm Is the drive an extra or your system drive? If latter I'd boot a Mint Live/Installer USB and use "Disks" from it (IIRC that it in fact has a benchmark) to double-check.
Ok. Figured it out, the issue was that the tests were being run on my live root system.

I ran the same test via a bootable Mint usb installer and the results are much different and more inline to gen3 nvme standards...
Screenshot at 2022-12-17 20-35-14.png
Thank you for your help.

Now the question is, do I keep this gen4 drive or should I return it and get a gen3 ?...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Okay, that is looking seemingly good for your system then -- although it's also immediately clear that you don't have just 2 lanes routed to the M.2 slot. Supposedly 4 then and that could get you 4 GB/s read on seemingly all SN770 models: https://www.westerndigital.com/en-us/pr ... 0-nvme-ssd.

Some further googling led me to the information that the SN 770 is a DRAM-less SSD. Probably one able to use HMB (Host Memory Buffer), i.e., with the ability to snag some of your main DRAM to use -- which to me seems in essence fine -- but which I would absolutely not be confident saying your Acer laptop would support. Way to dilute your black brand, WD...

Anyways, given DRAM-less those write numbers as compared to the read ones in fact look okay to me, but I'd still be weary that the drive would fall flat on its face when you write enough data to overwhelm its (probably) SLC cache. How much that would be I could not in fact tell you: it's going to scale to your drive size. You could test things with, say, writing a 100G file to it from your Live system boot, syncing, and timing it but well, I'd probably in fact exchange the drive for a not DRAM-less one indeed, be it a PCIe 3 or 4 one, if I'd not be certain that my system could use HBM -- and try to figure something like that out from specs with Acer...

Feel free to ignore that if you're up for actually testing things directly but -- really WD? A DRAM-less Black branded drive? So I take it now Blue are real bottom of the barrel crap?
Boston555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boston555 »

rene wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:03 pm Okay, that is looking seemingly good for your system then -- although it's also immediately clear that you don't have just 2 lanes routed to the M.2 slot. Supposedly 4 then and that could get you 4 GB/s read on seemingly all SN770 models: https://www.westerndigital.com/en-us/pr ... 0-nvme-ssd.

Some further googling led me to the information that the SN 770 is a DRAM-less SSD. Probably one able to use HMB (Host Memory Buffer), i.e., with the ability to snag some of your main DRAM to use -- which to me seems in essence fine -- but which I would absolutely not be confident saying your Acer laptop would support. Way to dilute your black brand, WD...

Anyways, given DRAM-less those write numbers as compared to the read ones in fact look okay to me, but I'd still be weary that the drive would fall flat on its face when you write enough data to overwhelm its (probably) SLC cache. How much that would be I could not in fact tell you: it's going to scale to your drive size. You could test things with, say, writing a 100G file to it from your Live system boot, syncing, and timing it but well, I'd probably in fact exchange the drive for a not DRAM-less one indeed, be it a PCIe 3 or 4 one, if I'd not be certain that my system could use HBM -- and try to figure something like that out from specs with Acer...

Feel free to ignore that if you're up for actually testing things directly but -- really WD? A DRAM-less Black branded drive? So I take it now Blue are real bottom of the barrel crap?
Haha, thanks again for the great reply.

To be quite honest with you, I've been out of the pc tech market for a very long time and just recently started getting back into it (case in point, check my profile. Last post/sign in I made was back in 2011...). So, I don't really have a preference for brands, I was just going on pricing and reviews off of amazon....

So, I did do some further testing with the original gen3 ssd that this laptop came with (an SK Hynix HFM256DJTNG-8310A) and the results were a bit shocking to me;
benchscreenshot at 2022-12-17 21-11-00.png
They seem better than the gen4

(Looks like I'll be returning the SN770)

(What I'm trying to do here is "max out" my laptop instead of buying a new one for 500$+ ... and at this point I'm not sure the "effort" is worth it. Minimal returns and all. Though I do have some sodimm memory I have yet to install (bumping it up to 32gb) but at this point I think I should just return that too and honestly get a new laptop)
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, yes, that looks to be better and for some tests significantly so. If you don't need additional space I'd probably stay with the old drive.

You have 8G now? While mostly okay-ish still for "desktop use" a doubling or even then quadrupling there would certainly matter. It seems to otherwise be a 2020 system with a Ryzen 5 3500U -- and I can assure you that that would be a lot more than I'd at the moment ever need from a mobile system. I.e., I'd say that upping the RAM and being happy makes sense.
Boston555
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boston555 »

rene wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:30 pm Well, yes, that looks to be better and for some tests significantly so. If you don't need additional space I'd probably stay with the old drive.

You have 8G now? While mostly okay-ish still for "desktop use" a doubling or even then quadrupling there would certainly matter. It seems to otherwise be a 2020 system with a Ryzen 5 3500U -- and I can assure you that that would be a lot more than I'd at the moment ever need from a mobile system. I.e., I'd say that upping the RAM and being happy makes sense.
I'm staying with the old drive.
I currently have 16gb, but why not max it out and upgrade to 32gb i say...

Yes, this is the only system I have (mobile, no desktop), so yea.. It does what it needs to do.

I just wanted to say, thank you for your help. Really, appreciated it, you made my day !
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

By the way, for you or anyone else hitting on this thread in the future due to the WD Black SN770 mention: good, in-depth review at https://nascompares.com/review/wd-black ... sd-review/

TL;DR; for a DRAM-less one, good drive, but you'd better make sure the system you wish to use it in supports HMB, a part of the NVMe 1.2 standard, and I'm noticing by glancing at spec pages of motherboards that this isn't generally easily verified. Something like OP's PCIe 3.0 laptop I feel pretty sure would not. Even given HMB certainly actual dedicated on-SSD DRAM is going to be better always -- but I personally feel HMB "valid technology" at least.

Return to “Storage”