[Solved] My Aspire One Card readers; they no worky!

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] My Aspire One Card readers; they no worky!

Post by M_Mynaardt » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 am

Hi all!

I've divorced myself from Windows and put all three of my computers (a desktop, a netbook, and a laptop) on Linux Mint and Ubuntu. I'm just having a bit of problem with my netbook; it's an Acer Aspire One netbook I bought two years ago. Everything seems to work just fine, except the two card readers (one SD card reader and one multi-card reader). When I pop an SD card in either, nothing happens. If I put the SD card in a USB adapter, then the netbook reads the SD card just fine.

Therefore I figure that my netbook needs a driver or two to put it back on track for reading cards in those two slots. Any suggestions as to how I can go about fixing this?

Thanks in advance, all!
Last edited by M_Mynaardt on Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Re: My Aspire One Card readers; they no worky!

Post by dawgdoc » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 pm

For help to be provided, please post the specific card reader models. You can find this in the output from

Code: Select all

lspci

Are there more than one Acer Aspire One models?

If you are trying SDHC cards, 4Gb or larger, try a 1 or 2 Gb card and see if it can read that.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon
READING: Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

krimzonstarr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krimzonstarr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:04 pm

This has been a LONG time problem with debian/ubuntu/mint with the AAO series. I have a ZG5 model.

The fixes listed at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne worked until Ubuntu Lucid/Mint Isadora, allowed both readers to be hot-swappable.

Now, with no modifications or fixes the left-hand reader works perfectly. The right-hand does not work at all, unless there is a card inserted during boot-up. Then, it works as intended.

You can try the fixes listed at the ubuntu comminity site or http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne Which always did work, until the newest release cycle.

Currently, the best fix for me is nothing, and just make sure whichever card reader isn't working (and I want to use on this bootup) has a card inserted on booting up.
Booting Linux Mint Isadora on AAO zg5

M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi there!

Thanks for the advice! I'll check those out and see how they were.

I hadn't thought about the capacity of the SD card I was inserting; I was using a 16G card I like to use for data and all that fun stuff...
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”