Weird hdd setup on existing box, how to get Mint to fit?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Daxiuyi85
Level 1
Level 1

Weird hdd setup on existing box, how to get Mint to fit?

Post by Daxiuyi85 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:07 am

I hope I'm asking this question in the right place. If not, I apologise.

I am considering installing Mint to my would-be new computer later on this year. However I am impatient, and I am sorely tempted to spend the upcoming long weekend in Australia installing Mint on my existing box running Win XP.

The thing is my hdd setup is a little strange, and I'm not sure how much reorganisation (if any) I have to do before I can install. Let me explain my setup. I'm not very good with this computer stuff, so excuse me if my naming etc isn't technically correct.

I originally had one 80GB hdd which I partitioned (well, I asked a friend to do it for me :P) into 3 drives (C-E). WinXP boots off my C:, all my programs live on D: and my music/videos/documents live on E:

Now I made these partitions all equal, which in hindsight was pretty dumb, because my E: is now nearly bursting, whereas my D: is comfortable and my C: nearly empty. So (rather than re-partition) I went and bought an extra 320GB hdd (it was on special hehe). Not sure how to partition it, I created one partition of 80GB (G:) and two others of ~120GB (H: and I:). Since the hdd is new, these three drives are almost totally empty (at this stage muahaha). As I'm using WinXP SP2, I'm pretty sure they've been partitioned using NTFS.

Is there anything I need to do in order to prepare my hdd's for a Mint installation? Should I do a repartitioning of my new hdd? Or take the easy way out and just buy yet another hdd on special and put Mint on that?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

DaXiuyi

manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by manishk » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:11 am

Another HDD? With a 320GB almost empty ??!! :? I think its better to just reorganize the existing one.

The only pre-installation preparation you need to do is empty one of your partitions (may be G: will do, since its the smallest) and defragment it.

Thats it!!

During the install process just split this partition (its quite easy, thanks to GParted, so you dont have to call your friend this time :P ) as 1 ext3 and 1 swap. The rule of the thumb is the swap must be twice the size of your RAM.

If you plan to continue running Mint on it, then may be you can create a separate partition for your /home

I never installed any OS with are two HDDs, so hope this works.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”