Mount on load

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Mount on load

Post by Acid_1 »

When I boot up Mint, I would like to be able to have my hda3 mount on load. How would I go about doing this? :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Mount on load

Post by Fred »

Acid_1,

In order for hda3 to mount on boot you should have a line in /etc/fstab like this:

# /dev/sda3
UUID=E220906F20904C83 /media/sda3 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

This assumes that the partition is formated ntfs. If it is fat32 or ext3 then change it to that in the line above. The UUID number above is just an example. To get the correct UUID number, open a terminal and type:

sudo vol_id -u /dev/sda3

You will get a string of numbers/letters. Replace the one in the /etc/fstab entry above with the one you just calculated and save the file.

sda3 should now mount when you boot into the system.

Fred
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I used the code you gave me

Code: Select all

# /dev/sda3
UUID=E220906F20904C83 /media/sda3 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
and put my UUID in place. however, after this, I rebooted and the drive doesn't even show up anywhere. so i replaced it with this, again putting my UUID in

# /dev/sda3
UUID=E220906F20904C83 /media/hda3 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
So, that didn't work either. I rebooted again, and it hung, so I got rid of that line all together. What did I do wrong. It is NTFS filesys. However, I don't run Windows, just wanted to clear that up.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Acid_1

Did you look at the storage media?

With the line in fstab as I had it, corrected for your UUID, open Firefox and in the url window put, /media/sda3 ,hit enter and tell me what you get.

Open Gparted and post a screen shot of that drive partition table please.

Fred
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Hopefully you can help me, I seem to be having the same problem as Acid_1. I'm new to linux and as such am dual-booting with WinXp until i get things set up the way I want and learn a little more. Since I am doing this, I would like to have access in Linux to the 3 NTFS partitions which contain all my data that I use in Windows. I am able to mount these partitions fine manually however it would be nice to have them mount automatically on boot. I followed the advice you gave Acid_1 and added the necessary lines to my /etc/fstab file but this seemed to change nothing. Here's a copy of my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=d25c2190-948f-4617-855e-8f2da6f8a2f0 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda7
UUID=95fb9764-bfc5-4a73-93c5-b15c4535ec7e none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0
# /dev/sda6
UUID=4ce0f499e0f48a8a /media/sda6 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=d420c96e20c9585e /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=01c541bda4c93000 /media/sda5 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jesse,

Make sure you have the latest version of ntfs-3g installed. Open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g

Close terminal.

Open your /home directory and create new folders called Windows:C, Windows:D, and Windows:E

Open /etc/fstab for editing. Change the line:

UUID=d420c96e20c9585e /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

to

UUID=d420c96e20c9585e /home/your_username/Windows:C ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

Change the line:

UUID=01c541bda4c93000 /media/sda5 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

to

UUID=01c541bda4c93000 /home/your_username/Windows:D ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

Change the line:

UUID=4ce0f499e0f48a8a /media/sda6 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

to

UUID=4ce0f499e0f48a8a /home/your_username/Windows:D ntfs-3g defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1

Save the file and exit.

If you don't want them mounted in your home directory you can leave them /media/sdax. I guessed at what the drives were called in Windows. ie C,D,&E If I was wrong just change the name of the folder and the entry in fstab.

Reboot and that should do it. Read and write.

Fred

EDIT: I assumed your UUIDs were correct.
jesse

Post by jesse »

First off, thanks for your speedy reply.

I tried making the changes to my fstab file you suggested but it didn't seem to do anything except possibly cause the system to freeze about 50% of the time while booting. This may be a separate issue however as I'm getting a nautilus-debug-log in my home directory that has popped up (I'm still trying to figure that one out though). Anyway, I can still see the different partitions when I open My Computer and can mount them by right-clicking on them and selecting mount but again it would be nice if I didn't have to do this. If you have any more suggestions or steps I can try to track down the issue they would be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jesse,

Try changing the folder names in the fstab and your /home directory to Windows_C, D, and E. And let me know if this makes a difference. Also, after you reboot, do you not see anything in these folders?

Fred
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thanks again, Fred,

I tried changing the folders in the /home directory to Windows_C, Windows_D, and Windows_E and made the corresponding changes in fstab as suggested but again, nothing. Nothing shows up in the contents of these folders and they are not being inadvertently mounted somewhere else as in My Computer when right-clicking, it gives me the option to mount these partitions but not unmount them.

I guess I'll try triple-checking the UUID's and my syntax.

After doing a little bit of reading on the net, I was wondering if I should try installing MintDisk and mounting the partitions that way. From what I've been able to figure out, MintDisk should be able to auto-mount NTFS partitions without editing fstab but was taken out of Daryna as it was apparently no longer necessary (is this true?). Also, I performed the earlier mentioned ntfs-3g update and already had the latest version.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jesse,

Actually, the lines in fstab that I gave Acid_1 should have worked in Mint 4. The lines in fstab that I gave you only called ntfs-3g manually, and mounted in /home. This should have worked also.

Please recheck the UUIDs and the spacing in the fstab lines. You understand that each of those lines is only one line don't you? There are no returns in the UUID line.

When you are positive that everything is right, and it still doesn't work try downloading ntfs-config with:

Sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

This will put a small GUI config routine in your menu. I have never tried to use it but maybe it knows something I don't. :-)

Another automated GUI routine that I have heard works well, but I haven't used is pysdm. Use the same install line in a terminal as above.

I don't know what effect the changes we made to fstab will have on these routines, so you may need to put a # in front of the UUID of each of the 3 ntfs lines to comment them out.

Please try to keep notes on what you do and the effects of each. I would really like to know what is happening here.

Fred
jesse

Post by jesse »

Well, I've finally had success. I installed mintdisk_1.7_i386.deb from the bianca repository (http://www.linuxmint.com/repository/bianca/), left all the default options selected, deleted the references to these partitions that I had added in /etc/fstab, rebooted and voila! It mounted all three partitions to /media/<<DEVICE>>

It looks like ntfs-config (http://flomertens.free.fr/ntfs-config/index.htmlprobably would have done the same thing from what I can see of it's features and may have slightly more configurability as it seems to allow the user to select which partitions in particular to mount and to specify a specific mount point for each rather than going with a mounting scheme such as /media/<<DEVICE>>, but hey I've got things working right now so I think I'll leave things the way they are and focus on learning a bit more about the Linux OS before trying to fix something that ain't broken.

I'm still not quite sure why our previous attempts at editing /etc/fstab didn't work, but maybe someone more learned will come along and enlighten us all.

Thanks again for all the hand-holding.
jesse

Post by jesse »

Just took a look at PySDM (http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/) and for those who may be reading this post and dealing with a similar issue, this may end up being the best option. Judging by the screenshots it seems to offer the most configurability while at the same time being quite simple.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jesse,

I am glad you got it working, but I sure would like to know what I was doing wrong.

Would you post back a copy of what you now have in /etc/fstab? Maybe that will tell me something.

Thanks,

Fred
jesse

Post by jesse »

Fred,

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the contents of my fstab file are going to help figure things out at since it appears as though MintDisk works independently of /etc/fstab. sda3 is my main Linux ext3 partition while sda7 is obviously my swap partition.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda3
UUID=d25c2190-948f-4617-855e-8f2da6f8a2f0 /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda7
UUID=95fb9764-bfc5-4a73-93c5-b15c4535ec7e none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec 0       0

Return to “Storage”