Can't connect 3 computers, 2 printers, 1 wifi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Can't connect 3 computers, 2 printers, 1 wifi

Post by cecilieaux »

This is an attempt to see if I can get farther than last time I brought my printer/scanner problems here. I've upgraded my Linuces (to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit), it's a new year and I'm retired, so I should have the time and patience for this.

THE PROBLEM: WANT TO CONNECT 3 PUTERS TO 1 PRINTER/SCANNER, PREFERABLY VIA WIFI

At home, we (my better half and I) have 3 computers (a desktop and laptop running Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 64-bit and a third desktop running Windows 7), 2 printers (an Epson XP-410 and a HP Officejet All-in-One J3680) and one always-on wifi connection with a repeater (makes reception better in study and bedroom). The Windows 7 seems to recognize a Workgroup with computers we no longer have. I once installed Samba in the two Linux machines (when I was running Mint 17) but did nothing to configure it (I was daunted by the complexity and didn't have the free time) and am not even sure it's there still.

Now I would like to see if I can connect all 3 computers to one printer, preferably the XP-410 (it is newer and has a flatbed scanner, whereas the other can scan but you have to run the document through the paper path, which is problematic with flimsy documents). I was once able to scan, but then I lost the connection viewtopic.php?f=90&t=240111&hilit=printer#p1281640 and then I was left with printing and no scanning (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=238078&hilit=printer).

The Officejet J3680 is wired to the desktop (it prints and may still scan, haven't tried in a while). The Epson XP-410 can be wired to a laptop (works with the Windows 7, haven't tried the Linux machines, cable is not long enough to reach the desktop).

I have no idea where to start. I'm a relative newbie (only a continuous Linux user since 2014, although used old Red Hat in the 1990s and Mandrake in the 00s, one as a server, the other for fun and sporadically).

INTENDED SOLUTION: to somehow connect the Epson XP-410 to the wifi network and all the computers to share access via wifi (unless told a cable splitter would work better, would need a little help).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

allow shared

Post by pdc_2 »

so whilst I sit down and check all this out;

first thing I would suggest is go to the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside ADMINISTRATION) .......

click on the SERVER item; top left;

2 down to SETTINGS: allow shared ........ as in the enclosed thumbnail; does that help anything; at all ?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: allow shared

Post by JerryF »

pdc_2 wrote:so whilst I sit down and check all this out;

first thing I would suggest is go to the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside ADMINISTRATION) .......

2 down to SETTINGS: allow shared ........ as in the enclosed thumbnail; does that help anything; at all ?
This isn't necessary. What the OP needs to do is connect the Epson wirelessly to the router by using the front pane of the printer. You would connect the printer to the wireless router the same way would connect a wireless tablet. You'll look for your router's wireless name and connect to that using the wireless password.

I have an Epson XP-640 that is connected this way so that any desktop, laptop, tablet, etc. can print to/scan from the Epson.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: allow shared

Post by cecilieaux »

JerryF wrote:
pdc_2 wrote:so whilst I sit down and check all this out;

2 down to SETTINGS: allow shared ........ I have an Epson XP-640 that is connected this way so that any desktop, laptop, tablet, etc. can print to/scan from the Epson.
This managed to get to a (kind of) print test. The result was that some ink came on paper, but it wasn't very good. So there is a connection, but something is not working. Could be ink. Have to check that.

Meanwhile, I tried to scan from the XP-410 and Simple scan doesn't recognize any scanner.
Cecilieaux
--
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't connect 3 computers, 2 printers, 1 wifi

Post by cecilieaux »

OK, I followed advice to turn off the firewall and the Simple scan recognized the scanner. I have to find a better way.
Cecilieaux
--
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cecilieaux wrote:OK, I followed advice to turn off the firewall and the Simple scan recognized the scanner. I have to find a better way.
Have you connected the printer wirelessly to the router?

If Simple Scan works with the firewall off, you can create a rule with Firewall Configuration so that it will let communications go in and out from the printer/scanner so that the firewall can remain on.

I can help with that if you need it.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

So Cecil;

If one were starting from the beginning; I would suggest installing a printer driver for the Epson on one computer; and getting that working; let's call that the primary computer for the XP-410;

for the XP-410, Epson recommend; if one just uses the generic driver; issued 27th Dec 2017; the epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.18-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb from here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 7c9fc55487

........ so we need to know if you have already installed that;

if you use a usb connection, then others; in your network; can access it when the primary computer (laptop?) is turned on; ....... if all the printers are primarily connected to it, Ubuntu call this computer the print server;

now here I would refer to the Ubuntu guide on networking printers; and I would suggest we are talking about a network here ............ https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netwo ... WithUbuntu

_______
for anyone else; on a desktop etc ...... to access the XP ....... you need to activate the "sharing" function ...... as in the thumbnail below; .......that is what I read from the Ubuntu how-to;
as an alternative to usb, if you want the XP to be connected wirelessly; that is all very do-able; but I would suggest setting up a static ip address for the XP; that is another fork in the road we can manage if you so wish ..

I would suggest we get the printer function going; and be able to be accessed by at least the other Mint computer; and then move to the scanner; JerryF is very knowledgable and fluent on the Epson scanners and I am sure can provide the key valuable input there
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

JerryF wrote:
cecilieaux wrote:OK, I followed advice to turn off the firewall and the Simple scan recognized the scanner. I have to find a better way.
Have you connected the printer wirelessly to the router?

If Simple Scan works with the firewall off, you can create a rule with Firewall Configuration so that it will let communications go in and out from the printer/scanner so that the firewall can remain on.

I'd love that! I haven't forgotten, just got a little distracted. How would I do that?
Cecilieaux
--
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

JerryF wrote:Have you connected the printer wirelessly to the router?

cecilieaux wrote: I'd love that! I haven't forgotten, just got a little distracted. How would I do that?
Hi cecileaux,
Just to preface, all routers are different, especially with where to find settings and how they are laid out.

Make sure the printer/scanner is on.

We'll set the printer/scanner to a static IP Address. We need to do that so that the firewall rule will allow a particular IP address in and out.

You should be able to do this through your router's settings web page. Most routers use 192.168.1.1. Type this in your web browser's address bar. You should get a page(s) to change settings in your router. Find the IP and MAC address of the printer/scanner in list (probably located in a wireless DHCP Client List. Make note of both IP and MAC address of the printer/scanner.

Example:

Code: Select all

ID	IP Address		MAC Address			   Host Name
1	 192.168.1.5	  00:00:00:00:00:00		EpsonXP-640
Find something like Address Reservation in your router's settings. Mine has 3 fields to fill: Description, IP Address, and MAC Address. I used the make and model of my printer/scanner for the Description. Add it to the list.

You'll be using your own IP and MAC Addresses, but:

Example:

Code: Select all

Address Reservation List
ID	Description		    IP Address	 MAC Address
6	 EpsonXP-640Printer	192.168.1.5	00:00:00:00:00:00
Now we'll set the firewall rule to allow the printer/scanner to go through.
In Linux menu, find Firewall Configuration. Click on the Rules button. Click on the + on the lower left to add a rule. Click on Advanced button.

Example:
Shutter-001.jpg
If you need help, just shout---and when shouting, give me the make and model of your wireless router.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

JerryF wrote:
Hi cecileaux,
Just to preface, all routers are different, especially with where to find settings and how they are laid out.

Make sure the printer/scanner is on.

We'll set the printer/scanner to a static IP Address. We need to do that so that the firewall rule will allow a particular IP address in and out.

You should be able to do this through your router's settings web page. Most routers use 192.168.1.1.If you need help, just shout---and when shouting, give me the make and model of your wireless router.
I went to 192.168.1.1 and it turned out (with my password saving device) that I had a password to enter a very nice GUI HTML page for my Linksys WRT1900ACS router. Below are the options I get:
Screenshot from 2018-02-01 19-10-54.png
Sorry to be such a door knob.
Cecilieaux
--
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

JerryF wrote:

You should be able to do this through your router's settings web page. Most routers use 192.168.1.1.If you need help, just shout---and when shouting, give me the make and model of your wireless router.
I checked the network map and and it has an assigned IP. (I turned the printer off then turned it back on and it was the same IP. I assume that means it's the permanent internal IP for the wireless LAN.)
Cecilieaux
--
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

JerryF wrote:Now we'll set the firewall rule to allow the printer/scanner to go through.
In Linux menu, find Firewall Configuration. Click on the Rules button. Click on the + on the lower left to add a rule. Click on Advanced button.
Did this, but simple scan says "no scanner detected." Here's my rule:
Screenshot from 2018-02-01 19-27-25.png
Cecilieaux
--
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

As JerryF stated "connect the Epson wirelessly to the router by using the front pane of the printer." That's the easy way. Until the printer is connected to the router, it won't work.
I have 4 Linux Mint laptops and 2 Windows laptops connected to the same printer wirelessly.
It's simple and it works for me.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cecilieaux wrote:
JerryF wrote:

I checked the network map and and it has an assigned IP. (I turned the printer off then turned it back on and it was the same IP. I assume that means it's the permanent internal IP for the wireless LAN.)
No, that IP address just happened to be available so the router assigned the printer/scanner the same IP.
Last edited by JerryF on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

cecilieaux wrote:
JerryF wrote:Now we'll set the firewall rule to allow the printer/scanner to go through.
Did this, but simple scan says "no scanner detected." Here's my rule:

Screenshot from 2018-02-01 19-27-25.png
Try following my example for the firewall, except for the IP address.

I notice you have it set only for IN with direction.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

Haven't forgotten, just been lazy.
Cecilieaux
--

Return to “Printers & Scanners”