Wireless printer looses IP address when powered off

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Wireless printer looses IP address when powered off

Post by wpshooter »

I am setting up a Brother model MFC-J480DW wireless printer.

The setup wizard assigns an IP address to the printer from my router, however
the IP address is only retained as long as power is supplied to the printer, i.e. when
printer is unplugged, the IP address assignment has to be done over again. My
question is is this loss of the IP address when power supplies is cut off common
to all wireless printers ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Wireless printer looses IP address when powered off

Post by JoeFootball »

All devices on your network are assigned IPs via your router's DHCP. In your router's control panel, I'll bet there's a way for you to assign a static IP to your printer's MAC address.

Joe
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:50 am All devices on your network are assigned IPs via your router's DHCP. In your router's control panel, I'll bet there's a way for you to assign a static IP to your printer's MAC address.

Joe
Joe: I think you are correct but trying to get info regarding this from Brother is like pulling teeth !!!

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

wpshooter wrote:Joe: I think you are correct but trying to get info regarding this from Brother is like pulling teeth !!!
I don't think this has anything to do with your printer, but with your router.

Every time your router sees a device appear on the network, it assigns it an IP. In your case, it appears that this is a dynamic IP by default. What you want to do is have the router assign your printer's MAC address the same static IP each time.

Your router identifies all devices on the network by their MAC address. If you go into your router's control panel, there should be a DHCP table, which shows which device's MAC address has currently been assigned with which IP address. From there, you can discern what your printer's MAC address is, and then investigate how to get a static IP assigned to it.

Joe
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

you should set your printer to a static IP address on your network, which is outside the normal range for other devices. for instance mine is set in the
.250 range which will never interfere with any other device. With HP it's possible to do it from the HP control panel, I do not know if that is possible with Brother however.
may be an online search will reveal that. good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Not being smart here, but I have never, ever, turned a printer off purposely.

Why bother?

they are all wireless here in my house, and shared by a lot of us.
I have never noticed that they effected my power bill in the slightest.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

What Joe said. This issue is nothing to do with Brother hardware, and it's nothing to do with Linux Mint either.

Access your router and as Joe said, assign a static IP. Another way if you can't see how to do that is to power on the device then set the router to assign a permanent lease to that IP.

From another angle - why does your printer need a fixed IP? Mine doesn't and Mint has no problem seeing it on the network and printing to it without reconfiguring every time the IP changes.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”