HP Laserjet Pro M118dw

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

HP Laserjet Pro M118dw

Post by KenWA »

I am looking for a mono laser to replace my Canon which appears to be incompatible with Linux Mint 19.3. I cannot make sense of the HP sites which seems to send one round in circles looking for an answer. So does anyone know whether the above printer is compatible with Linux and the latest version of HPLIP?
Last edited by KenWA on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HP Laserjet Pro M118dw

Post by brian_p »

KenWA wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:38 am
I am looking for a mono laser to replace my Canon which appears to be incompatible with Linux Mint 19.3. I cannot make sense of the HP sites which seems to send one round in circles looking for an answer. So does anyone know whether the above printer is compatible with Linux and the latest version of HPLIP?
I cannot think of a single reason why the device is not compatible with Mint/Ubuntu/Debian. It is an AirPrint printer and the printing system on these OSs is centred on such modern machines. You can forget about using any version of HPLIP (and a plugin) - it is not required.

See https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting.

I don't suppose you have purchased the M118dw yet?
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Thank you for the information. No, I have not yet purchased the printer but am awiting positive confirmation forst. I have spend much time trying to set up an existing printer which appears to beincompatible.

MicroDrie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MicroDrie »

According to the HP support site https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index is the HP Laserjet Pro M118dw printer since the release of hplip 3.18.9 supported.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

I have now purchased the printer but the supplied documentation refers only to Windows and Mac and despite looking at all the suggested websites i can find no reference to help for Linux. Has anyone experience of setting up this printer? I am aiming at wireless since i had so much trouble with a USB printer.
I tried to Add a Network printer giving the address of my router as the host but LM fails to find it.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

I gave a link to driverless printing earlier on. Please read it. However, to get you going run the command

Code: Select all

driverless
It should show a line corresponding your printer. The line is a URI (Unified Resource Identifier). Then do

lpadmin -p PRINTER -E -v URI -m everywhere
Replace PRINTER by any name which you want to give to your print queue; what you use is not crucial. Replace URI by your printer's URI as listed by the driverless command; this is crucial.
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Thank you. I ran the shortened version as you suggested but apart from a short interval the cursor returned and nothing happened.
Driverless.jpeg

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

KenWA wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm
Thank you. I ran the shortened version as you suggested but apart from a short interval the cursor returned and nothing happened.
Nothing happening visibly on the screen is good. It means the command completed successfully. You should see Laserjet in the output of

lpstat -a
and in print dialogs.

And be able to print with

lp -d Laserjet /etc/nsswitch.conf
Can you?
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

It actually printed on my Canon networked inkjet.
printer.jpg

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

KenWA wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:55 pm
It actually printed on my Canon networked inkjet.
Do I understand correctly? You did

lp -d Laserjet /etc/nsswitch.conf]
and the job was printed on your Canon inkjet? Please show

lpstat -t
--
Brian.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

Also give what you have for

driverless
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

printer2.jpg
printer2.jpg
Attachments
driverless2.jpeg

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

You have set up the Laserjet queue correctly. It doesn't seem possible for

lp -d Laserjet /etv/nsswitch.conf
to print on the Canon if the URI is correct.

What do you get for

avahi-browse -rt _ipp._tcp
and

avahi-browse -rt _uscan._tcp
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

avahi: Command not found

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

I had avahi -browse instead of avahi-browse. Herewith the results.
avahi 1.odt
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
avahi 1.odt
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Attachments
avahi 2.odt
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

avahi 2.odt
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

Your avahi-browse outputs confirm what I first thought. You will see that avahi1.odt contains information for the Canon but not for the M118dw. The M118dw is not connected to the network.

I believe a wireless connection may be set up from the front panel of the printer with WPS. You will need to have a WPS button on your router.
--
Brian.

KenWA
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KenWA »

Well that was confirmed by actually printing to the Canon.

However, I have some further information. I am actually working on a dual boot system with Windows 7 so I turned to Windows since HP provides a plethora of information for Windows but little for Linux. I was actually trying to set it up for USB but Windows seemed to have ideas of its own and I ended up with a WiFi Direct connection and can print directly without going through my router. For now I am just happy that I can use the printer because I have been going through a lot of ink with the Canon.

I then went back to Linux Mint but it still said it could not find a networked printer so I tried USB with immediate success and printed out a test page. I would prefer the wireless or WiFi Direct on LM which I use mostly but at least it is working. I have WPS on my router so I will try that approach but there may be some delay now that the urgency has disappeared.

Thank you for your time and patience. If you leave your connection to my post open I will update you later.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

KenWA wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:27 am
Well that was confirmed by actually printing to the Canon.
Indeed. It is also indictated by the URI not being of a form used by HP. However, it is as well to be absolutely sure.

Your Canon is on the network. Note how long it took to set up a queue for it - less than a minute to issue two commands. No vendor software (and its bugs) to download; future-proof printing; comprehensive support by CUPS and cups-filters. What more could one want?
I then went back to Linux Mint but it still said it could not find a networked printer...
Putting the device on the network for it to be discovered is the job of the user, not the Mint OS.
...but at least it is working.
I would say your issue is solved and should be marked as such.
--
Brian.

brian_p
Level 5
Level 5

Post by brian_p »

Hello Ken,

I forgot to ask: if you have the printer on USB I would be interested in what you get for

lsusb -v | grep -A 10 bInterfaceClass.*7
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”