PDF messed up the printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Masuuni
Level 1
Level 1

PDF messed up the printer

Post by Masuuni »

Hello,

I have HP DeskJet 2632 printer and it works fine with HPLIP which I installed from Software Manager... Until I tried to print a PDF from Finnish Digital and population data services agency. After that, all documents I have tried to print are in wrong position on the paper (PDF printer works OK with same documents). Printer is adding margins (3 mm to top, 7 mm to right and 13 mm to bottom side of the paper) and cutting off sides from the picture (13 mm from the top, 3 mm from the right, 3 mm from the bottom and 4 mm from the left side of the picture) on its own. Scale of the picture is OK.

Any ideas what I should do to restored the printer?

I have Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce

I also tried to use older computer (Linux Mint 18.3 Mate) and printer itself still works right. But after I print that specific PDF, the same thing happened. And now I have two computer which can not print properly :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: PDF messed up the printer

Post by Moonstone Man »

Masuuni wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:02 pm ... after I print that specific PDF, the same thing happened. And now I have two computer which can not print properly :?
You don't say if you rebooted the printer or not. The PDF may contain characters that are being interpreted by the printer as commands, and if that's the case, you need to clean the PDF. Printing the PDF to PDF might fix it.
Masuuni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Masuuni »

I did reboot the printer and the computer, but the problem stays.
I don't need that harmful PDF file anymore, so cleaning it would not be necessary.
But because all documents that I try to print are now acting this way, no need to be even PDF, that's the problem. For example I have many CAD drawings (.dxf) and I use LibreCAD to open and print those. And now those drawings are coming out this way wrong. (drawings are mostly readable but doesn't look very professional)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Masuuni wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:41 pm I did reboot the printer and the computer, but the problem stays.
I don't need that harmful PDF file anymore, so cleaning it would not be necessary.
But because all documents that I try to print are now acting this way, no need to be even PDF, that's the problem. For example I have many CAD drawings (.dxf) and I use LibreCAD to open and print those. And now those drawings are coming out this way wrong. (drawings are mostly readable but doesn't look very professional)
Can you provide the exact web address of your problem PDF?

I have looked here https://dvv.fi/en/brochures-and-publications - but there's a lot of different things to download ...

I know similar printing and printer problems actually only from Mac OSX, if I wanted to print a .docx document created in Windows in the letter format stupidly as A4 (control, control and nothing but control...).
Usually there was a print corpse in the print queue, which just had to be deleted.
If otherwise not possible, I deleted the printer entry and reinstalled the printer driver.
Masuuni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Masuuni »

I received original PDF via email from their employee.
And I put it in Dropbox

Also find it form dvv.fi, but without electric filling:
https://dvv.fi/documents/16079645/20465 ... 672291847]
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I have from both addresses:

1. "printed" the PDF directly from Firefox
2. "downloaded" the PDF file (Firefox)

1. As a "printed" file, the PDF is 2.4 MB in size and does not contain embedded fonts - so it is a pure graphic file, without text editing capabilities.

2. As a "downloaded" file, the PDF is 83.4 kB in size and contains the HelveticaNeueLTStd embedded in three font weights as Type 1C. Text is editable.

XReader opened both PDFs without problems and I saved both files again from XReader as new PDFs (Menu > Print > as PDF).
The "printed" PDF is still 2.4 MB, the "downloaded" PDF was reduced to an amazing 39.5 kB (quality good, text still editable).

(Opening or importing in Scribus 1.5.1 showed somewhat pathetic results, font was squashed and especially numbers almost unreadable. And a newly created PDF looked exactly the same. Libre Office Draw was completely overwhelmed)

My used system: Mint 20.2 MATE with the usual included programs with all updates - no system anomalies of any kind
Masuuni
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Masuuni »

To make it clear what my printer is doing I draw a picture with measuring lines, and printed it on paper and to PDF.
Here is the result: PDF print and scanned paper print
Clearly the PDF is correct and paper print has extra margins and missing edges.

If I need to uninstall printer drivers, how I should do that? I suppose that simple pressing "uninstall HPLIP" in software manager, would not do the trick.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Code: Select all

Step 12: Align the printer
Align the ink cartridges using the printer software.
Windows
Align the ink cartridges in Windows.

Open or search for the HP folder in your list of installed software programs, click the folder for your printer, and then click the name of your printer.
    The HP Printer Assistant software opens.
    Click Print & Scan, and then click Maintain Your Printer.
    Click the Device Services tab, and then click Align Cartridges.
    The printer prints an alignment page.
    Lift the scanner lid.
    Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass, and then position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.
    Figure : Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass
    Image: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass
    On your computer, click Scan. The printer aligns the ink cartridges.

Mac
Align the ink cartridges in macOS or OS X.

Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.
    Click Printers and Scanners or Print & Scan.
    Click the name of your printer, and then click Open Print Queue.
    Click Printer Setup or Settings, click Utility, and then click Open Printer Utility.
    Click Align.
    The printer prints an alignment page.
    Lift the scanner lid.
    Place the alignment page with the print side down on the scanner glass, and then position it according to the engraved guides around the glass.
    Figure : Placing the alignment page on the scanner glass
    Image: Place the alignment page on the scanner glass
    On your computer, click Scan. The printer aligns the ink cartridges.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/m ... NT_QUALITY

That's what HP says about aligning the printheads. Do you have something like the Win/Mac HP-Print Utilities on Linux?

If not, or if it doesn't help, you can delete the existing printer in the printer dialog box and add the printer again.
So just experiment with the individual printer entry and leave the entire HPLIP environment untouched. At least for now.

It is new to me that a print template can bring the print heads out of calibration in such a way.
What I know are inkjet printers that simply cut off the part that protrudes beyond the printable area without any feedback - or printers that issue a warning before printing and offer a reduction in size.
But to be honest, nothing at HP amazes me anymore since they had the funny idea of an expiration date even with exchangeable printheads.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”