Before you post please read this
hapEcat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: HPLIP installation

Post by hapEcat »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:49 pm
When you used kelebek333's suggestion, did you specify which hplip you wanted? Looks like in his case, he got the then-current one. His Terminal command didn't specify a particular release.
I downloaded the tarball and extracted a .run and a .asc, but didn't know what to do with them (the .runfile needed another file (python3-pyqt5) that I couldn't find). My Linux knowledge is just enough to get me into a lot of trouble. And as far as advice to others, if I haven't done it myself, with a positive outcome, I keep my mouth shut.
I added his PPA, and I think it was a couple of hours later, it (v3.22.2) showed in the Update Manager.
HP 15-f271wm Laptop
OS: x64 dual boot (W10/Mint21 Cinnamon/kernel 6.0.7-060007-generic)
Shared NTFS DATA partition
CPU: 2.16GHz Intel Pentium N3540 64-bit Quad Core
RAM: 8GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)
GPU: Intel HD graphics (Bay Trail)
SSD: ADATA SU760 (512GB)
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Post by gittiest personITW »

I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' way to do it but this worked for me for an HP M477fdw which stopped printing on the network for some reason (wireless) even though it could be seen on the network and the computer seemed to think it was printing ok.
After trying hplip (kelebek333 ppa) and trying to go through the 'add printer' settings and choosing the named printer, it still didn't work properly or it didn't show Duplex option.
The only way I managed to get it working correctly was
in /usr/share/HP/ppd find the printer model. Copy the tar.gz file to your /Downloads folder. Extract it. You have a .ppd file. Give it a wave and whisper sweet words to it.

Menu
Printers
Add printer.
ignored named printers this time.
in the Network Printer, type in the ip address of the printer. Find.
In the right hand box click "HP Linux imaging and printing (HPLIP)". Forward.
It searches for drivers. Now click provide PPD file. and navigate to your newly extracted ppd file.
It found Duplex drivers and works nicely again.
Then duplicated that and made a couple others (colour duplex, colour single, b/w duplex, b/w single - choose your favourite for default by right-clicking in the Printers window.)
Let us know if that works. As I said, this might not be the correct way to do it but this was the only way I could get it to work after spending far too much time trying to get the printer to print on the network rather than sticking a USB into it and just printing from that which would have taken a few seconds!
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

OP here. Trying a back-to-the-basics approach. This new machine (Dell Optiplex 5060) came to us with Win10 OS. When we got it I never even booted Windows, but overwrote with Mate 20.3. Installation seemed to be correct and worked as expected. All bookmarks & local files transferred, various system settings made, etc. But the attempts to install two apps, both installed by me and used w/o difficulty in the old pc, returned weird errors.

So- in an effort to narrow the possible sources of problems, went back to square one and downloaded a new instance of Mate 20.3, checksums matched, install went w/o a hiccup, all seems normal. (Of course, that was the case at the same point with the original install as well.) Ran the computer for a couple of days, looking for any issues, none found. Yesterday installed Musescore via Software Mgr, all good with that effort. Just now about to try to install Veeam (not available via Software Mgr), starting with a new download. If that succeeds, on to hplip.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Remember to create a Timeshift snapshot at each significant change. Can delete them on a rolling basis.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:49 pm
I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' way to do it but this worked for me for an HP M477fdw which stopped printing on the network for some reason (wireless) even though it could be seen on the network and the computer seemed to think it was printing ok.
After trying hplip (kelebek333 ppa) and trying to go through the 'add printer' settings and choosing the named printer, it still didn't work properly or it didn't show Duplex option.
The only way I managed to get it working correctly was
in /usr/share/HP/ppd find the printer model. Copy the tar.gz file to your /Downloads folder. Extract it. You have a .ppd file. Give it a wave and whisper sweet words to it.

Menu
Printers
Add printer.
ignored named printers this time.
in the Network Printer, type in the ip address of the printer. Find.
In the right hand box click "HP Linux imaging and printing (HPLIP)". Forward.

It found Duplex drivers and works nicely again.
Then duplicated that and made a couple others (colour duplex, colour single, b/w duplex, b/w single - choose your favourite for default by right-clicking in the Printers window.)
Let us know if that works. As I said, this might not be the correct way to do it but this was the only way I could get it to work after spending far too much time trying to get the printer to print on the network rather than sticking a USB into it and just printing from that which would have taken a few seconds!
All went well with OS overwrite (Mate 20.3). Tested for a couple of days, then installed Musescore to test further, all ok. Today installed Veeam, my go-to backup app (which had failed with the previous Mate instance) and that app is now working as expected.

Currently have hplip 3.22.4 downloads- .run, .run.asc, .tar.gz, and .tar.gz.asc. Not sure where the hplip plugin figures into the install, but it's also available. So, to pick your brain:
It searches for drivers. Now click provide PPD file. and navigate to your newly extracted ppd file.
1. Was this via CLI or GUI?
2. And did you install the associated plugin?
3. Also- did you first uninstall any other hplip drivers in Synaptic first?
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

1. Was this via CLI or GUI?
2. And did you install the associated plugin?
3. Also- did you first uninstall any other hplip drivers in Synaptic first?
1) GUI - just navigate to /usr/share/HP/ppd, copy/paste to /Downloads (or wherever), extract it. It could be copied/extracted by CLI quite easily. I personally prefer GUI.
2) HPLIP was already installed from many years ago, but for some reason in the last few weeks the plugin stopped working. I installed the new hplip from kelebeks ppa on top of it. So, when searching for printers, the correct HP printer did show up. However, if you have duplex on your printer, don't pick it but install from scratch using the Host IP address (wifi/network only). The reason for me doing this, this way, was the duplex was greyed out when using the hplip, but all is working well when using the ppd file to re-install the printer.
3) I didn't uninstall anything. My reasoning is that a Timeshift snapshot was done so no biggie if I had to start from scratch.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thanks for that info. I may try a slightly different approach after my experience yesterday with another app, Veeam, which has been my go-to backup app for years. In that event, I installed the deb file in the new computer, and by an hour or so later, Synaptic had picked up the rest of the driver suite, needed to run the app, and I installed those files. I'm thinking that if I install the hplip pkg tarball, perhaps Synaptic will find the rest of that suite, including the plugin. Results to follow...
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Just found this link:
https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index
This page mentions the current hplip version, 3.22.6, but the s/shots are of an older install, so I'm considering running the tutorial with v. 3.22.4 which I used in our old pc, same network, same printer, and which enabled all printer functions including file faxing, which I have used for sensitive docs rather than sending email attachments. Wish me luck...
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Wait.
Hold on.
There was a problem with one of the latest versions. I'll see if I can see what version it was.
The info is somewhere on this forum.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:39 am
Wait.
Hold on.
There was a problem with one of the latest versions. I'll see if I can see what version it was.
The info is somewhere on this forum.
I have used v. 3.22.4 for some time in our old machine with good results. If you find a concern with it, please advise!
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Just trying to find it
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am
Just trying to find it
Thanks, I'll wait.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Probably doesn't apply to you as it was possible about Mint21 and the latest hplip at the time which has probably been superceded by now. If I find it later, will post the link.
Anyhoo, Brian has already said that
brian_p wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:28 pm

The M1522nf has been supported ever since HPLIP version 2.8.10. The version Mint supplied you with is good enough.
Whatever works for you though. Do let us know how it goes as it might come in handy for someone else.
Also let us know what didn't work.
For instance, if the updated hplip does give you a better result - that is brilliant.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Thanks for checking. I expect to stay with 20.3 until closer to end of support. Looks like some issues remain with 21, including Oom- out of memory. Will post back with outcome, sink or swim.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Good luck.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:50 am
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am
Just trying to find it
Thanks, I'll wait.
Think it was just general information about the requirements of which printers:hplip that got frazzled in my head.

Anyway, just to clarify....
Mint 20 has hplip version 3.21.2 installed with it.
Your M1522nf should be ok with any version of hplip from 2.8.10 (if required at all). Just thad to get that out before nurse comes back.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

History recap of this:

Old pc Dell Inspiron, Mate 19.2, network printer HP LaserJet M1522nf, file faxing not enabled with Mate-included hplip 3.17.x. Last spring installed hplip 3.22.4 when released, faxing function fully operational.

New pc, Dell Optiplex 5060, Mate 20.3, same network printer, faxing files not enabled with Mate-included hplip 3.21.8. But a possible flawed Mate install- error message on fax attempt, "missing printer filter" no other info. Docs default to printer queue. Another previously used app, Veeam, failed with weird errors.

One week ago- all-new Mate install, Veeam now installed and working as expected. Haven't tried the Mate-included hplip pkg since reinstallation, So my choices are to retry the included 3.21.8 or go for 3.22.4. Looks like the installation link posted above removes other hplip drivers so maybe trying the older pkg has no downside.
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

The included (and one would hope, newer versions of) hplip that comes with Mint20 should include fax functionality with your printer. Officially. What I'm trying to get at, and whether it is true or not I can't vouch for, is that it doesn't matter which version of hplip you use as long as it is any version from 2.8.10.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:34 am
The included (and one would hope, newer versions of) hplip that comes with Mint20 should include fax functionality with your printer. Officially. What I'm trying to get at, and whether it is true or not I can't vouch for, is that it doesn't matter which version of hplip you use as long as it is any version from 2.8.10.
That's what I thought as well, but that didn't hold true for our previous machine. But since, as mentioned, a new install using the linked tutorial does remove older hplip I guess I'll try it. No interest in being a hero.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Well, no joy.
Went to Synaptic, installed the entire hplip 3.21.8 that shipped with Mate. Fax function not enabled, just as previously. Error message, "missing printer filter", see attachment. No clue where to find that.
Missing printer filter.png
Then went to https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... tall/index which has a tutorial for installing hplip, the same one I used some months back in our old computer. Downloaded .run files (for automatic install) here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/ and used the installer cited to install 3.22.4, then .2, then .6- each install went great until an error message, plugin checksum does not match. During the installs, the installer downloads the plugin for each pkg. I went here: looking for plugins, all are listed, but cannot be downloaded, only opened, generating a mile-long text output that I don't know what to do with.

Attempted to compare checksums here: https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... icate.html got error message, "keyserver not available"

So, all dead ends. Ideas?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”