Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Re: HPLIP installation

Post by Slowpoke47 »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:49 pm
The only way I managed to get it working correctly was
in /usr/share/HP/ppd find the printer model. Copy the tar.gz file to your /Downloads folder. Extract it. You have a .ppd file. Give it a wave and whisper sweet words to it.

Menu
Printers
Add printer.
ignored named printers this time.
in the Network Printer, type in the ip address of the printer. Find.
In the right hand box click "HP Linux imaging and printing (HPLIP)". Forward.
It searches for drivers. Now click provide PPD file. and navigate to your newly extracted ppd file.
It found Duplex drivers and works nicely again.
I'm ready to try your method. but, a question- what if anything did you do about the required plugin? My understanding is that each hplip pkg requires a plugin to run properly.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:57 am
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:49 pm
The only way I managed to get it working correctly was
in /usr/share/HP/ppd find the printer model. Copy the tar.gz file to your /Downloads folder. Extract it. You have a .ppd file. Give it a wave and whisper sweet words to it.

Menu
Printers
Add printer.
ignored named printers this time.
in the Network Printer, type in the ip address of the printer. Find.
In the right hand box click "HP Linux imaging and printing (HPLIP)". Forward.
It searches for drivers. Now click provide PPD file. and navigate to your newly extracted ppd file.
It found Duplex drivers and works nicely again.
I'm ready to try your method. but, a question- what if anything did you do about the required plugin? My understanding is that each hplip pkg requires a plugin to run properly.
I follow this wiki for hplip and his plugin => hplip wiki

Here the link for the hplip plugins => plugins (don't forget to download both files .run and .asc)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 - Asus GTX1660TI EVO - SSD SAMSUNG EVO 860 - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Gigabyte 750W Gold - Case Zalman X3 White
LMDE5 / W11
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Post by gittiest personITW »

' w
hat if anything did you do about the required plugin? My understanding is that each hplip pkg requires a plugin to run properly.
Do a timeshift snapshot and try the ppd method. Don't uninstall anything or install anything or decorate your house with bunting. With a little luck, the worst case scenario is that you need to do a Timeshift restore to get back to where you are now - which you most likely will not need to do.
Likely case if it doesn't work is that you go into 'Printers' and delete the printer that doesn't work.

Have you got any Timeshift snapshots from a few days ago before you started juggling with hplip downloads?
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:36 am
' w
hat if anything did you do about the required plugin? My understanding is that each hplip pkg requires a plugin to run properly.
Do a timeshift snapshot and try the ppd method. Don't uninstall anything or install anything or decorate your house with bunting. With a little luck, the worst case scenario is that you need to do a Timeshift restore to get back to where you are now - which you most likely will not need to do.
Likely case if it doesn't work is that you go into 'Printers' and delete the printer that doesn't work.

Have you got any Timeshift snapshots from a few days ago before you started juggling with hplip downloads?
Just trying your cited method now. Printer is enabled, OS scan function ok, but not specifically via hplip, cannot get fax function installed, error message displays "plugin required (to enable fax)". In quotes because the fax phrase does not always show depending on the method used, yours or HP Developers. V. 3.21.8, supplied with Mate 20.3 OS, does not enable fax. As of now, I've tried 3.22.2, .4, and .6 and get hung up each time at the plugin. Note that our old pc, once I installed 3.22.4, runs all printer functions. I know how to install and uninstall apps via CLI and over multiple attempts tried removing previous installs, via Synaptic or CLI, or not. But a Terminal install won't go forward unless you enable the old uninstall.

The issue with the plugin download is an error message, "checksums do not match" so the plugin isn't installed unless forced. But forcing it doesn't gain anything re fax function. Attempts to verify checksums fail.

Question- do you use faxing from your pc?

(Re backups- I use Veeam instead of Timeshift, and yes, I ran a full-system b/u before this attempted install.)
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Just went back to our old computer, runs Mate 19.2, to confirm fax operation. Somehow the hplip pkg (3.22.4, downloaded and user-installed last April when released) appeared compromised. Reinstalled the same pkg, including plugin, without incident. These downloads were from the same sources as on our new machine. On this pc, the plugin was accepted and installed, but on our new pc, that plugin attempt returned an error message, "checksums do not match" and the plugin did not install. I suspect that error message is itself an error.

Fax setup on this (old) machine completed easily. "Send fax" function completed all steps on request,

The only different ingredient in this recipe is the newer Mate install. Could it be that the newer machine, running Mate 20.3, isn't compatible with that plugin? And, if that answer is yes, what are the chances of a correction?
gittiest personITW
Level 10
Level 10

Post by gittiest personITW »

Question- do you use faxing from your pc?
No I don't use fax.
My issue that was that the hplip enabled printing but not duplex.
Using the ppd file enabled me to get duplex profiles working. There were a couple of other options that were also greyed out when using the hplip plugin but that were enabled with the ppd.
I was hoping that it might help with your problem also.
The only thing i can think of doing in your position if the fax function is very important is to purge hplip completely and start with the version that worked for you previously.
Alternativeiy, Mint 19 is coming up to end of life in April23, so maybe it is time to consider to install 21.

I can't answer your other q's.
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

My testing reveals that 20.3 does not support installation of hplip plugin. Prior experience with 19.2 was that all printer functions were enabled using hplip 3.22.4 which I installed to replace the older version that ships with the distro. On the newer distro, the plugin function fails, rendering the multi-function printer unable to complete some operations, including faxing, which I do use. The hplip pkg that ships with 20.3 is actually worse than the 3.22.x pkgs I attempted to install. So, somewhere between these two Mint versions, support for hplip was downgraded.

BTW- be careful about going to Mint 21- there have been some substantial issues, including OOM (Out of memory).
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

This issue is now resolved. See this thread for outcome:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=385380

Return to “Printers & Scanners”