HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ramk

Re: HP come up trumps for Linux Printing

Post by ramk »

Pjotr wrote: if you happen on a solution please do post. Seems to me the only solution though is to change the damned printer or install an older Linux OS
[/quote]
See my previous message (right above yours, in this thread). That should solve your problem. :)[/quote]

Hi Pjotr

it doesn't solve my issue, i tried a few times . The issue remains the same the printer recognition is erratic, some times it is recognized and some times not. It shows up when i run lsusb , but when i try to find the device via printer setup it simply says no device found.

to add to this some times lsusb does not even register the device and infact lsusb hangs for a few minutes ?

ram
ramk

Post by ramk »

Hi

For anyone interested

just bought an HP Laserjet 1005 M .

This works without any issues in LM17.2 and I think it would work on other LM versions and other Linux Versions as well.

Ram
Matthew Paul

Post by Matthew Paul »

Not coming up trump here.

Wireless: I have used the name and password of the router. Cannot find. Tried the name and password on the ISP router. Cannot find.

Installation Wizard
You have selected Linux Mint 17.1 using the HP Officejet Pro 6830 E-all-in-one.

Linux Mint 17.1 supplies HPLIP 3.14.3 by default, which does not support your printer.

You must ensure latest HPLIP version (recommemded), or at least HPLIP 3.14.10 in order to use your printer with Linux Mint 17.1.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Matthew Paul wrote:Not coming up trump here.

Wireless: I have used the name and password of the router. Cannot find. Tried the name and password on the ISP router. Cannot find.

Installation Wizard
You have selected Linux Mint 17.1 using the HP Officejet Pro 6830 E-all-in-one.

Linux Mint 17.1 supplies HPLIP 3.14.3 by default, which does not support your printer.

You must ensure latest HPLIP version (recommemded), or at least HPLIP 3.14.10 in order to use your printer with Linux Mint 17.1.
You can download the latest HPLIP from here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Matthew Paul

Post by Matthew Paul »

You can download the latest HPLIP from here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
Pjotr :) Long time, no see. I hope you are well my friend. I think it's been a year using LM. I will never go back to Windows but I have to say, this printer situation is becoming a real PITA.

I got rid of the Dell All-in-One, saved up enough money and got a HP Officejet Pro 6830. I was all set to go and of course... the CD that comes with it is Windows. :roll: So I'm trying to find somewhere just to download the files. Which I have and keep getting this redish/orange screen saying it does not recognize the file.

I will give the link above a shot. As always, thanks for the tip.
Matthew Paul

Post by Matthew Paul »

Yep, same notice/error/graphic pops up. I added the options that popup if I press on the thumbnail for Automatically Detected.
HPLIP + Xtra.png
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Matthew Paul

Post by Matthew Paul »

SOLVED

That one did it, Pjotr!! :D Thank you, thank you, as always my friend.

Now the kid can start printing some things off the web. ...and myself as well.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You're welcome! Glad that it works. :)
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

Used the link to install an HP laserjet 6P in MInt v17.3 64bit on a LPT1 port but the LPT option is greyed out like it is not driver supported. After a lot of experimenting/installing at least the printer does start but up to now never finished the job properly and always leaves it for me to hard reboot it.
Think I have to wait for the next HPLIP v3.15.x or is HP triggering me to buy a new printer? But that won't be an HP anymore!
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

Since you have problems getting your parallel port to work, have you considered connecting your printer through a print server? The HP JetDirect Ex Plus print server is compatible with the LaserJet 6p and can be obtained from Ebay at reasonable prices.
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

Perhaps connecting the printer via a network printer server could work. Have done this for some time with a Sweex printer server in Windows but it not responding in Linux.
BUT HP laserprinter 6P problems started after I upgraded from Mint v13 32bit to Mint v17.3 64bit.
Also discovered that when I straight forward create a new user with only standard rights that user has no problem printing in contrary to me logging in with all administrator rights.
For instance: running as administrator HPLIP is not allowed to modify a lot of permissions on printer/port settings but the new standard user is allowed (not asked for nor error reporting) to do that after I give permission as a (super) administrator.

Beside the common user account rights between these two I remember now that there is another difference in setup: the guest is using NON-encrypted home folders where at installation from DVD I have chosen to encrypt my home folders when Mint v17.3 offered this option!!!

The question now becomes: is in some special cases this "all home encrypted folder setting" causing programs forbidding to interfere when they need free access into a home folder?
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Hello 900i et al ...

Not that anybody cares about LiveMedia system users, but I have been running for over 6 years (Mint 8 through Mint 15) on LOCKED LiveMedia systems (no hard drive) and using my trusty old HP-5000 LaserJet tabloid size workhorse (on a parallel port) with normally good success all the while. Right now I am stuck at Mint 15 on my main machine because when I run 17.2 I just get garbage from the printer, and a bunch of 'buffer overflow' or some such messages in display on the printer. I try to use 17.2 for the updated security of the OS, but it is a major annoyance that the print capability is totally crashed.

So, just beware of updates! Lots of things get fixed with each iteration, but there are ALWAYS things that get broken, with no way to fix them (in the ISO files).

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
jvaes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jvaes »

Don' t know how I got it fixed but the HP that was causing me nightmares is now working fine in MIntv17.3 like it should. I can see no difference in settings nor drivers but in the passed time I tried out many options. Perhaps some missing parts came together and fixed the issue of starting the HP but not ending properly :?: No matter, I hope for as long as I get no updates for printing, the HP will do its job.
ampers

Post by ampers »

Well, this is good enough for me, I am going for an HP printer. And, I'm in the market now.

Can anyone help with my requirements. I have a print area slider in my desk which will take a printer 50cm x 50cm by 25cm high.

I'm looking for an HP printer with no top loading of paper. I can pull out on the slider for scanning and copying though, no trouble.

Looking for one of their better models though. Buy cheap, buy twice :-)

Fax not necessary as I can use my computer.
Borderless photos good but not essential
Duplex printing is essential.

If anyone can help, printer probably cost between £60 and £120, and I'll donate a small sum to Linux Mint.
sikejsudjek

Post by sikejsudjek »

If its a HP printer install HPLIP from the software manager. Most of the time it 'just works' (unlike the hassle I had trying to get a HP printer installed on windows 7 recently... :D )
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I have used that link but installing hplip for my HP Laserjet 1018 has been a total nightmare. I used have a far better support for my Samsung M-1675. I have created a separate thread for my experience if you care to read it.
menzikert

Post by menzikert »

This is to confirm that my HP 8620 does not print under linux mint 4.4.53. It, however, prints OK under Windows 7 and 8.1.
menzikert

Post by menzikert »

I have updated hplip to 3.16.11 (Linux 18) but my HP 8620 still does not print under Linux Mint.
w7prb

Post by w7prb »

I just bought a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M277c6 at Costco. I am having trouble getting a driver for it that works with Mint 18.1 with AMD 64 processor. This model is not in the CUPS list of drivers. the hp-setup installer complains about not having "libtool" which is of course loaded when the OS was installed. I have read in my Internet search that it works with 17. I would rather not go back to 17. Does any one have a solution?

Walt

Return to “Printers & Scanners”