Has any ever used a print server????

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Simtech68

Has any ever used a print server????

Post by Simtech68 »

I have a NetGear PS121 print server connect to my router, my Linux machine is also connected directly. I can ping the server just fine. When I run the "add printer" and select "network" it ask for an address. What format address??? I put in the IP that doesn't work. Also what is the printer command in Linux???? It's lp**** something right??

BTW, the printer is a Canon MP610.

Any info would help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Has any ever used a print server????

Post by bigj231 »

You'll either have to input the IP address of the printer (including the port IIRC) or wait until the search finds it. I've always done the latter with my HP networked printers.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Has any ever used a print server????

Post by Mark Phelps »

When you say "connected directly" do you mean via USB cable, or via Network cable -- the two are quite different.

I used to use an older D-Link print server and to connect to it, I had to (1) set up a TCP/IP port using details from the server, and (2) install the printer software to point to that uniquely-named port.

The instructions were included with the D-Link print server.

IF yours doesn't have that, then go online and see what they provide at NetGear.

Oh, and "networked printer" is very different from "print server" -- as in the first, you're talking directly to the printer, and in the second, you're talking to the server, which then talks to the printer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”