"Filter Failed" due to permission problems?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sisyphos

"Filter Failed" due to permission problems?

Post by Sisyphos »

Hi,

It seems LM 16 64 Bit has problems printing due to permission problems. I'm able to print on LM 14 64 Bit fine. Now Cups displays an "Filter failed" error when I try to print with HP DeskJet 845c.

There are tons of different suggestions to solve "Filter Failed" errors. These attempts doesn't help:
- removing and reinstalling the printer
- adding my user to the groups lp and lpadmin
- removing the hplip package and install the package from hplipopensource (according to: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html)
- fixing permissions to the printer usb ports (according to: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... printer.29)

The only way I was able to print at least a test page was to install the printer using

Code: Select all

sudo hp-setup
and print the test page. But sudo printing is not a solution at all. I can not access to a printer with applications because the printer is not accessible. Anyway printing should work without sudo. But the positive test indicates the problem is caused to some permission problems. Does anyone maybe have some ideas how to fix this?

I would be glad for any help/ideas. I'm very frustrated, because I choose mint because its always seemed to me very convenient. But this problem reminds me to my first very hard time with Linux more then eight years ago.

Sisyphos

P.S. I will post this parallel on Ubuntu forums and I will post helpfull recommendations here too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: "Filter Failed" due to permission problems?

Post by Habitual »

add yourself to the lp group?
Sisyphos

Post by Sisyphos »

yes. I'm member of group lpadmin as well.
OzRattler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OzRattler »

Did you solve this one?

I had the same drama and found the solution in another thread and special thanks to "median" and "jcockx" who together got to a working solution.

Install the 32bit libraries.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Worked for me with the CP105b from Fuji Xerox. Don't forget to pair with 32bit drivers as well.
.....insanity is so confusing.....
bohica
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bohica »

Hi,
Hopefully a simple question... in your answer you say "don't forget to pair with 32-bit drivers" - how do I pair them?
thx

Return to “Printers & Scanners”