Before you post please read this
mayerflash
Level 1
Level 1

hp scanjet 2200c not really working with xsane

Post by mayerflash »

Hello,

I'm using Linux Mint 17 64bit.
SimpleScan is working like expected with my HP ScanJet 2200c.

I only have problems with Xsane (I'm using version 0.998).
Preview is fine and scanning with default resolution in color (150dpi or 300dpi) in a fixed size (A4) as well, but only when scanning a part of the page, then the results are weird.
300dpi: left half of the page has only a little bit too much red, but the right half of the page is simply too red.
600dpi: not recognizable what was scanned.

See attachement:
right side top: preview->ok
right side bottom: A4 150dpi->ok
middle bottom: A4 300dpi->ok
middle top: selection 300dpi-> Colors are screwed up
left side top: selection 600dpi-> not recognizable at all

Any hints how to fix it?

Regards

mayerflash
Attachments
Screenshot of different scan results
Screenshot of different scan results

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Re: hp scanjet 2200c not really working with xsane

Post by PatH57 »

Hi

xsane hasn't be maintained since end of 2010 so it will be hard to get any help.
Also check if sane is the latest version.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grumpus »

I'm using an HP 3400C and most of the problems I ran into had to do with the HP software and ICC color profile .
Open Xsane and find the Preferences/enable color management, see if it is checked, un-check it and see what that does, if unchecked check it but be warned it might not help at all, if there's a warning or failure after checking enable color management, disable it.
Also there are some conflicts between new HP software packages for the dual process HP printer/scanner combination machines and xsane.
The newer hp-software packages places the dual purpose software in the configuration files and it makes the scanner not work or invisible since the drivers for older scanners (flatbeds) do not exist in the package. This was noted last year the newer HP software wasn't going to support older scanners.
Hopefully you won't have to do this but I wound up removing everything to do with Sane and Xsane and all the HP software packages.
I then re-installed, from the repositories, all the foomatic printer software packages (not the compressed package), ijsgutenprint and gutenprint packages, openprinting-ppds, the older hp-ppd 0.9 and only installed Xsane and xsane common, libsane, libsane-common (a dependency of Xsane).
This and disabling the color management feature has the scanner working better than ever with an even higher resolution than the original 600 x 600 dpi.
You may have to install libsane-extras and libsane-extras-common for the drivers for your scanner but if Xsane sees it without these maybe not.
Good luck.
Uhhh, maybe this will work?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

over kill of functions and HP decided some where a long the road to drop old stuff, I guess you can get back to the old tape drive since cds and dvds have replaced it... still love the 8 track http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape stereo ....

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grumpus »

PatH57 wrote:over kill of functions and HP decided some where a long the road to drop old stuff, I guess you can get back to the old tape drive since cds and dvds have replaced it... still love the 8 track http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape stereo ....
How does this help?

PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Post by PatH57 »

among the drivers available win95, so in computer years, it's dinosaurus scanner probably still works but for $20 you get a new one, no? and a lot more functionality

nomko

Post by nomko »

PatH57 wrote:among the drivers available win95, so in computer years, it's dinosaurus scanner probably still works but for $20 you get a new one, no? and a lot more functionality
Question remains, how is your input going to help the topic starter? The only thing you do is ranting, stop with that and stay away from this topic if you can't be of any assistance! Please take this advise of me PatH57!

Even though that scanner is old, as long as it function properly there's no problem in using this device. Xsane last update is dated 16 nov 2010, pretty outdated if you ask me. I think mayerflash should try the solution of grumpus first.

But i do have a question for mayerflash:
Why would you use Xsane when SimpleScan works perfect? Under the hood they use the same technology...

grumpus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grumpus »

My own reason is functionality compared to Simple Scan plus a degree of loyalty to a package that has always seemed to work, regardless of distribution.
There's more control and options plus integration with other packages which Simple Scan does not have.
I've been using Xsane since 2005 in Ubuntu and in Linux Mint for the past couple of years.
AThis is on a complete Linux system, dual booting Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint 16 and 14, devoid of Windows.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”