Canon wastes ink, can I tweak driver, or time for new ptr?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
expat_tony
Level 4
Level 4

Canon wastes ink, can I tweak driver, or time for new ptr?

Post by expat_tony »

I've had a Canon Pixma iP4850 for a few years now, which I like for its software capabilities, but I think it needs optimising for Linux, now that I've practically stopped using Windows.
I know of two appropriate drivers installed on my machine. One is the generic inkjet driver and the other is cnijfilter-ip4800series-3.40-1-deb, that I downloaded from Canon Asia.
At the moment I believe the latter is my default driver. Is there a way e.g. in the terminal, for me to confirm this?

Anyway, practically every time I switch on my printer I can hear the heads being re-inked. I certainly don't over-use this machine, but every few weeks I seem to need to buy more ink cartridges.
Below are two snapshots from my File > Print > Device settings, just to show the level of driver customisation that's possible. At the moment most things are set to 'Default' 'None' or '0000'. If anyone has experience and/or documentation about customising this kind of menu - even if not on a Canon printer - I'd be grateful to hear from you.
Device settings1.png
Device settings 2.png
Otherwise I might have to replace the printer. In which case, who knows which machines currently available in Europe are easy on the ink budget and definitely work with Mint 17? I don't need multi-function, just a straightforward printer.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Canon wastes ink, can I tweak driver, or time for new pt

Post by kyphi »

When you use your printer set to "colour" all the ink cartridges are used even if you want to print text only. Try "greyscale" setting.

From a personal perspective I would never buy a Canon printer - Canon provided no support for far too long and has left support far too late - also, a very good Canon scanner I had was left totally unsupported in Linux and eventually had to be discarded.

Hewlett Packard multifunction devices work out of the box and the very latest models, if the hplip driver does not match the product, will have a driver available from the HPLIP site including detailed instructions to install this driver.

Currently this is an Epson multifunction device household. Epson also makes drivers readily available and these are in .deb format.

I am not aware that you can buy printer only, everything is multifunction.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon - 64bit

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

alter settings on ip4800 series Canon printer

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi expat Tony;

as part of the Canon linux driver they supply a utility called cngpij

if you paste this into a terminal
cngpij -P IP4800

............it should open a utility that should allow you to change various settings. If you wish, you can set up a launcher .............to launch this utility .................each time you wish to use it.

if you click on this link http://localhost:631/printers/ it opens CUPS (the printer admin system on your computer);

if you look in the left-hand column, it lists the printer names that will appear when you opt to print;

in the most right column, are the drivers ................... so if it says Canon in the right-hand column, that will be the specific Canon linux driver (in debian format);

perhaps you write down which is which, to help you remember ..............
Attachments
cngpij_4800.png

Return to “Printers & Scanners”