Cant use installed printer: old thread new problem(SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Cant use installed printer: old thread new problem(SOLVED)

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Hi, this is driving me crazy.
Ive got a HP Laserjet PRO MFP m125nw printer. Ive intalled it and it is shown in system settings. Ive installed the driver. It seems everything should work right but it just wont print. I installed this http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html but it wont run. In the terminal it says
warning: There are 10 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libusb (libusb - USB library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libtool (libtool - Library building support services)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-image (CUPS image - CUPS image development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: cups-devel (CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: dbus (DBus - Message bus system)
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: sane-devel (SANE - Scanning library development files)
INSTALL MISSING OPTIONAL DEPENDENCIES
-------------------------------------
warning: There are 2 missing OPTIONAL dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'base': cups-ddk (CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit)
warning: Missing OPTIONAL dependency for option 'scan': xsane (xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE)
A package manager '/usr/bin/perl -w' appears to be running. Please quit the package manager and press enter to continue (i=ignore, r=retry*, f=force, q=quit) :r
A package manager '/usr/bin/perl -w' appears to be running. Please quit the package manager and press enter to continue (i=ignore, r=retry*, f=force, q=quit) :r
A package manager '/usr/bin/perl -w' appears to be running. Please quit the package manager and press enter to continue (i=ignore, r=retry*, f=force, q=quit) :i
warning: Ignoring running package manager. Some package operations may fail.

What does this mean? How do I fix this? I couldnt install this printer neither on my dad's ubuntu laptop. I had to take it to the computer shop to install it. Now Id like to change my dad's OS to Mint but i cant because if i do, we will not have a printer. Is there a way I can fix this problem myself or do i really need to take the computer to the shop again?
I tried automatic driver installation. I tried using localhost: 631 already (now it wont even connect to that site it says "connection failed")

I have Asus X550C LM 17.1 kernel 3.13.0-37

Thank you and Happy Easter! :)
Last edited by cinnamoncoffee on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cant use installed printer

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear that this is driving you crazy; sadly, your computer can't talk to you and can only send you written messages; ..........sometimes I don't get it either but my reading of what it is trying to tell you is

warning: There are 10 missing REQUIRED dependencies.

.............so my take on that is that it is ..................warning you; ..............................that you are missing ................. ten things ..................that are required for it to do ..............what you want it to do .....

all a bit strange as one would think that those packages are already installed; why would they be missing .................

you could try the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libusb libtool cups-image etc etc 
.................you can see what I have done is copy and paste in the names of the 1st three things that your system lists are missing .......... you need to copy and paste in the remaining ones; including what your system calls optional dependencies ........and then try the hp command again ............ it's sort of like a platoon going into battle; if half the guys are drinking in a bar downtown; and some of the others are sleeping in the barracks; you don't do so go; so marshall your forces and then run the command again .........
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

is there some specific reason that you do not want to use the hplip driver found in the repositories. Which are supposed to work with your printer?

I would do this in a terminal

sudo apt-get purge hplip
sudo apt-get install hplip 
then type

hp-setup
set up your printer and see if it works.
Happy Easter :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Wow kc1di this works!!! Ive spent soooo much time on the internet trying to find the solution, tried many complicated things and this simple solution works :)
Thank you :)
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Wow kc1di this works!!! Ive spent soooo much time on the internet trying to find the solution, tried many complicated things and this simple solution works :)
Thank you :)
Your Welcome Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cant use installed printer: old thread new problem please see the end

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Hi after a long time! I've got exact same problem again but when I use the solution that worked last time it doesn't work anymore!
What I get is this:
~ $ hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.3)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: HPLIP is not installed properly or is installed without graphical support. Please reinstall HPLIP
warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

what should I do now? I already reinstalled hplip several times
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Here is what I would try first go to a terminal and do the following one at a time.

sudo apt-get purge hplip
sudo apt-get update
then run hp-setup again.
see if that works if now we will go from there.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

hello thank you for replying to me again!
It still says:
error: HPLIP is not installed properly or is installed without graphical support. Please reinstall HPLIP
warning: Qt/PyQt 4 initialization failed.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Is hplip-gui installed? if not install it using synaptic or terminal.
if it is try uninstalling and reinstalling it.
then run HPLIP-Toolbox from the menu , what happens?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

maybe the required HP plug-in is needed ..

Post by pdc_2 »

HP provide a site on hplip; there is a list of what they call "supported printers" and for the MFP m125nw if one checks there, it says it needs 3.14.3 or more of hplip;

and that a PLUG-IN is REQUIRED; ......... it expands that to say
8 ("Required") A downloadable driver plug-in is required for printing support.
For this device, they say it needs this for both printing and scanning support.

the command to install it seems to be

hp-plugin
........... one might need to tie a luggage label onto the usb cable of the device; to remind one that if one installs a new version of the OS, that a new download of the plug-in may be needed.

instructions are at the bottom of this page https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Great, thank you guys! I've managed to install it using plugin on the page. :D
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP plug-in (SOLVED)

Post by pdc_2 »

well done! Enjoy! ..... (and don't forget to put that big label on the usb cable saying ...... plug-in!)
tonymynd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tonymynd »

kc1di wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:08 pm is there some specific reason that you do not want to use the hplip driver found in the repositories. Which are supposed to work with your printer?

I would do this in a terminal

sudo apt-get purge hplip
then type

hp-setup
set up your printer and see if it works.
Happy Easter :)
Thank you so much, it worked in my Peppermint distro, I have an HP DeskJet 1018. Is amazing grace, that people like you share the love of God through the power of the internet.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”