Mint reporting print job complete, but no print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trying Again

Mint reporting print job complete, but no print

Post by Trying Again »

What the heck? A computer os that lies. Next you know it'll feel entitled to something...

At any rate, I am not able to print via USB to my Brother printer. Similar problems on other threads but starting a new one as there doesn't seem to be a solution that works. The printer was found by Rosa and the suggested driver installed. I printed a test page and assumed it worked but never checked. The printer is in the basement below the office pc, and worked fine with this setup using Windows XP Pro so there's no issue with USB cable length etc. Rosa reports she sends data to the printer, but the printer never wakes up and actually prints anything.

Any suggestions besides opening Terminal and reprogramming a space shuttle launch?
(sorry - i'm a little frustrated - printers SUCK)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kmassner
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint reporting print job complete, but no print

Post by kmassner »

While not exactly the same circumstances, I had the same issue with a network printer. Seems the set-up through the admin tools didn't configure it quite right. After much frustration, I found this link, and all of my problems were solved.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/194

Best of luck.
Trying Again

Post by Trying Again »

Thanks for the information. Still no luck. I tried the CUPS and it even confirmed the changes I was making but I still can't get the machine to print anything. I'd even love to see a page with an F and a U on it - but nothing. Now I'm not even able to connect to the printer using CUPS, saying it's Unable To Connect. I can't add a printer, can't go to Administration, nothing. I've removed and reinstalled the printer but still nothing.
Maybe the printer is too old? I just can't believe trying to do something as important yet basic as adding a printer is so impossible.
Trying Again

Post by Trying Again »

yeah. didn't think this would get solved. off to buy a new printer i suppose.
Trying Again

Post by Trying Again »

Update: Went downstairs for something else and noticed the printer sitting there with all of the jobs (mint test pages mostly) finally printed. Now it works, now it doesn't, now it does lol.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

In my case if there is something wrong when I try to print, the print jobs stay in the Q until I turn my computer off and on again, so this may explain all your test pages printing out unexpectedly at a later time. Fortunately I can see my printer so I get feedback immediately when it does not print.

I found the Printer applet useful to check for status issues.Type "Printers" into the search menu, start the app, and then open the "Print Queue", from the menu.

Printer->View Print Queue

You will see any pending prints, and why it did not print.

I think the problem is that you are getting no feedback. Once you understand the issue, you may be able to adjust printer options. Or just keep checking the print queue.

Garvan
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
Trying Again

Post by Trying Again »

Thank you. I'll try messing with the printer options. I think what's more annoying to me isn't a lack of feedback, it's the incorrect feedback. The OS assumes no feedback means everything is A-OK.

Similar to an engineer I used to work with. After repairs to a device I would ask him, "did you test it fully to make sure it works properly?"
To which he replied, "It should work." Translated: He just made the repair and never tested it at all, assuming it worked. I wonder if he is a Linux developer now lol...
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

I have exactly the same problem. I even have the installation disk for the brother printer MFC 6490 CW. This is a good printer, I downloaded the driver for linux from the brother website. The system thinks it is printing, but no it is not. The link in your post _kmassner____ was nice, but I still get the same result.
So it begins to sound like the only solution is a different operating system or a different printer.
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

SOLVED!!!

$ chmod +x linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1
$ sudo ./linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1

folks in hex chat gave me this, and it freaking works!
If your printer is not in network, then answer N (o) to " destination device URI "

also I was given this : http://imgur.com/a/KQUNz
I printed out a test print, and I printed a document

Could not print from Wine notepad document
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

SimonL and graves in hexchat helped me with this :D
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

Well I had to reinstall mint on a new disk, and now the above instructions are not working. So I am stuck again , I don't know what to do. I have a cable usb connection to my prtinter.
Brother MFC 6490CW Mint Cinnamon 18.1 I have downloaded the files and extracted it, but I just can't get it to print.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Brother MFC-6490CW Mint 18.1

Post by pdc_2 »

so Brian you have a 64bit install and linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz in your Downloads folder? and the first command is usually
gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1.gz
then the command that usually works is
sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC- 6490CW
and you did that? and you have an icon for the MFC-6490CW in your PRINTERS folder that is in the Adminstration folder? if you right-click on that icon; (if it is there); and select properties, what driver does it say is installed please?

I see the driver for your printer first came out in 2009; so a 32bit driver; I see Brother recommend installing lib32stdc++ for 64bit installs;

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... ect=on#004 (ia32-libs is no longer around I understand);

so one could issue the command
sudo apt-get install lib32stdc++
_________--

I could only suggest

1) deleting any icon in your Printers folder for Brother
2) running the command I suggest above to install lib32stdc++
3) run the top two commands (if linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 is already in your Downloads folder, then you just need
cd Downloads
and the second command

I apologise if I have gone over old ground that you have already covered; however it sometimes pays to just check we are all talking the same stuff

best wishes
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Mint reporting print job complete, but no print

Post by Brian h65 »

Halla m- Freaking LuLu! IT Freaking WORKED!
I had the driver downloaded, and extracted, which I did from menu> admin> printers.
That was already done. Then your instruction about the 2nd command line, suddenly set he whole ball in motion
Test print is good.
Answer n to " device URI" question, if your printer is not on a network.
Thanks a million

~ $ cd Downloads

brian@brian-GG038AA-ABA-a6109n ~/Downloads $ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1MFC-6490CW
bash: linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1MFC-6490CW: No such file or directory
brian@brian-GG038AA-ABA-a6109n ~/Downloads $ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-6490CW
You are going to install following packages.
mfc6490cwlpr-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
mfc6490cwcupswrapper-1.1.2-2.i386.deb
brscan3-0.2.13-1.amd64.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
OK? [y/N] ->y
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

SOLVED: Brother MFC-6490CW works well in Mint 18.1

Post by pdc_2 »

well done Brian; glad it all worked out well; enjoy
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hhead »

Really a point of information that may help some people. Using HP envy 5540 series. For some reason the printer sets up both a series and and individual printer with this number. If you use the series printer nothing happens and the excellent HPlip and the printer queue say its not connected? If I select the individual printer it prints fine. If nothing happens it might be worth checking this...
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi there hhead;

you have some useful information there; thanks for that; it would have been good as a separate post as this thread is more about Brother printers; it is always worth a separate post; and a new title: then google can find it;

_________

back to your HP

if you right-click on the icons for each of the two printer setups that have been created for your HP: select PROPERTIES and see what the driver is: I wonder if one has an hp and the other something like foomatic: I say that because with our Canon, Mint jumps in and uses opensource gutenprint and the printer is called Canon3100 series and when I seperately install the Canon driver, it is called Canon3100USB: one can see this from properties
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

Well I have lost printing ability again. same old problem and nothing seems to work.
Below is a screen shot of the printer property page.
I deleted the printer I had , reinstalled the driver and extracted it just like before, but the command lib32stdc++ that worked before get me only what is in the 2nd attachment, basically, saying I have broken packages .
HP pavillion a6109n desktop pc running linux mint cinnamon 18.1 brother mfc-6490cw printer
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hhead »

Your right but even more puzzling is that it seems a bit confused about which printer it is. The series thinks its my mums printer a canon, the canon thinks its a canon too (the same one) anyway everything works at the moment...

you have some useful information there; thanks for that; it would have been good as a separate post as this thread is more about Brother printers; it is always worth a separate post; and a new title: then google can find it;

_________

back to your HP

if you right-click on the icons for each of the two printer setups that have been created for your HP: select PROPERTIES and see what the driver is: I wonder if one has an hp and the other something like foomatic: I say that because with our Canon, Mint jumps in and uses opensource gutenprint and the printer is called Canon3100 series and when I seperately install the Canon driver, it is called Canon3100USB: one can see this from properties[/quote]
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

Ok sometime earlier this year, my printer stopped working again.
here is how I got it working again. I apologize this is a little bit of a mess at the top, you just need a clean entry in terminal to do this. Again, printer was installed but not printing, now it is printing. I hope I can keep it that way.

clean up any broken packages in synaptic: open synaptic. edit. fix broken packages . reload

Download installed from brother website http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625

extract the file
run this command : ~/Downloads $ sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.1.1-1 MFC-6490CW

answer yes to "OK?"
no to " device URI?"
and yes to "test print"
and you should be on your way.
Brian
Brian h65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brian h65 »

I can't believe it but I am stuck again without a printer. I had to open a new linux, this time 18.2, I got locked out of my 18.1
So brother printer, wont print.
I downloaded the driver, and got this message:

brian-GG038AA-ABA-a6109n Downloads # gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gzgzip: linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz: No such file or directory
brian-GG038AA-ABA-a6109n Downloads #

this is what I get when I tried lib32 install:

http://dpaste.com/0CXY651

basically, it does not work

Return to “Printers & Scanners”