directions for scanning with Brother DCP-L2540DW

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

directions for scanning with Brother DCP-L2540DW

Post by wpshooter »

Can anyone give me the correct DETAILED instructions for being able to SCAN (printing & coping work fine) with my Brother model DCP-L2540DW multifunction printer ?

I have followed the instructions as given on the Brother support site and also the alternate instructions as given at

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

and neither have allowed me to the ability to SCAN to my Linux Mint computer. Both methods seem to install to completion but afterwards I can find NO WAY to get the computer to communicate with the printer/scanner via either simple scan nor xsane. I see no other scanning applications that are installed by the 2 different methods.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
LeCat

Re: directions for scanning with Brother DCP-L2540DW

Post by LeCat »

I had the same problem with my Brother DCP-J315W,I could print but not scan. After some digging around I found this solution works…

Install the drivers
then edit the file /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules by adding the following about halfway down the list
# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes" save and close the file

Open a terminal and enter

sudo brsaneconfig3 -a name=DCPJ315W model=DCP-J315W ip=000.000.0.000

Obviously you would have to enter your own model and I.P address of your printer
close the terminal
open Simple scan and try a scan
This worked for me and I’ve had no problems since.

I'm at the limit of my knowledge here so if does not work for you then I’m sorry I cant help you

Good luck………….
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

LeCat:

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me if after doing all of this, what application in Linux is used to initial the scanning process ?

Do these installation processes install an application other than simple scan or xsane to perform the scanning ? Sorry, I see you used simple scan.

Thanks.

P.S. - How do you obtain the IP address of the printer ?
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
LeCat

Post by LeCat »

Hi

If you go to menu-printers and click printers-properties from the menu then next to Device URI will be socket://000.000.0.00:9100
the underlined numbers should be your printers IP…...
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

LeCat:

May I ask if your model Brother printer had the automatic document feeder (multi-page) feature and when after you finished with the software installation(s), did it give you the capability to scan from the feeder ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Adding these lines to rule file:

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

made the scanning function work fine when added on my 64 bit Linux Mint 17 (relatively new) laptop computer BUT when I added those same lines on my 32 bit (and much older) desktop computer the scanning function still would NOT work (message - no scanning device found).

Is it not working on the desktop computer because it may have an older USB hardware / version ?

Laptop is probably 3 or 4 years old and desktop is one that I built about 10 years ago.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition

Return to “Printers & Scanners”