Missing printer driver message

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Missing printer driver message

Post by Schultz »

Every time I turn on my printer (HP Officejet 6600) I get this message. I've clicked "Search" twice now but it doesn't seem to do anything, and I still keep getting this message. How do I stop this message from reappearing?
Untitled.jpg

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Missing printer driver message

Post by Pjotr »

Does the printer work?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Have you tried to install the latest printer driver of HP? My experience is, that installing the latest driver solves a lot of issues.
The correct link to fetch the latest HPLIP driver: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Pjotr wrote:
Does the printer work?
Yes it does. The pop-up I'm getting just concerns the Fax part of the printer (I suppose).
linuxfreak wrote:
Have you tried to install the latest printer driver of HP? My experience is, that installing the latest driver solves a lot of issues.
Thanks for the info & link. Will check it out later when I have more time.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

linuxfreak wrote:
The correct link to fetch the latest HPLIP driver: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/in ... index.html
I just now noticed that this link is not an official hp site. Is this site safe?

What's weird is the previous times I installed Mint on my computer I did not have this pop-up message. I searched through the start menu but didn't find anything to configure a fax, which is what the pop-up message is about.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Schultz wrote:
linuxfreak wrote:
I just now noticed that this link is not an official hp site. Is this site safe?
It's from HP alright.... It's safe. :)

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Schultz wrote:[

What's weird is the previous times I installed Mint on my computer I did not have this pop-up message. I searched through the start menu but didn't find anything to configure a fax, which is what the pop-up message is about.
Quote:
HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging & Printing) is an HP-developed solution for printing, scanning, and faxing with HP inkjet and laser based printers in Linux.

During installation it will remove older drivers. You should use the printer menu to modify/change printer settings.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

So I installed the current driver for my printer, following the instructions on the website. Since it gave a terminal command assuming I saved the hplip-3.16.3.run file on my desktop, I moved that file to the desktop so I could follow the instructions verbatim. Now I have a folder (51 megs) named hplip-3.16.3 on my desktop. I don't want it there. :? If I move it (where can/should I move it?) will it break anything?

The new driver seems to have stopped the pop-up from appearing. Tested it once and so far so good. Now if I can just move that folder off the desktop.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

It should be safe to delete that folder...

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

Pjotr wrote:
It should be safe to delete that folder
Okay, I'll delete it, but keep it in the trash can until I need to print something so I can be sure.

Thanks Pjotr & linuxfreak for your assistance.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

This is a big disappointment. I'm still getting the pop-up, and it won't print without that folder on the desktop. How to fix this? Mostly the folder on the desktop; I don't mind so much the pop-up (well, not much at least).

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

if it won't print without that folder being on the desktop,
then restore it from the trash & see if you can work out,
just what part of the program(s) in that folder, that the printer is using.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

linuxfreak

Post by linuxfreak »

Pierre wrote:if it won't print without that folder being on the desktop,
then restore it from the trash & see if you can work out,
just what part of the program(s) in that folder, that the printer is using.
Don't think it has to do with that folder. That folder was created while unzipping the downloaded .run file during the installation. This folder contains all the files needed for the installation. Basically, the downloaded .run file behaves like an executable tarball. You download the file, make it executable, you run it in a terminal (not as root!!!) and it unzippes itself to that folder from which the fully installation will take place. Afterwards it can be thrown away. The problem with that pop-up message already existed before downloading that file and unzipping it to the desktop.

@ Schultz
Is this the Officejet you have?

It is supported by the HPLIP opensource driver, check here.
However, fax support under Linux is limited by the choice of Linux distribution:
5 Fax supported means that PC initiated fax send is supported using hp-sendfax, once an appropriate CUPS fax queue is set up. Fax support varies on Linux distributions, based on the availability of python-dbus version 0.80 or greater (versions before 0.80 will not work with HPLIP). Click on the model name of each printer to get more detailed information.
Also fax support is available under Linux Mint 17/17.1/17.2/17.3, but limited to what's been written under note 5 (quote above).

Also, there's no reason to follow this instruction since the installation file will do all of this for you. I always choose for custom setup and not for automatic setup just to control what's going on what's happening during the installation.

I think, after viewing that message again, your printer cannot find a FAX driver. It cannot find the hp-sendfax item on your system which is required to even send faxes. I just installed the latest HPLIP opensource driver and noticed afterwards that the hp-sendfax part is not installed. This might be your problem as well.

i think these 2 pages can be helpful to you:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/te ... ndfax.html
http://hplipopensource.com/node/180

Return to “Printers & Scanners”