Xerox Tektronix Phaser 560 support

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JustinBailey

Xerox Tektronix Phaser 560 support

Post by JustinBailey »

Hello everyone. I have been a happy Windows user as of last year. However, Win10 has driven me to Linux. I'm attempting to complete this conversion, which has been mostly seamless thanks to greatly improved Linux support.

One of the problems I've had is I have a Xerox Phaser 560 color laser printer. This think has been a tank for me for over a decade. I've rebuilt it twice, and recently even installed a new imaging unit, toner cartridges, fuser unit, etc. All for just a few dollars off of ebay. There's nothing wrong with the hardware at all, not one streak on a printout, not one page jam. It's a little slow, but I don't care at 1200 dpi, magazine quality prints, and toner cartridges that last *years* before needing replacement with home use.

After installing Mint 17.3, 64bit, KDE desktop (Dell Inspiron E1505, 4gb ram, 120gb SSD), I found there's no support for the printer. (using the ethernet card / port on the printer, via my lan) Mint will auto-detect the printer, quite fast, without me having to give it even the IP address. However, Mint will then refuse to correctly identify the printer, and tell me I'll have to pick the driver from the lengthy list. I have tried several on the list, none of which will work.

The fail is specifically when I try to print, the OS says it's printing, and then waiting on the printer. On the printer, it's just sitting there and right i]on it',s LCD display, nothing but waiting for the next print job. I can see some network activity on my switch from my computer to the printer when I initially print, just a packet or two / few, and then nothing. Normally under Windows, with it being a 10bm card in the printer and that card feeds an internal parallel port, so it's basically a parallel printer via ethernet, it can take a minute or two for the print job to load, and I see that activity the whole time til the print job is loaded on the printer. When it's working that is.

I also used Ubuntu for a brief period of time. It did work with this printer just fine. It auto-detected it as a Phaser 330, and never had a single issue, other than it refused to let me print in B&W only, printing faster, forcing slower color prints. I didn't mind that, since I only print out a couple of things a week. I switched from Ubuntu because of other compatibility problems with Ubuntu.

Anyone out there who can help me with this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JustinBailey

Re: Xerox Tektronix Phaser 560 support

Post by JustinBailey »

Haha, nevermind. Just talked with a friend in IRC. Suggested I set the printer to a generic Postscript printer, works like a charm now.

-Bailey

Return to “Printers & Scanners”