how to print double-sided on HP Deskjet F4180

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

how to print double-sided on HP Deskjet F4180

Post by bad medicine »

When I go to the print menu all I see under Page Setup is a dropdown menu to select "long edge" "short edge" or "one-sided". There is no box to check for "print double-sided" and It doesn't matter which of the dropdown options I select, it only prints one-sided.

I'd like to print double-sided but can't figure out how. It works fine from that other OS. When I try to attach a screenshot of the print menu I get a yellow triangle with "!" and it doesn't show up.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to print double-sided on HP Deskjet F4180

Post by Radish »

Hi,

You don't say if your printer is an automatic duplex (automatic double-sided printing) printer or a simplex printer (must do double-sided printing by manually re-feeding sheets that already have the first side printed). I looked on the net for the information but duplex isn't mentioned anywhere - so I assume the printer is simplex. If it is simplex then when wanting to do duplex (double-sided) printing you would need to first print one side then re-feed the paper (in the correct order and orientation) to then print the second side of a sheet. What the correct order is and the orientation you would only find out by trial and error unless there are instructions in the printer manual.

However, for easily managing switching between duplex and simplex printing (irrespective or whether your printer is automatic duplex or not) I would very strongly recommend you install Boomaga and manage all your printing jobs from within that. If using Boomaga you can decide (once Boomaga is set-up properly) if you want single-sided or double-sided printing from within the Boomaga GUI. It has a great option for easily printing out booklets too. And however you are printing out you can preview the print job before you send it to the printer - very useful function.

To install Boomaga follow the instructions given here under the title How to Install Boomaga in LinuxMint or Ubuntu

Once you have it installed then follow the instructions here under the title Things To Do After Installing Boomaga There are instructions there that explain what "long-edge" and "short-edge" binding mean.

P.S. If your printer is automatic duplex then maybe you're trying to make settings for getting a duplex print job done in the wrong place. The instructions I point to above Things To Do After Installing Boomaga might help in this matter even if you don't install Boomaga. They might help you to make the setting for Duplex printing in the right place. But as a rough idea:

"long edge" (binding) is a duplex (i.e. double-sided) printing option such that when the print is done it would be done in portrait mode. So, once the printout is done, you can flip the paper at the long edge and the print on the other side would be in the correct orientation for reading in portrait mode (after the flip is done).

"short edge" (binding) is a duplex printing option such that when the print is done it would be done in landscape mode. So, once the printout is done, you can flip the paper at the short edge and the print on the other side would be in the correct orientation for reading in landscape mode (after the flip is done).
Mint 17.3 x64 Cinnamon - Rosa
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Yes it is a simplex printer. I'm used to having to turn the pages around and send them back into the printer when doing double-sided printing in Windows, but that doesn't work when all the pages come out printed at once on one side.

When I originally tried I was in document reader, which didn't even give me an option to check for 2-sided, it only game me the long/short/singlesided options which all came out single sided. I noticed Writer does give me a "duplex" option, but it still comes out single sided.

Is Boomaga in the official repository? It doesn't look like it. Should it be?
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

Boomaga is not in the official repository. You need to use a PPA - the instructions on how to setup the PPA are included in the document I posted the link to: How to Install Boomaga in LinuxMint or Ubuntu

Remember to do the things in the second set of instructions as well: Things To Do After Installing Boomaga
When stating what version of Mint you are using remember to include the "Edition". Is it "Cinnamon", "Mate", "KDE" or "XFCE"? This helps others help you.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

OK, but, being a newbee and having read I should be wary of PPA I have so far avoided using any at all. I have been led to believe by my partial ignorance that could be risky
Radish
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Radish »

I'm a bit of a newbie myself. Nonetheless I've installed Boomaga via a PPA and nothing at all untoward has happened to my system. Your choice really. You could always try and see if helps to solve your problem. If it doesn't then just uninstall Boomaga via the Software Manager and then Remove the PPA from your system via Software Sources.

As to PPA's being dodgy, then maybe some are so caution would be advised. But I've been using Boomaga for ages and nothing is wrong with it - it isn't malicious in any way.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”