[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Post by rgand »

My system is Cinnamon 17.3 with all updates done. My scanner is an Epson Perfection V39. Mint won't recognize the scanner or send power to it via the USB port. With the same computer booted to Windows 7, the scanner works when enabled so I know the scanner is good and the computer it capable of running it. I have Xsane and Simple Scan installed but I can't find my scanner at all much less make it function. When I start Xsane, it searches for scanners then says there aren't any detected. I also don't find anything in Mint on adding a scanner.

Any ideas on how to make this work?

Thanks RG

EDIT 1/22/21: For the latest information on this see post #23 below.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Post by phd21 »

Hi "rgand",

Perhaps this link below will help ...

Epson - Image Scan! for Linux
Click the button for the easy to install ".deb" file, 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your computer's processor. Just save the file somewhere and double click it to install it, if it does not install automatically. Reboot, then try it.
http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.0

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks phd21. That looks to be what I need. I downloaded it but can't get it to install yet. I've tried to follow the instructions provided by Epson but they don't seem to get me anywhere. Obviously I don't know enough about this OS yet to do this. I'll tackle it tomorrow when I'm a little rested. After I figure it out, I'll post back here.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

With a clear head I approached this again but it is still a foreign language to me. I tried to install it by double-clicking on the downloaded file and got this, which didn't seem to have an install function available.
Screenshot2-042616.png
I also right-clicked the file but my only functional choices seemed to be 'open; and 'extract' I did extract it but couldn't figure out what to do from there. I did try both commands in 6.1.1 below but just got this:

rg@rg-G75VW ~ $ ./install.sh
bash: ./install.sh: No such file or directory
rg@rg-G75VW ~ $

Here's what Epson says about installing it:

6.1. Installing the software

Please install in one of the following ways the downloaded package.

6.1.1. Auto Installation in script

Please run the script (install.sh) included in the downloaded package from terminal.
# ./install.sh

If you cannot install correctly by specifying install script, please refer “README” included in the script.
Also, you can confirm the brief description by specifying the command as below.
# ./install.sh --help

6.1.2. Installation in command

If you installed in command, you must install multiple packages.
Open Terminal, then install the packages in the described order then from the command line.
Note: The following commands needs to be performed as a root privilege.

[RPM]

Installing data package
# rpm --upgrade iscan-data-$ver-$rel.noarch.rpm
Installing core package
# rpm --upgrade iscan-$ver-$rel.$arch.rpm
Installing plug-in package (if provided)
# rpm --upgrade iscan-plugin-$scanner-$ver-$rel.$arch.rpm
 or
# rpm --upgrade esci-interpreter-$scanner-$ver-$rel.$arch.rpm
Installing image processing plug-in package(optional)
# rpm --upgrade iscan-plugin-esdip-$version-$release.rpm

[DEB]

Installing data package
# dpkg --install iscan-data_$ver-$rel_all.deb
Installing core package
# dpkg --install iscan_$ver-$rel_$arch.deb
# dpkg --install iscan-plugin-$scanner_$ver-$rel_$arch.deb
 or
# dpkg --install esci-interpreter-$scanner_$ver-$rel_$arch.deb
# dpkg --install iscan-plugin-esdip-$version-$release.deb

Abbreviations used for package representations mean as follows:
$ver : package version
$rel : package release number
$arch : package architecture

6.1.3. Installation the package manager

You can install the package of this driver software by using package manager.
Note: The following description may be different on your environment.

Double-click the Image Scan! for Linux binary package icon to install it.
If you can find install option by right clicking on the package icon that you have downloaed(.dev / .rpm), you can specify it.

Please run the package installation in the following order.

data package
core package
plug-in package (if provided)
image processing plug-in package(optional)

6.1.4. Notes for installation

If the message “error: failed dependencies” appears during installation of Image Scan! for Linux, quit the installation.
Install the necessary packages listed in the message, and then install Image Scan! for Linux again.

When using the scanner on the network, Image Scan! for Linux must be installed on both the server connected to a scanner and client computers.
Ref:「7. Configuring SANE Network」

The SANE package version 1.0.3 or later must be installed before installing Image Scan! for Linux.
http://sane.alioth.debian.org/

For help on installation of Debian and RPM binary packages, refer to your distribution’s documentation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "rgand",

Assuming you have downloaded the easy to install ".deb" file, all you need to do is double click it (usually), or you can right click it and "open with", " ... package installer". If the file is archived, then right click it, extract here, locate the ".deb" file, and then double click it.

If an archiving program pops-up for a ".deb" file, then close the archive program, and bring up your file manager and right click the ".deb" file, and open with the package installer. If you still have a problem, let us know.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

phd21 wrote:Hi "rgand",

Assuming you have downloaded the easy to install ".deb" file, all you need to do is double click it (usually), or you can right click it and "open with", " ... package installer". If the file is archived, then right click it, extract here, locate the ".deb" file, and then double click it.

If an archiving program pops-up for a ".deb" file, then close the archive program, and bring up your file manager and right click the ".deb" file, and open with the package installer. If you still have a problem, let us know.

Hope this helps ...
This does help. I extracted it and wound up with three folders, each with a .deb file in them. The folders are: 'core', 'data' and 'plugins'. Do I install all three and if so, is there any particular order that is best?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "rgand",

Okay, bear with me a moment. I do not have an Epson scanner or an Epson multi-function printer with a scanner. And, apparently for some reason they compressed the ".deb" files into an archive ""iscan-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz" file (for 64-bit, a different one for 32-bit). So, like you, when I clicked the "Download button", it downloaded, and automatically brought up my archive manager, which I clicked "File", "Save as", and saved the file into my downloads folder because I like to have a copy. I could have extracted the contents in the "Archive Manager", but I prefer to use my file manager to right click archive files, and select "Extract Here - auto-detect sub folders". It created 3 sub-folders "core", "data", and "plugins", each with their own ".deb" file. It looks like Epson wants you to install them in this order:

data- double click the ".deb" file in this folder first, and follow the on screen instructions, then do the next one, and so on.
iscan-data_1.36.0-1_all.deb

core - looks like USB drivers.
iscan_2.30.1-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb

plugins - this looks like it is for networking the scanner, or connecting it using an ethernet port or perhaps wifi, so I am not sure you need to install this, unless you are sharing the scanner on a network, or using ethernet cable, or WiFi. But, since they included it, you should probably install it.
iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb

I would restart or reboot after this.

From the link on the Epson page, are the cryptic instructions below, and the readme file said to use the "install.sh" script.

FYI: If you want to use a script file, right click the file "install.sh", or it might have no file extension "install. ", then click properties, click the "permission" tab, check "is executable", click ok/apply, then you can double click the script file to run it. Sometimes you can just double click the script (bash script) file and it will run, but most of the time you have to give yourself permission to run a script file.
DEB
Installing data package
Installing core package
 or
# dpkg --install esci-interpreter-$scanner_$ver-$rel_$arch.deb
# dpkg --install iscan-plugin-esdip-$version-$release.deb
Normally, when there is an easy to install ".deb" file there is only one file, and it is not archived. But, as you just found out that is not always the case. Usually there is a "readme" file included which you can right click and "open with", as text.

Hope this helps ...
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks, phd21. I'll tackle that in the morning. I appreciate the help and will post how it goes.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

phd21, I finally got a chance to see about getting this installed. I got the packages installed but still can't get power to the scanner. It gets power from the USB so is there somewhere in Mint where I can tell the computer to send power to the USB ports? Thanks.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Check that the USB connection is properly plugged in at both ends, scanner and computer. Perhaps try another USB port.

When I check the Epson Download Centre for drivers for the V39, i am offered the following:

For 32 bit - "iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.0.x86.deb.tar.gz"
For 64 bit - "iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz"

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... ae23c0a54f
and

Extraction and installation are as described eloquently by phd21.
Last edited by kyphi on Sun May 01, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

kyphi wrote:The USB connection is for data transfer between computer and scanner. The scanner is powered from the mains via a transformer.

When I check the Epson Download Centre for drivers for the V39, i am offered the following:

For 32 bit - "iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.0.x86.deb.tar.gz"
For 64 bit - "iscan-gt-s650-bundle-1.0.0.x64.deb.tar.gz"

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... ae23c0a54f
and

Extraction and installation are as described eloquently by phd21.
Thanks for the reply, kyphi. You're right, phd21 did a bang-up job of getting me through the installation.

You mentioned the scanner is powered through the mains via transformer. I'm not sure what that means, but the scanner has only one cable, that being the USB cable. When I boot to Windows, it works. When I boot to Mint, it doesn't. I don't find anything in the Mint system settings on this.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Previous post edited.
You are quite correct, it is USB powered only - I checked the specifications.

I do think that you currently have the wrong driver files for the Perfection V39.

There are no specific adjustments to be made in Linux Mint - USB devices are automatically recognised when plugged in. You should get a listing of the scanner (when connected and switched "on") if you type

Code: Select all

lsusb
into a terminal window.
If you do not get that then the scanner is not connected. Check your connections - some scanners have a LAN connection socket at the back as well as a USB socket.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

The scanner has no power when plugged in. I've installed the Epson iscan software packages as phd21 described.

lsusb netted this:

rg@rg-G75VW ~ $ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 064e:d213 Suyin Corp.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 04b8:013d Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 045e:0768 Microsoft Corp. Sidewinder X4
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04a9:10d8 Canon, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:0414 Belkin Components
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
rg@rg-G75VW ~ $

If I read this correctly, the 8th line down might be the scanner. It's the only Epson item listed and I can't think of anything else I have made by Epson. I made that line bold for easy location.

The scanning software doesn't find it.

iscan:
iscan.png
Simple Scan:
SimpleScan.png
Xsane:
Xsane.png
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The result from "lsusb" identifies your Epson scanner (ID: 04b8:013d).

Did you install the software packages I referred you to?

There are 3:
1. iscan-data_1.36.0-1_all.deb
2. iscan_2.30.1-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
3. iscan-plugin-gt-s650_1.1.0-2_amd64.deb

Install is by double mouse click. Then reboot.

You are using 64 bit, right?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

On my Debian and LMDE 2 systems i also needed to install xsltproc to let my Epson Perfection V350 work
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

kyphi wrote:The result from "lsusb" identifies your Epson scanner (ID: 04b8:013d).

There are 3:

I thought that line was the scanner. I downloaded the iscan file from the page you linked to. The first two .deb files were the same. The plugin file was iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb. I'll download it again and extract it to see if I got the wrong one. If so, I'll uninstall it and install the correct one. I installed as you mentioned and rebooted.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Bolle1961 wrote:On my Debian and LMDE 2 systems i also needed to install xsltproc to let my Epson Perfection V350 work
I'll look into that. Thanks.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

rgand wrote:
kyphi wrote:The result from "lsusb" identifies your Epson scanner (ID: 04b8:013d).

There are 3:

I thought that line was the scanner. I downloaded the iscan file from the page you linked to. The first two .deb files were the same. The plugin file was iscan-network-nt_1.1.1-1_amd64.deb. I'll download it again and extract it to see if I got the wrong one. If so, I'll uninstall it and install the correct one. I installed as you mentioned and rebooted.
That was the problem. Somehow I had downloaded the wrong bundle. I did it again and extracted it. I uninstalled the plugins file and installed the right one and rebooted again. That took care of it.

Thanks again to all of you for the great help.

Edit: I just tried all three: iscan, Simple Scan and Xsane. They all work great. You guys know your stuff.
valhalla_dweller

Re: [SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Post by valhalla_dweller »

I spent about 3 hours today getting my Perfection V39 to work on linux was truly horrible. Tried everything here and many other things and it still didn't work. Even added an entry to some conf file somewhere.

Anyway, have the 64 bit debian drivers and here's what I think the final steps were that made it finally spring to life:

1. The

./install.sh
in the download from the Epson drivers page maybe does not work so well. Do it the long way, it's only about 2 minutes longer anyway but could save you hours!

data package :
core package :
plug-in package :

(in that order)

That alone did not do it what was needed was:

apt-get install sane sane-utils libsane-extras xsane
as described here.

That sane thing obviously wasn't completely there in my Linux 18 installation, maybe just some of it was but more of it was installed by that command. Then after opening xsane from the main menu the scanner fired up after being completely dead for 3 hours, no restart necessary :D
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Post by rgand »

Glad you got it working, vallhalla_dweller. I've been using mine flawlessly since I got the right bundle installed.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”