[SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KvS

Re: [SOLVED] Epson Perfection V39 Scanner Won't work in Linux

Post by KvS »

Just to save others some possible frustration (it's my own stupidity really), I followed the link from valhalla_dweller but the drivers and software from there did not work for me. A lot of hair pulling later I found that the drivers and software from the URL http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.1 do work. Maybe the most robust way to convince yourself you have the right ones is to simply start at http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/search/01/search/ and make the right choices from there.
bravesentry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bravesentry »

Just wanted to add that the drivers seem to have moved here: http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

January 22, 2021 Update:

By no means am I an expert on Linux. I had to refer back to this thread to get direction. I did have to do some fumbling around to figure this out so I am now posting what worked for me in case there are others out there wanting to use their Epson V39 Perfection scanners.

I recently installed both Mint 20.1 and 19.3. In neither case did the file downloaded above get my V39 scanner to work. I downloaded the latest driver from Epson and got it working.

The driver that worked in both 64-bit installations is epsonscan2-bundle-6.6.2.2.x86_64.deb (1).tar.gz. I guess if you have a 32 bit system, you would need to download the other driver available.

Here's the link for the downloads. http://support.epson.net/linux/en/epsonscan2.php

Note that the newest driver has only two packages to install with this newer driver instead of three.

This is what worked for me (I had the scanner plugged in when I did this but I don't know if it makes any difference):
1. Download the appropriate driver package and extract it. Open that extracted folder to see the core folder, plugins folder and install.sh file
2. Double click on the install.sh file and choose 'run in terminal'.
3. Open the core folder and double-click on the .deb file to install it.
4. Open the plugins folder and double-click on the .deb file to install it.
5. Reboot and your system should interrogate your scanner and turn it on.
6. It should now work with Simple Scan.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
andrew3d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andrew3d »

rgand, I recently switched to Linux Mint 20.1 from Windows. So I am a beginner. I really appreciate you taking your time to break it down simply. I was wondering how I would be able follow what some of the guys were suggesting. Overwhelming? Yep, a little. :)
I will give your step by step instructions a try tonight. Thank you again.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Hey, welcome to Linux! I switched from Windows over 7 years ago. It's still like a breath of fresh air to boot to Linux. It takes 30 seconds, including choosing which Linux version to boot to and entering the password.

If you haven't found it yet, go through the 10 things to do first in Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon. If you don't have Cinnamon, there is a 'what to do' for Mate and Xfce, too.

Let me know back how those instructions work for you.
andrew3d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andrew3d »

rgand,
It worked beautifully. I am so happy. Getting the scanner working frees me from Windows entirely! :D
I can’t thank you enough.
I will try the First 10 things to do link. Yes, I did choose Cinnamon.
andrew.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

I'm glad to hear it worked as expected. Thanks for the feedback. Congrats on getting it working and being free of Windows.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

Just an update on this thread for the V39 on Mint 20. Epson has revised the *bundle package. If one downloads the most recent one (which as of this writing is imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-20-3.65.0.x64) then the install script runs and installs the drivers in Mint 20 just fine.

Go here to get the driver package:

https://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php

Choose the package for Mint 20 LTS and download it.

Extract the contents, and follow the instructions in the README file.

You will probably have to reboot after the install so that Mint 20 realizes the drivers are there.

This install worked on my Mint 20.1 installation.

Frank.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the link, Frank. It's always best to use the latest drivers.

My scanner has been working fine except that once I'm done scanning, if I close the scanning application, either "Document Scanner" or "Epson Scan 2", it wouldn't find the scanner again and I would have to re-boot. I could scan more documents as long as I didn't close the application.

I installed the latest driver from Epson. With the new driver, I can close "Document Scan", re-open it and it will now find the scanner again BUT it still won't scan again until I re-boot. I can't say that's an improvement since the net result is the same as before. If I use "Epson Scan 2", it still won't find the scanner again after it has been closed and re-started. With either one, a reboot is still required. It was worth a try, though.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

Not sure what software you are using, but I find VueScan to be one of the finest products around. It is multi-platform as well, including a native Linux version. The support they give you is also excellent, and the licensing terms are generous.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the reply. I've been using Documant Scanner and Epson Scan 2. I decided to try VueScan so I installed it from the repository. When I launched it, it said I had an Epson V39 Scanner. When I tried to scan, though, it told me no scanners were found.

VueScanError.png
I tried Document Scanner right after that and it found it fine.
FrankB616
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FrankB616 »

I suspect that you have a very old version of VueScan. Current version is 9.7.50. I used to get that message as well, but the above new version did see my V39 scanner, and reported that I needed to have a driver installed.

It is a paid and licensed product, but very reasonable and well worth it for the support they provide. Ed Hamrick himself helped me get this product going with my Epson v39 scanner a couple of years ago when I first ran into problems on Kubuntu. If you downloaded VueScan for free from the software center and did not buy it from Hamrick Software, then that may be the issue.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

That's good to know. The version I had (I uninstalled it) was whatever is in the repository. I may have to spring for the paid version, then.

edit: I checked in the repository and the version there is 9.7.29.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

If you go for the paid version, buy the Pro version, then you have lifetime upgrades.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Bolle1961 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:58 am If you go for the paid version, buy the Pro version, then you have lifetime upgrades.
Good advice. Thanks.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”